• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

Interesting that the ceiling in Carolina's photo once had clouds! I expect over the years the clouds became too expensive to re-decorate. Looks like they invested those savings in a whacky carpet in Phil's photo. Viv

The scaffold structure is supported on built-up cantilevered beams which go through the window openings of the second floor...from Dave's photo's. The second floor windows have been removed and I can't see anything to stop the elements from getting inside...or pigeons for that matter. Maybe there is a barrier inside that can not be seen though. Anyway it seems possible that the second floor is in poor shape from the procedure at this time. There does not seem to be any work in progress from the photo's. I wonder if trucks are coming and going with materials. Is the whole thing in a state of limbo? Blow-up of Dave's photo below:

Viv

I suppose over the years styles and taste change, I suppose I must be old fashioned because I prefer the version in Carolina's photo.

Phil

The scaffold structure is supported on built-up cantilevered beams which go through the window openings of the second floor...from Dave's photo's. The second floor windows have been removed and I can't see anything to stop the elements from getting inside...or pigeons for that matter. Maybe there is a barrier inside that can not be seen though. Anyway it seems possible that the second floor is in poor shape from the procedure at this time. There does not seem to be any work in progress from the photo's. I wonder if trucks are coming and going with materials. Is the whole thing in a state of limbo? Blow-up of Dave's photo below:

Rupert found this one and cropped :)

Those cross beams would I think go straight through the building and out the windows on the other side and the beams coming out on Church st would be bolted on this would allow a balance to take the weight of the scaffolding.As you can imagine there would be many tons. Dek

Why is there scaffolding around it? There's probably a blindingly obvious answer to this but afraid I can't work it out. :headhit: Did work start on it? Or is it there for some other reason? Viv.

Viv

The scaffolding is there to protect the public from falling masonry, Horton Estates say the stone facade is crumbling and needs replacing. Obviously the top of the building takes the main force of the weather so this is the part that goes first. If they were that worried about the building they would have used a scaffold plan that would have afforded some protection to the building also.

Phil

Well, if there is no work in progress, I suppose the structure supports the wrap. Maybe it is also for the protection of pedestrians from falling gargoils or something.

The cynic in me has been saying for years that they have hung all those tons of scaffold on the building to help it collapse, then the developers can get in there and get their own way and ruin another piece of our wonderful buildings heritage.
Our City, allegedly, is short of hotels as the planning department have approved a plan to build a new 20 storey hotel on the Snow Hill Queensway site and allowed the developers to mothball the site for three years as they are short of finance.
If , as I believe above, they do eventually start seeing the cracks appear in the 'Grand' does any one know whether rebuilding 'as is' can be forced on them under the grade listing. If not why not?
I'm not sure of the facts, but heard three buildings in a row of suspicious fires on Hagley Road some years ago led to compulsory purchase of the properties by the council, there has recently been another one next door but one! Surely this could be along the same lines and maybe force the hand of the owners/developers to get something done, let's get tough with the people ruining our City!

Good news :) had a walk around the rear of the Grand today, workmen on site, spoke to a few, they said the Grand having a complete refurb :), might take a few years, and to open as

The Grand Hotel :)

Well that's great news Dave. :) it would be so good to see the place restored to what it was meant to be. Viv.

The back certainly couldn't hold a candle to the front of the building! Dave I wonder if your photo #3 could once have been the entrance to the oldest press club in the world; the Birmingham Press Club. Or would they have used the front entrance? Viv

Hi Viv: Found this article on the history of the Birmingham Press Club, which from it's inception faced countless problems, mainly financial by the looks of it.The BPC had several addresses around the town but was at one of the addresses for 26 years. At the end of the article it's location in the basement of the Grand Hotel on Colmore Row is mentioned. Women were not admitted at all until 1972 with HRH Princess Alexandra being the first member. Looks as though it has found yet another home on Church Street!https://www.birmingham-press-club.co.uk/history/

Thanks for the link Jennyann. Love their original name "The Junior Pickwick Club" Their meetings seem to have been more social than business. They recorded at one meeting " Everything so jolly that no minutes were taken" !! :D Viv.

Last edited:
Another thread that I have replaced images, just awaiting a few from others sources, by the way the moderators can feel free to remove these comments that I am leaving after they have had the desired effect.

Phil

Back