• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

Interesting that the card advertises self contained suites. I expect that meant bedroom with sitting room area. Doubt it meant with bathroom ensuite for 300 rooms. Or did it?

Agree Carolina. Central/Midland numbers definitely sound classier too! 'Oh yes dahhhhling , we're a Central number' Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Prior to the late 20's it was the lovely old Hip bath for full ablutions and the pitcher and ewer for the daily necessities! The later provided discreetly each day by an unseen maid and the former brought up via the 'dumb waiters' or service lifts then the client alerted when all was ready

Grand Hotel Distance View 20140926.jpg

This view over the roof of St Phillips cathedral is the first glimpse of the top three floors after completion of refurbishment and part of the protective curtain removed, leaving a see through screen. The photograph is likely to be published by Hortons Estates Ltd., soon and has been provided first to the Forum, because of the keen interest from some of its members. Allanbrum

That's great Allan and thank you very much. When it emerges from its covers it's going to look stunning. Well worth the wait! Already you gain a real sense of its stature as a Grand Hotel. On behalf of members thank you for an early glimpse of the revitalised building. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Grand Hotel, now with a crane. As seen from Colmore Square, on a cold, but brilliant blue sky Saturday!

I won't hold my breath about that Jenny we Brummies can find fault with almost anything.

it really lifts my spirits to see a building being restored not demolished...thanks for the photos ell

lyn

No problem Astoness / Lyn!

Taken 10 years from it being listed for anything to happen!

Note that all of the shops on Colmore Row have closed down at the Grand Hotel. Assume they are going to be working on those shop spaces.

They"re making good progress. If only more buildings were given this sort of attention. I know it's taken years to get this building slowly restored and there's still a lot more to do, but why is this much more promising than other projects? Viv.

In my early playing days I worked in bands at the old Grand Hotel, and sometime during the sixties/seventies (cannot remember when), I undertook a national lecture drum clinic/percussion tour, which including an evening at the Grand Hotel for a room full of 'Brummie' drummers. A most enjoyable time for me. Eddie

They"re making good progress. If only more buildings were given this sort of attention. I know it's taken years to get this building slowly restored and there's still a lot more to do, but why is this much more promising than other projects? Viv.

viv i would suspect because its in the city centre...

lyn

Having seen the Hidden Spaces photos of the Scala cinema, I'm hoping something happens to that (either restore it and give it a use, or knock Scala House down and redevelop it).

How could it just be abandoned like a time capsule since 1988?

Back