• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Turk Public House Ladywood

robb128

master brummie
Hi Need help in finding out if relations of mine ran The Grand Turk Public House in Ledsam St Ladywood.The names of the couple
who managed it were John and Eliza Houghton date1891. Thank you all. Robb128

pollypops

master brummie
Hi was The Grand Turk definitely in Ledsam Street? The reason I ask is because I have searched in the old papers and can not find a mention of a pub of that name in Ledsam Street - which is unusual as usually pubs are easy to find.

I am not sure if this is your relative but I have found a mention of a John Houghton at the Crown Inn, Villa Street in September 1895 - an application for a music license was objected to because of unsuitability of the premises.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi pollypops
I do believe there was a pub of that name in ledsam street but it was built well after that date of the 1829 as Robb said
And it was there in the thirty and after the war years up till about 1955/ 6 it was still standing
That's when the occupants of these dwelling was started to move out as most of all there was quite afew bombed houses still standing
And derict but I am sure the pub was still standing. In those years and it was a dirty green tiled pub with no punters going in for a drink
As the community in the area had mostly gone there was quite area pubs very virabrant around the corner of ledsam street
Which was very close to monument rd, junction and ledsam street there was a load of pubs within a stones throw
When they started to demo ledsam street in the late fifty and early sixties and close to the seventy this pub was slightly changed name
And was taken over by Chinese people but no one went in around the corner on Ladywood road they built a brilliant posh pub
With deep flush carpets and it was a new designed pub different from the old style pubs it was called the squirrel
And it was opersite old ladfywood police station before they rebuilt and designed the police station as it is today
But that pub on ledsam street was the last virtually building to be demolished on ledsam street
Polly as I am tappping away here now, I am trying to cast my mind back sixty odd years back and thinking of the old Ladywood
As I am a kid from Ladywood and thinking of ledsam street where it started from at monument rd
Facing ickneild Square by Bellis. And Morgan across over onto ledsam street and walking down to old man Clarke's scrap yard
And there on the corner was sheepcote street and the road bended around to the right and ledsam street continued up
And Ladywood red ran across and if you continued to carry on by crossing over the Ladywood red to the policice station
On there right hand of there building what was left of ledsam street now I am thinking it was only a short little bit left of ledsam street
Was the small pub called the turks head which basically to me was slightly behind the police sleeping quarters they had built
For the single police officers and the pub was close to this building
I think that was the exact for the turk , it was in the seventy /eighty it was demoed and rebuilt pub and it was called the welcome pub
But then the area was in a complete make over and just behind there was plough and harrow road and beauthfort road
With all there big Victorian houses with gravel drives and with house servants where they had the bells for each room to ring for
The servants and bring there food I went with my mother one day when there with my mother and seen these hanging bell boxes
For myself
But after the make over started the Ladywood road was changed and widened ant that particular part was changed to Alston street
And was seperated from the ledsam street original and became Alston Street and the new name for the pub that was rebuilt and named the Welcome
And was the old pub of the grand turks Astonian,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Hi Need help in finding out if relations of mine ran The Grand Turk Public House in Ledsam St Ladywood.The names of the couple
who managed it were John and Eliza Houghton date1891. Thank you all. Robb128

hi robb will look for a photo of the grand turk that your rellie ran in 1891 and if as polly suggests that you find out your houghton rellie also ran the crown inn villa st i do have a photo of that pub if you need it...

lyn

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Robb

The Grand Turk was at number 2 Ledsam Street and was on the corner of Morville St, I've looked for a photo but no luck so far.

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Robb

As I said no photo of the pub, but looking at the problem from another angle I came up with the fact that the Grand Turk had closed down and in later years it became the Ledsam Drapery Warehouse. That I have got a photo of.

Attachments

• Ladywood Ledsam St 1964.jpg
    Ladywood Ledsam St 1964.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 47

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
well done phil...at least we have a photo of the building...i am also struggling to find one when it was the pub but will keep looking...must be one out there somewhere...

lyn

pollypops

master brummie
Well done Phil. I wonder if anyone can find it on the 1891 census - I've had a look and can only find number 2 Ledsam Street on the 1901 - the person is listed as a beer house keeper but has no pub name.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Polly
Yes it lists John H. Houghton as clerk with Eliza as publican (not unusual), and describes it as Public House, Grand Turk.
Incidentally, for those who watched Martin Shaw on WDYTYA last year, if you look at the shop to the left of Frederick French on Phil's photo (partly behind lamppost), that is where Edwin Hatch , Martin's 5x(?) great grandfather lived when he first came to Birmingham from Great Yarmouth (it was part of Ryland St north then, not Ledsam St)

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Polly
Yes it lists John H. Houghton as clerk with Eliza as publican (not unusual), and describes it as Public House, Grand Turk.
Incidentally, for those who watched Martin Shaw on WDYTYA last year, if you look at the shop to the left of Frederick French on Phil's photo (partly behind lamppost), that is where Edwin Hatch , Martin's 5x(?) great grandfather lived when he first came to Birmingham from Great Yarmouth (it was part of Ryland St north then, not Ledsam St)

great piece of extra info mike...

lyn

pollypops

master brummie
Well done Mike - the 1891 confirms that Eliza and John Houghton were at the Grand Turk at the time Robb128 thought they were.
And thanks for the info about the shop and the connection to Martin Shaw/WDYTYA - I have that episode recorded as its one of my favourites - must watch it again now!

robb128

master brummie
Thank you for the help, on confirming info re Grand Turk Public House,if anymore more pics are available would be good.
Thanks again for your time.
Rob houghton

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Grand Turk seems to have only been there from some time between the 1862 and 1867 directories, it (then 44 Ryland St North) before being a butchers

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Mike it is listed in the 1903 edition of Kelly's Directory at 2 Ledsam St owned or managed by a Fredrick W Drew.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phil
in 1882 and before this was part of Ryland St north, but then , before 1881 it became part of Ledsam St. You can see that in the entry for Ryland St north for 1867 below, where Ryland st north goes as far as Chester st. In 1882 Most of Ryland st north became part of Ryland st , but nos 1-30 (and the equivalent the other side of the road) became part of Ledsam St. It took me ages to work out what was happening when I was following Edwin Hatch, so not surprised you queries it

PO_direct__ryland_st_north_1876.jpg