• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

A lovely website Jennyann. How refreshing to find an architectural business that gives proper recognition to the heritage of the places they are developing. Nicely researched site. Fills me with hope. Viv

My father used to work at the Grand Hotel in the 1950s, he was a carpenter/joiner and worked under I think, a foreman by the surname of Eustace. Both my older brother and I used to go there on a Saturday morning, around the back, down some steps and into the Carpenters shop to help clear up the wood shavings from the weeks work and when needed, mix up fish glue, I can still smell the glue (horrible).

Would this 1870 view have been the site of the later Grand Hotel, Colmore Row? Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365282301.144978.jpg

I took some new pics of the Grand Hotel back in February 2013. Now with the renovation underway.

Mostly from the back of the hotel.

Colmore Row scaffolding

Church Street view

Down Barwick Street

Another Barwick Street view

Hi Viv: The old photo that you posted shows the site the Grand Hotel was built on. This photo appears on the Wikipedia site
for the Grand Hotel. A bit of history about how the hotel came to be built there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Hotel,_Birmingham There is some updated info about the renovations in progress with a finish date of February 2014.
Here's a photo of the rendering of the new Church Street entrance.
220px-Grand_Hotel_New_Proposal.png

Thanks for posting your latest photos of the hotel and signs. Ell. I think some collector of Grand Hotel memorabilia would be interested
in them.

No problem JennyAnn.

I noticed this morning that Horton actually has an office within The Grand Hotel, as they have an entrance on Colmore Row.

I have just discovered this forum- brilliant! So much information and pictures.
We believe that my husband's grandfather worked at the Grand - as a baker - his name was Harry/ Henry Hathaway, probabley around the time of WW1 - although family knowledge is sketchy to say the least. Does anyone know if there is a website that I could search for former empolyees etc?

Christine

I went to a Dance at the Grand Hotel when I was 18yrs!!!!! I don't think I have ever felt so inadiquent,gouche out of place, call it what you will. I suppose being a young girl born in Gosta Green was out of place was an understatement. I have never forgotten the beautiful ballroom it was absolutely magnificent { and I have danced in most ballrooms } We were only there because my husband to be was joining the army the next morning. It is so good to know it is being restored and other people can go there.
Betty
{ I have just gone aaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllll stupid }

Anyone know of any refurb progress at the Grand Hotel? Been a while since we heard anything. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1388242014.188809.jpg

My Father worked as a waiter there in the 20s,so thanks for all the info about it.
I will steal some of the pics for my Family History records.:cupcake:

Hi Mollie. The photo of the Grosvenor Room in post #109 was taken in the 1920s, so your father would most certainly have known it well. Viv.

Anyone know of any refurb progress at the Grand Hotel? Been a while since we heard anything. Viv.

I understand, from people at Colmore Business District[they also have offices within the building], that works within the Grand as well as on the facade are continuing well.

Back