• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

The last time I was in The Grand was about 1985 when I entertained a customer who was staying there. He was with British Steel Sheffield, and really only a kind of senior technician, but his expense-account meant he could stay at places like The Grand. Instead of eating there, he wanted a curry! But we did end up in the bar at The Grand for a last couple of drinkies - and you're right, SisterSue, it was expensive!

Big Gee

The buildings to the left of The Grand sit on what was the old Priory fish pond in ancient times. Right there along side of, what would be Colmore Row. It's hard to visualize that area without the Grand across from St Phillips but it can't just stand there abandoned with scaffold around it can it? If it is going to be replaced it would be nice if building keynotes hark back to the Grands days but suspect that a new building will be very much taller. My recalled visual memory is fixed at a time when the old Snow Hill Station was still there. If it were refurbished; what function could it serve that would be financially viable. I was never inside the Grand and suspect that most on here were not either. The reasons for it being there and it's upper class clientele are probably long gone now. All along there would make very desirable high class residential accomodation IMO. Central to pretty much everything and in this guise a comfortable fit might be crafted perhaps.

hi rupert....well i do agree with you about the grand maybe turning itself into residential accomodation...much nicer than most of the buildings that are being built these days for this purpose...

fingers crossed...

lyn

The basement of the Hotel has had a variety of uses over time. As well as the usual wine cellars and stock rooms it's housed a billiards room, a hairdressing salon and, in more recent times been home to the oldest press club in the world, the Birmingham Press Club. Viv.

I don't know that the present building is viable but new construction could very well be residential and multi-purpose at a ground level and could be tastefully done with keynotes that would satisfy all. Sidewalk cafes and the odd shop. Streetside sunshades and a tree or two. How this would all be blended in with modern materials is not known. Design inspiration is required. That frontage is very valuable not only in money but also in the visual mind of the people.

Thinking back over my lifetime I think the hotel has been closed or in the hands of receivers for longer than it has been open. I remember back in 1979 being a guest at a banquet to celebrate its reopenning after being closed for many years. I used to find the hotel very useful for going in to use their toilets before getting a bus home from the other side of the road. Last time I had a meal there was about 1999

The hotel was used for 3 scenes in the film: Toast (the film about the TV chef, Nigel Slater). At the start of the film a young Nigel Slater (played by actor) is dancing with his mum. The photo on this link looks to me like the Grosvenor Room (showing balcony too)

https://www.midlandsbusinessnews.co.uk/2011-02/extra-melissa-is-the-toast-of-hortons.aspx

The other two scenes filmed inside the Grand are: the dream scene after his mum passed away and at the very end when the real Nogel Slater makes a cameo appearance at the Grand Hotel kitchen (i.e. The GH as stand in hotel for the Savoy!) Must have another look at this film. Viv.

Well Viv,

If Horton's are allowing them to film inside, then it can't be in as bad a condition as they are making it out to be or the HSE would have never allowed them through the doors.

Phil

Yes it did cross my mind too Phil. Filming would have been late last year as it was screened in February. Viv.

I think I'm correct in saying that it was filmed at The Grand because The Savoy in London was closed for refurbishment and re-opned only fairly recently.

Big Gee

I have some happy memories of the Grand Hotel, from going to Annual Dinners of a company I used to work for, just having a drink in what I think was The Buttery Bar, and the last time I can remember going there was in 1986 during the Jazz Festival to see George Melly, and John Chilvers & The Foot Stompers, what a great night that was. On and I've just remembered we went to a few dances there probably in the 1970s, just as members of the public i.e. not organised privately.

It was the Buttery Bar, not the Backyard Bar, I was trying to think of! No company I worked for had their do's at The Grand, usually it was The Albany ot the hotel at Birmingham Airport.

I wish I'd seen George Melly at The Grand - absolutely made for each other!

Thanks for posting the pics Dave. Still the same state. It's such a shame. I have looked through a lot of Horton's sites and I think overall the company are trying (probably not too hard it seems) to come up with a plan either for the present building or another one that might be built on that site.https://www.hortons.co.uk/images/hortons_agmbook.pdf

It all comes down to money and making what ever is on that site viable.As the years go by the building is becoming more and more derelict and will cost a huge amount to renovate. I have seen smaller hotel projects where the owners have renovated the old building and built a tower behind the property. This has happened a couple of times in Vancouver and it seems to be ok. The Hotel Georgia was a Vancouver icon and it survived having been renovated and reopened recently. The Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong did something similar to prevent that icon hotel property being demolished. https://www.residencesatgeorgia.com/ https://www.peninsula.com/Hong_Kong/en/Enticements/default.aspx

Yes it did cross my mind too Phil. Filming would have been late last year as it was screened in February. Viv.

Filming was done in June/July last year and broadcast Christmas week. Filming was also done at Highbury Hall, Black Country Museum and a house in Moseley. For further info see
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/07/22/oscar-takes-on-young-nigel-slater-role-in-toast/

They used the old Municipal Bank Head Office in Broad Street for studios and offices. BBC were going to film in my house but pulled out

Hi Carolina,

Thats a brilliant photo, it looks like another one of the withdrawing room off the Grosvenor Ballroom.

Phil

First and only time I was in the Grand was at a works do When I worked for Pepsi-Cola in 1975, we were all booked in to stay the night, and two of the idiots amongst us thought it would
be clever to put all their drinks and a few cigars on to our managers room no., the bill came to nearly £300 ,needless to say next morning when checking out and being presented with his bar bill
he was not amused, he paid it and sacked the two culprits soon after.

Back