• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Graham Webb

I was in Holland recently and it seems as though everyone cycles, my son and his wife both cycle to work and when you pass a school there is a very big area and it is full of bikes. at the railway stations you done see a car park you see an inside and an outside bike park and they are well used. over there they are well geared up for the bike they have their own traffic lights in the towns and out of town. i have cycled over there and it is easy no hills.

Hi Graham,
Looking at your winning bike of 1966, would the new frame design make bikes any quicker than the older frames.

Hi Graham,
Looking at your winning bike of 1966, would the new frame design make bikes any quicker than the older frames.

Fred, it's not so much the frame design but the material used today is stronger (stiffer) lighter therefore the effort is transmitted better to the wheels.

Here's a photo of our local train station cycle parking, Ghent, in Belgium. Hope you don't miss your train!

414971997_6bb08281a1_z.jpg

Graham,
My Father Albert George Harper was a founding member of Kynoch Cycling Club it was here that he met Mom Catherine Ivy.
The photo that has been mentioned must be of Mom. Dad was a timekeeper, I still have his stop watches that he used.
If you need any other info' then I will try to remember some details.
Yours,
Alan Harper.

Thanks for the info Alan; very interesting. If I am ever in need of more on the Kynoch CC I know now where to look.

Do, or did, you ride a cycle or race?

Graham.

A new book out on the 30th May 2013, ‘On the Road Bike’ by SKY and ITV sports presenter, Ned Boulting, devotes his third chapter, ‘Nobody would go with me’, to the story of my difficult early years in Sparkbrook, Birmingham. I'm also mentioned in his chapters on Mick Bennett and Tommy Godwin.

Your local library might have a copy on order, Graham.

51ZWE5u9IdL._SY300_.jpg

Back