• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grandads War Medals.

W

Wendy

I am so pleased to tell you that Michael's sister and her husband have purchased their grandfathers WW1 war medals. We were both contacted by a man on genesreunited who asked us to confirm his army number. He already had his name from the medal matched on the 'genes' site. We both replied but he never got back to me, so I assumed it wasn't the right person. Michael's sister told us this week she had bought the medals. The man who had them had bought them at an auction some time ago. He was a collecter of WW1 items. He has started to dispose of his collection and found us on the 'genes' website. The other strange thing is Michael's grandfather had half brothers by the name of Spink, the auction house the medals were bought from was called Spink's Auction House. I am just pleased they are back with the family after all these years.

R.I.P. John Charles Pockett.

I am pleased for Michael and his Sister, thanks for sharing with us Wendy.

As promised I eventually managed to photograph John Charles Pockett's first world war medals.

Hi Wendy, just a couple of thoughts on this, when the seller asked for your Grandfathers army number, it would have been better to ask him what number was on the medals he had, the other point is the back of the 1914 Star looks rather highly polished,
Quite a bit of skulduggery goes on with renumbering, and renaming medals.

Nick

I think they are the real macoy as the name on the edge is right and it doesn't look ground. My sister in law may have polished them I will ask but thanks for the tip.

Back