• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

The Grand Hotel on a quiet Sunday afternoon, with new shops / restaurants / coffee shops such as 200 Degrees Coffee, Cycle Republic and The The Alchemist.

thanks ell...cant see much through the trees but i did walk past it recently and its looking good..glad we did not loose this building although we very nearly did

lyn

You'd have to stand on Colmore Row on a Sunday morning, without the buses there to get a good view of it!

No problem.

Don't want those trees cut down.

It's been quite a journey for the Grand. Nice to see such perseverance in preserving the place. But must be at an enormous cost. Viv.

Not too sure what exactly this event will be but might be an opportunity to have a gander around the hotel. Viv.

image.png

Looks good - I understand it's being restored to it's former glory?
I would definitely go for a look if I was still in Brum.
If you go Viv, do let us all have a report!

The brother of my late father-in-law was a cellarman at the Grand in 1939, but somehow I don't that will get me a chunky discount to stay there 78 years later! :)

Maurice

The Grand Hotel as a hotel hasn't opened yet. Nearest hotels that are open include the Premier Inn on Waterloo Street. Or even closer, the Hotel du Vin on Church Street. There is a Hampton by Hilton hotel near St Paul's Tram Stop.

https://www.thegrandbirmingham.co.uk/

The rooms are more likely to be used as offices.

This wooden crate belonging to the Hotel was for soda bottles/syphons. It's for sale in America. You do wonder how/why it ended up in the US. Viv.

image.jpeg

how much is it going for viv....if the grand hotel know about it maybe they would want it

lyn

not cheap then viv....i would love it myself...lets hope it comes back home is it on ebay

lyn

I wonder whether it is really 19th century. As I understand (though stand to be corrected), the company was 1882-1990., in london. It would have at first presumably concentrated on london, and hten to the "regions". I think it far more likely to be 1910-1940

Maybe it went to the States with returning GI's as a container for something breakable? I had two large, well constructed former transformer boxes when I was in the RAF. In fact when I left the RAF I brought them home with me. Ideal for keeping all personal items safe and sound.

Back