• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

Hi Ell. When you visited did you get a sense of work actually being carried out on the main building? Although it might be difficult to tell if it was a Sunday. Viv.

Wow, Wendy. Some excellent work going on there behind the covers. Re-carving new pieces etc shows these skills are still alive and kicking although I expect some techniques have moved on with newer technology. The photos give a real sense of what a mammoth task this is. And those photos are just of the exterior. Thanks for the link Wendy. Viv.

Hi Ell. When you visited did you get a sense of work actually being carried out on the main building? Although it might be difficult to tell if it was a Sunday. Viv.

No couldn't see nothing (all hidden behind the white sheets and scaffolding). Was in the churchyard of the cathedral (was heading to Temple Row West as a new plaque has been installed at 3 Temple Row West for Samuel Lines).

OK Ell, thanks all the same. From Wendy's link it looks like they're making a lot of progress. Be interesting to know how the interior is progressing too. Viv.

Wonder if it will be a four star or five star hotel once completed?

No problem.

In that area people have a Holiday Inn Express in the former Kennedy Tower. And a Premier Inn on Waterloo Street!

Thanks Jennyann. Impressive. Amazing that Horton's have invested 3.5 million - an investment they'll never see a return on. And they're restoring an additional facade along Church St (by the same architect, Plevins). So it certainly sounds like a genuine commitment to a high quality restoration. The staircase will be moved to the Church St entrance - which will become the main entrance too - which I suppose is a pity. And there needs to be more lifts installed. But in the circumstances, we can hardly complain given the hotel nearly disappeared altogether. I doubt the predicted summer 2014 completion will be achieved, but iI'm sure it'll be well worth the wait. Viv.

Hi Viv: Here is a site with quite a few photos of how some of the rooms used to look in the Grand Hotel. IMHO the reopening of the Grand Hotel will be a huge event
for the citizens of Birmingham especially those who fought tirelessly to save the building and bring it back to life. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/restoration-grand-hotel-4692127
Thanks Jennyann - Very interesting photos and well done Horton Estates. I only went in the Grand Hotel once, it was in the 1950s. A group of us were walking back from ice rink one night and decided to go in the Grand Hotel's American Bar through an entrance in Church St or Barwick St. We ordered whiskies and dry gingers and thought we were very sophistcated, but we had the feeling we were not welcome and soon left.

When I organised an event there in the 1980s it was clear - and very, very sad - that the Hotel was on a downhill slope. The only reason we decided to use the place for our event was because of the size of the Grosvenor Room as it could accommodate a very large number of people. Our conference delegates were blown away by the room. My colleagues and I didn't stay at the hotel (which we would normally have done) simply because it just didn't appeal. Although the Grosvenor Room was jaw-dropping in it's decor, other parts of the hotel had become quite shabby and unappealing. I personally think the Grosvenor Room (and of course the Hotel facade) has been it's saving grace. It's since been used as a backdrop for filming and looks terribly opulent and grand. You get a short glimpse of how a handful of people lived.

Phil - I too wouldn't have been comfortable in the place either. When we snubbed it as a place to stay, it made me realise how times and fortunes can so easily change. Viv.

Any news on progress with the Grand building? Was just looking at this photo and was really struck by how vast it was. Is the new development the same footprint? Think it must have well and truly put the GWR hotel at Snow Hill in the shade. Although I'd guess the clientele of the two hotels were very different. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405711098.074127.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My mother met my father here in the late 1930's - I have a faded but very evocative photograph taken in the Ball Room of a Staff party dating form the late 30's- reminds me of The Shining!!!

If you'd like to post the photo, I'd love to see it Maggie. Viv.

Maggie - Your mother probably would have known my Auntie, Evelyn Hanson, who was Head Receptionist at the Grand for many years. I'm not sure when she first went there to work but I know she was there in the 40's. She lived in at the hotel.

Judy

If you'd like to post the photo, I'd love to see it Maggie. Viv.

Give me day or two - to locate, scan and uploafd, My mother was Nancy May Bissiker (bn 1920) and my father was Richard Healy (bn1916) a little Irishman

That's lovely Maggie, look forward to seeing it - in your own time. If the photo could be improved, I'm sure someone on here will tinker with it for you if you'd like that. Viv.

Maggie - My auntie died some years ago now so unfortunately I can't ask her whether she knew your parents or not.

Back