• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grandfather's House - Mr Albert Raimond - Handsworth and Cyclo Gear - Difficulty in Finding Correct Address

Argaud (Raimond) Gerald

proper brummie kid
Bonjour he arrive from France and make a creation of Cyclo Gear.... with Mr Camilis i send you some photo need to be reduce....
and During the War V1 arrive no far on a back garden...near look like a Castel ....but he was in France resistance with one of his son Ado with Buck Master (was col at this time) "S.O.E" who landing no far from St Etienne the 10 September 1944 with his secretary.(Verat Atkins)..i have the photo....

Welcome to the Forum, Gerald. We look forward to seeing your images. Please let us know if you have any difficulty in posting them.

Chris

In case members might find it helpful, here is a translation of the letter shown in Gerald's earlier post:

Mr. President,​
A third of the French population uses the Cycle and the Autocycle, which currently represents 17 million users who cover 20 to 30 kilometers each day.​
If today's bicycle has reached the state of perfection that we recognise and represents the most practical and economical means of transport, it is thanks to the constant improvement and perfection of the parts which make it up.​
We think that you and your members might like to know the origin and history of two of the most important component parts:​

ORIGIN AND MANUFACTURE OF THE FREE WHEEL
ORIGINS OF THE DERAILLEUR

Summary of the conference held at the Headquarters of La Société des Ingénieurs de l'Automobile (Cycle et Motorcycle Section) - par M. Jean Raimond, le 9 Fèvrier 1953, in Paris. (Association of Automotive Engineers - Cycle and Motorcycle Section)
Any mechanical device used for competitive sports, requires an assembly of parts, of which the design, the manufacture and the use must be perfect. The LIBRE WHEEL "CYCLO COMPETITION (The Cyclo Competition Free Wheel) adopted by the organization of the Tour de France since 1956 has assured its followers every satisfaction, and the appreciation of Chief Mechanic Paulo DELAY gives it its true value.​
If your members need any help, we are at their disposal for any information.​
We ask you to accept, Mr. President, our best regards.​

(I wonder if a copy of the paper presented by M. Raimond to the Conference survives).

Chris

Merci Thanks i can do the translation
Thanks at every body now if some people have some photos again for the Cyclo Gear or for the Manor at Handworth
83 Hall road where my grand Parents and my Mam Marthe and Oncle (Ado and Jean) leave when they are in Holiday or for working for Cyclo Gear...Merci

lovely photos taken at osborne house...i take it that you do know that the house is still standing in hamstead road ?

lyn

I don't know i try to see with Google map
and next year "after Covid" i try to go to Birmingham

it would be good to welcome you to birmingham when the time is right...in the meantime here is a google street view of osborne house...its the large house with the blue door...if you zoom in it does say osborne house at the entrance...click on link below to view the house

Bonjour
happy from this photo in a Garden of Osborne House in September 1936
top right was Albert Raimond Grand Dad on his Left was my Mum Marthe Argaud ( Raimond)
on her left brother Ado Raimond ( Was during II War with S.O.E. Buck Master at St Etienne group Ange...)
under on a left friend to my Mum Colette on her right my Grand Mum Rose Raimond ( Galien) and the next 3 Friends who leaving at Birmingham if i remember the daughter was living in London but the Name of Family ?? Can you help me ?
Merci Gerald

Attachments

• Osborne house September 1936.jpg
    Osborne house September 1936.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 11
Back