• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

Thanks for the information Jennyann. It is wonderful that this beautiful building is to be renovated and brought back to life again. I was thrilled to see my auntie in the video clip. She was Head Receptionist at the Grand for many years after the war, and if you look at the photo showing Reception, my Auntie Eve is the girl on the left with long dark hair seated. Fantastic!

Just trying to insert the photo here:

Auntie Eve.jpg

Judy

Last edited:
That's brilliant Judy. We all scan photos on here to see if there's anyone we know. I'm so pleased for you!!

Thanks Charlie. I was taken aback to see my auntie in the video. I've now sent the link on to my sister who will enjoy seeing it. I guess we all do hope to find someone from our own family in a picture one day, and it is such a lovely surprise when you do.

Judy

That's great Jayell that you were able to find your Auntie on the Grand Hotel video. She must have seen so much in her job as a Receptionist at the Grand. Hopefully, there will be more photos, etc. come to light when the renovations are completed and the history is delved into. It really would have been "the end" if this building couldn't be saved.

Thanks Charlie. I was taken aback to see my auntie in the video. I've now sent the link on to my sister who will enjoy seeing it. I guess we all do hope to find someone from our own family in a picture one day, and it is such a lovely surprise when you do.

Judy

oh thats great for you and the family judy...so pleased for you and thanks jenny for posting the link..
:encouragement:
lyn

Great result both for the future of the Grand and for Judy. How lovely to see one of your relations actually at work! The slideshow pics are brilliant. The B&W photo of the ballroom is as I remember it. It had a lot (and I mean a lot) of gilding everywhere, even in the 1980s. The ballroom was so big, when we erected our mobile stage for our guest speakers and panelists, it looked tiny in the room, swamped by the scale of the surroundings. In the 80s it had a lot of the standard hotel blue Axminster carpet theme going on and the place seemed a bit jaded by then, especially in the non-public areas. However I seem to remember the food was pretty good and the majority of our delegates thought so too. (Well that's what many of them tend to be interested in! Oops didn't mean to say that) But we often found on conference feedback forms the issue of food provided at events takes on a whole life of its own. Never mind the content of the conference! Viv.

The following quote is from yesterday's Birmingham Mail:
"The long awaited restoration of Birmingham City Centre’s historic Grand Hotel has been given enthusiastic support by council planners.
Once completed the hotel will be reopened and shops fronting Colmore Row given a new vintage look.
The hotel will also be removed from the list of at risk historic building."

wonderful news lesley....for once the council has got it right and given us something to cheer about..:encouragement:

lyn

Great news Lesley. Once it's up and running, I would love to spend a couple of nights there if it I can afford it, as The Grand holds many memories for me.

Judy

Last edited:
Maybe the Grand will see functions on this scale once again. This is the 1920s and Wesleyan & General staff enjoy a meal. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336421505.122185.jpg

I have many memories of the Grand Hotel, I was working there from about 1978 to 1981 when I moved to work at the Europa Lodge in West Brom (J1 of M5)
The Backyard Bar did exist, as did the Buttery Bar (which became the Penny Black I think) There was a Carvery at the front of the hotel, run brilliantly by Jeffrey Meakin.
The Grosvenor Suite was refurbished to a lovely standard during my time there and renovations to update one of the restaurants, revealed some gorgeous Victorian Tiles which were restored I think by the B'ham Museum and Art Gallery and replaced in the restaurant behind the carvery bar. There were some fabulous events held there during my time, ranging from visits by famous actresses at the Post Literary luncheons, to Star Trek cast members at the many Sci fi events. I remember being in the lift with Arthur Ashe the tennis player, members of pop bands, russian weightlifters, dog show visitors with pooches - life was never dull riding up to the sales offices on the upper floors. It was a huge old building, lots of downstairs corridors that were creepy and I think the weirdest time I spent there was with one of my friends, who as an asst manager, she had to stay on the premises when it was closed over Christmas and her shift was christmas eve, so I said I'd stay too. Talk about scary, I couldn't sleep the place was so creaky when it was empty! Have many fond memories of the people who worked there, some I still keep in touch with.

What great recollections Lavender thank you for sharing them with us.

There were some fabulous events held there during my time, ranging from visits by famous actresses at the Post Literary luncheons, to Star Trek cast members at the many Sci fi events.

I went through a lot of "Sci fi" events in the 80s (probably after your time) most were at other hotels but I do know some of the people who organized these events in your time. I have been to some of the Star Trek events (different organizers) and their great failing was that anything on the kind of scale you get into hotels in the city centre couldn't afford to bring in media people from the USA and the Star Trek cast were always expensive. They would have been lucky to get anyone from the show at an event at the Grand even then.

I used to organise some of those events later, when I moved to another hotel group. We had Hitchhikers Guide and others. James Doohan and Walter Keonig (scotty and chechov) both attended Sci fi events in the Midlands in the late 70s, before it all got too expensive I think. Also met Jeremy Bulloch at a convention in Leeds around 1984 whilst in that job. It was always a riot when they were in hotels, but the General Managers didn't always appreciate the characters there - even if they did like the revenue ;)

Phil,

Top marks to the Birmingham Victorian Society and English Heritage. Too many great old Brum buildings got zapped in the 1960's, and I'd hate to see a repeat of what was wanton, official vandalism.

Big Gee

Well said.

Just watched the film 'Toast' again and managed to get some screen shots. The first is the stunning ballroom .....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352568058.400792.jpg Looks great

The second is, I think, the rear of the hotel....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352568105.586438.jpgThe Grand was supposedly 'standing in' for the Savoy which was, at the time of filming, being refurbished. If the rear shots actually are of the Grand, here is a close up of the brown and green tiling in the alleyway (And a close up of Nigel Slater who had a cameo part in the film). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352568270.232685.jpg

Thanks for those Viv, that beautiful ballroom..I could weep.
AND I love Nigel Slater....I want to adopt him (as long as brings his kitchen with him)!

Back