• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grandads regiment

I did try the absent voters register but didn't come across anything definite. Difficult with no address as the name is quite common.

This is a difficult one !
I can't find a British regiment with those initials. "att." of course, means attached and my first thought is that he was attached to some kind of Pioneer Corps unit. I'll also try and look up WW1 Canadian units and get back to you.
This is a difficult one !
I can't find a British regiment with those initials. "att." of course, means attached and my first thought is that he was attached to some kind of Pioneer Corps unit. I'll also try and look up WW1 Canadian units and get back to you.
I’ve been thinking, what if the Registrar heard him wrong and he actually said BCRR. Birmingham City something Regiment. The ‘Birmingham Pals’ trained at Sutton Coldfield Park. What would the second R refer to ?

I’ve been thinking, what if the Registrar heard him wrong and he actually said BCRR. Birmingham City something Regiment. The ‘Birmingham Pals’ trained at Sutton Coldfield Park. What would the second R refer to ?
No, the Birmingham Pals became battalions of the Warwicks.
If someone did enter your grandad's unit wrongly then you could be sent on a wild goose chase. My great uncle was in the DCLI, (Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry). Someone wrote DLI, which was the initials of the Durham Light Infantry. Only a slip of the pen but it made a hell of a difference.

Does he put a profession on the birth certificates of his children?

Also for the absent voters list are there addresses listed that be cross referenced with any James Williams.

also pete do you have him on the 1911 census?..i think it definately says PCRR on his marriage cert...if you look at the way the letter P is written in park and C in coldfield they look the same to me but as said there could be an error...very difficult one to solve

lyn

Last edited:
I have been doing a bit if digging and theink the first bit is "att 1 batt" which is attached to 1st battalion. The I doscovered that in April 1916 some units were formed called "Protection Companies" see here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-defence-corps-of-1916-1918/ that might be the PC. RR often sreferred to Reserve Regiments.

Just an idea
That's an excellent "bit of digging" Janice, I'd never heard of the Royal Defence Corps (and I can't find an actual picture of their cap badge either).
Sadly, on reading your attachment, I notice that the RDC consisted of a number of companys though, and grandad was attached to the "1st battalion" of whatever this mysterious unit was !

hi. my grandad was a rifle man in ww1,sherwood foresters.how can i get is service details etc.

Post a name and any details that you have and someone will see if his WW1 records exist (via Ancestry or FMP). It is likely they wont's as so many were destroyed in WW2. If they don't exist then you could try contacting the National Archives or the regimental archivist to see if they have any details.

Post a name and any details that you have and someone will see if his WW1 records exist (via Ancestry or FMP). It is likely they wont's as so many were destroyed in WW2. If they don't exist then you could try contacting the National Archives or the regimental archivist to see if they have any details.
thank you i will do that.

Have you tried the Great War Forum?

It is an excellent forum with many very knowledgeable members who would be highly likely to have an answer assuming the inform given is correct.

Back