• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gramophone Records

The first record that I ever bought was "Start Movin' " by Sal Mineo and another was 'Bring a little water sylvie / Dead or alive". I still play them regularly, but as MP3's. I never tire of the guitar intro to "Dead or Alive", even after all this time.
My dad used to teach guitar to the would-be skiffle stars, once they had learned three chords, they were gone. I used to think that if I heard 'Freight Train" one more time, I would scream.
Incidentally, "Barnacle Bill" was Popeye's theme tune as well.

Oisin said:
We had 2 wind up gramaphones for some reason.
Was your dad experimenting with stereo way before its time? ;)
;D ;D

Frantic said:
The first record that I ever bought was "Start Movin' " by Sal Mineo
didn't know he sang...I remember him in that great film, 'Rebel Without A Cause,' (which I always secretly thought should be, 'Rebel With A Cause').

'Start Movin'...12/7/57...reached # 16 in British charts and was in for 11 weeks. Philips PB 707. Only hit record in the UK.

Bring a little water Sylvie ....7/9/56...reached #7 and was in charts for 12 weeks. Re-entered the charts for 1 week at #30 on 11/1/57

which means that I must have bought Lonnie before Sal.

Frantic said:
'Start Movin'...12/7/57...reached # 16 in British charts and was in for 11 weeks. Philips PB 707. Only hit record in the UK.

Bring a little water Sylvie ....7/9/56...reached #7 and was in charts for 12 weeks. Re-entered the charts for 1 week at #30 on 11/1/57

which means that I must have bought Lonnie before Sal.
Mmm... I wonder who's got the Guinness Book of Hit Singles then. :coolsmiley:

still have quite a selection of old records up
in the loft dating from the 30s 40s.50.60,
mostly all 78s can't play them now,also have
some 6p "Eclipse" records from "woolys" plus
Joe loss,everly bros,Vipers skiffle,lonny donegon's
Cumberland gap, Rock Island line etc

What you need Dennis is a 30's 'picnic' record player. I've got a small one that is in a little case. I can play all the old 78's on it. I have to shut myself away in the garage if there's anyone in the house because you can't regulate the sound, and it's LOUD. I've got Arty Shaw and Benny Goodman 78's that you can hear 10 miles away. :)

evenin all, i had a windup record player in the late fities early sixties and one of my favourite songs was thats when your heartakes begin by elvis, unfortunately, it kept stiking right in the best bit just as elvis was talking.
shardeen

My first LP was Martin Denny "The Quiet Village" We bought it for the great stereo sound and I still have it to this day.

We got it from Rackhams along with our stereogram!!

dennis.i remember that record ok,my brother was told off a few times by my mom,for singing bol***Y bill the sailor.when we were kids
pete

i still have all our 78,s
one of my first i remember was jimmy boyd
i saw mommy kissing Santa clause,there,s and there,s a little train a chug gin in my heart, i have a couple of hundred i think i sold the gramophone,a few years
ago, it was a piece of furniture.
don,t know what i,ll do with the records,my kids don,t want them
i even have one Aston villa players made way back when,
happy days regards dereklcg

Anyone got anymore info on Norman Haines - ex The Locomotive imo The Best Birmingham psychadelic rock band to come out of Birmingham?
That's the one, John!

Jackie, yeah, spent hours in there getting them to play records that I had no intention of buying. :wink: My mate, Norman Haines (remember him - HNR?) worked there on a Saturday. He went on to play with various bands. The last I heard he was a BT engineer, but there you go. :? That shop was where I first heard The Beatles version of Twist and Shout - been a fan of 'em ever since. :lol:

Can you remember the first record you heard?
You young uns would not have heard of this I'm sure???
My first recolection was a song called Barnacle Bill The Sailor
which went something like this......
"Whose that knocking at my door"? cried the fair young maiden
"It's only me from over the sea" said Barnacle Bill the sailor.
"Are you young an handsome sir?" cried the fair young maiden,
"No, I'm old and rough & Dirty,& Tough"... said Barnacle Bill the sailor, ....

That's all I can remember,but then it was 70years ago,but I think that song was the reason I always wanted to join the Navy

I was a new Kid on the block in 2005 I had only joined a month before so I've done a search for you Dennis and here is my find:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3riCkf-_s&feature=related

Last edited:
First record I ever remember hearing was Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade, probably because my Mum kept playing it over and over again when I was about 5!

I can remember it and can sing it but can't spell it. My nan used to do the hoola hoola dance to it. Please correct me. My Little grass shack in the Kelaquadi. I don't know why but it always made her sick. Jean.

'. Literally.
'

I think it was "Sailor" about 1956/7 on the juke box in the cafe top of genners lane, by the old tram terminus in bartly green or could have been "White sports coat pink carnation" or even Jonny Ray.
paul

Back