• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grandma's Shop name Morris

mksorsby

proper brummie kid
My Grandmother had a shop at 245 St. Andrews Road, the shop sold cooked meats ect. does anyone know of the shop . I never met my Grandparents, I know that my Grandmother went into the sanatorium at West Heath in 1939 but know nothing else of the time in Birmingham she was married to Henry Martin Morris he was a butcher I believe

Map here shown in red is 245 St. Andrews Road
1930's Kelly's shows Henry Martin Morris as Shopkeeper

As a bit of added information
1915 Kellys shows No. 253 as Todd & Prestidge Boot Repairer
1930's Kellys shows No. 253 as Harry Todd Boot Repairer

245 st andrews road.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much, I know very little of this side of my family, my dad would not have anything to do with his father. There must have been reasons he would not discuss.

I can tell you that your grandparents (Henry Martin Morris and Ada Annie Neale) married in Birmingham in 1906.

In 1911 they were living at 45 St Andrews Street along with tier children May age 4, Clara age 3 and Stanley and 4 months.

Henry was born in Radnor, Ada in Staffordshire.

You probably have all this info already.

Thankyou I do have many years of searching and a lot on my Grandparents but not knowing them is a bit of a disappointment to me. I do wonder if my father was the son of the lodger as he has the lodgers name as his second Christian name. Henry is on his birth cert. but maybe there could have been problems, who knows.
I was told by a cousin on my dads side that Henry killed a bull that excaped from the abattoir where he worked, he poleaxed it and I did wonder if the bull ring in Birmingham got it's name from the bulls being kept there, any idea!!!!!

The area was first known as Corn Cheaping in reference to the corn market on the site. The name Bull Ring referred to the green within Corn Cheaping that was used for bull-baiting. The 'ring' was a hoop of iron in Corn Cheaping to which bulls were tied for baiting before slaughter.[9] The joining of the two words in the 21st-century development of the area to form Bullring caused controversy amongst some residents and other people who were angry at the change of what was described as a "historic spelling."

That is very interesting, it sounds rather barbaric. Thank you for the information.I am sorry I never got to Birmingham, I would have liked to have seen where my dad was born and brought up, My dad was a driver and I believe he worked for Hughes Bicuits at one time. He was also a milkman, before he went into the army, he drove a flamethrower tank during the war.

Could I please ask if anyone has a photo of 245 St Andrews Road, this was my Grand Parents shop and I would love to see a picture of it if possible, thank you in anticipation

Could I please ask if anyone has a photo of 245 St Andrews Road, this was my Grand Parents shop and I would love to see a picture of it if possible, thank you in anticipation

could we have a bit more info please ie the name above the shop and what years you are talking about..may make it easier to track down a photo for you

lyn

lyn

Hi, I am not sure if there was signage over the shop, they lived at the same place 245 St. Andrews Road from 1906 until Granddad Henry died in 1963 Grandmother died in 1952 so maybe the shop no was longer in use. I just don't know any details, sorry

In the 1921 kellys it is just listed as Hy Martin Mhorris , shopkeeper. by 1932 it is Mrs Ada Morris, shopkeeper, but between the 1939 and 1940 editions the shop disappears.
The position of 245 is shown in red below

map c1950 showing 245 St Andrews Road.jpg

Back