• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

Looks like it’s going to re-open in the summer ! Viv.

Thanks for the link Viv. Great to see the old place restored, and to see my auntie, Evelyn Hanson, who was head receptionist in the 1949 photo in the video (sitting on the left in the Reception)

Judy

cant say just how happy i am that this wonderful building that we nearly lost has been bought back to life....hats off to everyone involved it looks stunning....lovely photo of your auntie in 1949 judy :) do you think you may manage to visit the hotel for a look around??

lyn

I'd certainly love to see inside it when it opens Lyn. Must try and get up to Brum when it does.

Judy

I think the lift used to be between those huge pillars in the second photo. I think there was ever one when I worked there in the 80s.

A cocktail bar at the hotel in 1954. To be honest, it doesn’t look much to write home about to me ! Viv.

5F91C558-1CE5-4F83-938A-0B7CAC93B799.jpeg

My maternal GGM died in the Grand Hotel, in early 1895.

The wonderfully-named John Howell Frederick Augustus Chandler, an affluent 33-yo watchmaker from Leamington Spa, had an affair (...although it also could've been rape) with my maternal GGM, Hilda Gertrude Hindle, a young woman then working in the Grand Hotel, Birmingham. As Hilda was unmarried she was sent away for her confinement and my GM was actually born in the General Lying-In Hospital in central London. While the baby survived, unfortunately Hilda never recovered her health and died within 6-mths, back at work in the Hotel, at the age of 21, the child never knowingly having been acknowledged by the father (he may never even have known of the birth). My GM was adopted by a local family, the Nethercotts, but never knew any of her history. A sad but fascinating story, with still quite a bit yet to be discovered (...the Hindles/Longbottoms were themselves quite a shady bunch, by all accounts), and in any case much of this has only recently come to light through DNA testing.

Does anyone know this story? I've previously contacted the GH, but have been told that no records remain of that period. I'd love to know more, or even find some pictures of any of the players mentioned. Chandler apparently had jewellers stores in London, Paris and Leamington at one time.

Paul

Last edited:
Would it be this chap in the ad for January 1902?

There was a JFA Chandler sworn on the Grand Jury at Warwick Quarter Sessions in January 1912.

7CB833FC-426A-4936-A844-16D193D9385B.jpeg

Watchmaker to the Admiralty and the Indian Government. Many adverts for FA Chandler of Leamington, but no where else.

Would it be this chap in the ad for January 1902?

There was a JFA Chandler sworn on the Grand Jury at Warwick Quarter Sessions in January 1912.

View attachment 142779

Yes, that's the dude. He seems to have alternately gone under the names John, Frederick, or Augustus, whichever one suited him at the time, but 'F. A.' seemed to be the most common set of initials. He was also apparently a local mason (Jephson Lodge) and held a number of local civic positions, but I've still not seen a photo of him, which would be wonderful.

Last edited:
At last, the Grand Hotel in Colmore Row should start reopening on Tuesday May 18th. I have never stayed there but might give myself a treat, one day, if it is not excessively expensive.
Dave, I only ever looked inside (once).............As you say it would be worth the treat if we every get to fly again!

Back