• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Graham Street Lozells

Claire
There were two Graham streets (in 1912):
Graham street, Lozells, 207 Burbury street to Church street
Graham street, Newhall st. to Legge la.
Neither seem to be Balsall Heath.any other distinguishing marks ?
Mike

hi claire....graham st..lozells is still there..was down there taking pics last year....

lyn:)

All i have is 1920 something Parade, Graham Street, can't read writing on discharge papers and then 1925 1 Moreton Place Graham Street, don't know if that helps anymore i assumed it was Balsall Heath but up until 1920 for 30 years he and his parents were at Freeth Street if that is nearby?? thanks :)

Sorry claire, i can't find any moreton place on or near to either of the Graham streets. there is one on sherlock St, and, back in the 1860s, there was one on Balsall heath road, but not near Graham St. Freeth st is slihjtly nearer the jewellery quarter one (legge lane ), but neither are very close. If moreton place was a row off the main street then the jewellery quarter one is most likely, as there isn't much room for a terrace of the lozells one by the look of it, but if its just the name of a row of houses in the street (which is likely) then it could be either. couldn't find any parade marked in either.

mike

Thanks Mike, I couldnt find anything either, thats why i was hoping a map may clarify it, i am not sure which one it would be now, I know they went from Freeth Street to Graham Street, then to Ellen Street, so it could have been either one but the 1925 electoral role says Moreton Place Graham Street, the discharge papers definately say something parade, it's in pencil and so faded :( hopefully someone on here lived on either of these streets and will be able to answer it.

Claire, I lived in Moreton Street, which was just a stones throw from Graham St. So perhaps there is some mix up with Moreton Place (never heard of it) and Moreton Street, which is just off Carver St, bottom of Warstone Lane.

Maggs

Claire
do you think he would be registered to vote in 1920 or 25 ? If so i can look on the elctroal roll if you give me his name
mike

Maggs i am wondering now... he was born October 1897 Mike so he would have been 21 in 1918, just after the electoral role so wouldn't be on missing voters, but 1925 it said Moreton Place Graham Street, maybe they have it mixed up like Maggs said.. his name was Isaac Sargent incase i have got something mixed up.. thanks :)

That sorts it to the Jewellery quarter. See attached roll. Welcome place (higher up was off THAT graham st. will try and work out where morton place was. He was at ellen st in 1930 (see attached).

Thanks Mike, knew someone would solve the riddle in the end, his discharge paper for 1920 says 1 back of 33 Graham Street so maybe those houses were called Morton Place? as 1920 says house number 33 just above Morton Place listings.

Sorted now. Had it on a map,but didn't know where to look. i assumed that graham st started at the junction with newhall hill and legge lane, but actually, looking carefully at the directories, there are some houses on the left of the junction on the south side in Graham st, so it must start at the bend to the left of the junction, and some of what I thought was Legge lane was Graham St. When you realise that, morton place is on this 1889 map attached. It is on the south side of the street to the left of the junction.
mike

1888_jnc__leggelane__graham_st.jpg

Just in case its not clear where morton place is attached is smaller scale map with it marked in red.
Mike

Morton_placec_1903-13.jpg

Thanks Mike, I couldnt find anything either, electoral role says Moreton Place Graham Street, the discharge papers definately say something parade, it's in pencil and so faded :( hopefully someone on here lived on either of these streets and will be able to answer it.

Hi Claire,

I worked in Newhall Street for some years, and the area at the junction
of Newhall Hill and Summer Row was know as the Parade.

Kind regards

Dave

Thanks again Mike that's brilliant. Dave thanks, have checked with mom and there's some payment papers in there that are stamped with Parade Birmingham on the date stamp.

My dad Frank Wilson was born at 7 bk 64 Graham Street in 1920, i often wonder if this was close to the Pen Factory, would anyone know?

hi mallosa...are you talking about c brandaurs the pen nib factory that was in new john st west...if so i would say it was no more than a ten min walk to it from graham st...here is a map of the area...if you follow the crease in the page about half way down on the left is graham st and new john st west is just a bit further down..the map will enlarge if you click on it 3 times..the building is still standing by the way..hope this is of help

lyn

Thanks for that Astoness, I had no idea what it was called but I do intend to visit the area very soon, also hoping to take my 9 year old grandaughter to visit the Pen Room.
I don't suppose anyone would have a photo of Graham Street?

i cant rememer now if graham st is still there..i know the school is thats on the corner..if i come accross any pics will post them for you..

lyn

I happened to pass that way, I think it was last year Lyn. Unless I'm dreamin' we passed Graham Street cos I mentioned it to by brother at the time - I'll ask him!

Thanks again

Graham Street is still there, just past the Pen Room on the left hand side of the road - opposite Legge Lane.

oh crikey i think i am getting mixed up her..mallosa which graham st are you talking about...there must be two of them then..:cry:.

It might be me getting mixed up, where is the other Graham Street? I might have egg on my chin.

good job shortie posted or else i would have been posting pics of the wrong graham st...:D:D

lyn

Just looked in my old Wakelin's Street Guide, there are two Graham Streets, (1) 217 Newhall Street to Legge Lane and (2) off 201 Burbury Street, Lozells.

Back