• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Graham Laught - Speedwing

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Graham heard a couple of days ago that 'Speedwing' - Graham Laught - died recently after battling severe illness for some time. I don't know how many people will remember him but he was a very clever, kind and helpful man. His screen name apparently came from the aeroplane he built himself in the garden of his home. He was in contact with (husband) Graham for some time and came to visit us until he became too ill. They spent a long time discussing bridges and other technical details. It seems wrong not to mention his passing as he made many contributions to the forum. His funeral is tomorrow.

Hi Lady P, many thanks for letting me know. I had been in contact with his too, as you say, he was very interested in the railway bridges that John McClean and others built.

John McClean being in my opinion one of the greatest unsung nineteenth century engineers of the day. Sad to hear of his passing, an outwright nice man who will be missed.

Back