• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grandads regiment

Pete The fireman

Brummie babby
On my grandfather’s marriage certificate, dated Dec 25 1916, his occupation is shown as soldier, his address is stated Sutton Coldfield Park. Also in the address box it states att 1Bat P.C.R.R. Does anyone know what this means ?

Attachments

• CE34578D-6BDD-44C0-BD71-585E2938E123.png
    CE34578D-6BDD-44C0-BD71-585E2938E123.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
On my grandfather’s marriage certificate, dated Dec 25 1916, his occupation is shown as soldier, his address is stated Sutton Coldfield Park. Also in the address box it states att 1Bat P.C.R.R. Does anyone know what this means ?
This is a difficult one !
I can't find a British regiment with those initials. "att." of course, means attached and my first thought is that he was attached to some kind of Pioneer Corps unit. I'll also try and look up WW1 Canadian units and get back to you.

Closest I could see was Princess Charlotte of Wales Royal Berkshire Regiment.

Nice to see that at least the handwriting is readable, so often it's not.

Sutton Park? wasn't that a prisoner of war camp during the war?

I think Sutton Park was used as a convalescent camp in WW1. Could the C.R.R. be Convalescent Rest and Rehabilitation? Not sure about the P. One question - was he English?

Well, I've had a good "dig around" in this one!
I went for Canadian units, hoping PCRR would be one of their provincial regiments, to no avail.
The fact that granddad was attached to a battalion indicates that the initials could be of a regiment but nothing comes up. Until I find an alternative I'll carry on looking for a Pioneer unit.
Pete, have you looked for granddad's medal card ? That should tell us what his parent regiment was, (a lot of men from the Labour Corps were attached to pioneer units).
Back to my spade !

Well, I've had a good "dig around" in this one!
I went for Canadian units, hoping PCRR would be one of their provincial regiments, to no avail.
The fact that granddad was attached to a battalion indicates that the initials could be of a regiment but nothing comes up. Until I find an alternative I'll carry on looking for a Pioneer unit.
Pete, have you looked for granddad's medal card ? That should tell us what his parent regiment was, (a lot of men from the Labour Corps were attached to pioneer units).
Back to my spade !
I don’t have any further info, as far as a medal card, I have no idea what that is, sorry.

If you give us his name and any other info then some of us could do some digging. See if we can find a medal card for instance.

The full text =
James Williams - 21 - Bachelor- Soldier - Sutton Park etc - James Williams - Sanitary Inspector.
Betsy May Butt - 20 - Spinster - 127 Watery? Lane - John Butt (deceased) Nail Carter.
Both signed. Witnesses: Harry King, Fanny Bradnock.

The Birmingham Pals regiments were based in sutton Pak for a while.

in case its of interest here is the thread for the birmigham pals

lyn

No, that was my ultimate goal.
I didn't know which battalion of the Warwicks my granddad was in, untiI I found him on the Absent Voters List. (10th Bn.). You might have luck there.
This PCRR might simply be a mistake, made by the person who wrote the entry. Certainly, when looking for my great uncles war memorial, I was put way off course because someone had written his regiment incorrectly.

Back