• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doctors

I vividly recall Dr Aberdeen. I lived in Aston as a child and he was our GP. I always thought of him as a kindly old chap. I do remember being shown around his garden. He used to own Shelties and often used to give my sister and i 3d before we left the surgery.

I think there are some crossed wires on this thread. Dr. Aberdeen's surgery was a very large brick built house on the corner of Sutton Street and Thomas Street (not Upper Sutton or Thomas Streets).

Dr. Gilbert Smith took over from Dr. Duncan (don't think that right when I started to type I knew the right name) anyway he emigrated to Australia,
Dr.D having taken over from Dr. Fitzgerald. This surgery was on the opposite side of Sutton Street to Dr. Aberdeen either next door or very near the Welfare.

Dr. Aberdeen

After my senior moment I have remembered that Dr.Duncan was in fact Dr. Gibson. After Dr. Gilbert Smith who was a very good doctor, came Dr.
Murtaza.

;)
NAOCHIM GOUREVICH NEVER SPOKE OF ISRAEL TO STUDENTS OR HIS PATIENTS BECAUSE THERE WAS NO REASON TO.
THE PRESENT NATION STATE OF ISRAEL WAS A CONCOCTION WHICH STARTED WITH THE BALFOUR ACT DURING WWI AS SPAWNED SO. IT WAS AN ADUMBRATION BY THE ZIONIST MOVEMENT WHICH STARTED IN THE US-GB BY OPPORTUNIST CRANKS IN THE LATTER 1800s.
: A PSYCHONEUROTIC EXRCISE IN USURY.

NICK G. AS A BRILLIANT CHIRURGEON, I REPEAT, HAD NO NECESSITY TO SPEAK OF ISRAEL, INCORPORATED 1948. THERE BEING NO REASON TO. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT HE SPOKE OF PRIVATELY AS OBSERVANCE AS I WAS A WEE KINDER AND WOULD IN ANY CASE HAVE REMAINED SILENT IN SUCH COMPANY.

HIS DAUGHTER'S EXCURSION MIGHT WELL HAVE OBTAINED AN EXPEDITION. IT IS NOT MY NATURE TO PRY. KNOWING HIS FAMILY I'VE EVERY CONFIDENCE SHE IS SETTLED SAFE COMFORTABLE ANYWHERE. IF I HAD/HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT I'LL SWEEP THE CANAL TOW PATH PRIOR TO SUN RISE. WE ONE CAN PROCEED WITHOUT LET OR HINDRANCE WITH ALL DUE HASTE AND EXPEDIENCY.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION IN THIS MATTER.

:angel:

Anyone remember the surgery in Gerrard Street on the corner of Guildford Street? Dr D Humphries and Dr Mott. I used to dread going for any of the routine innoculations.'The Needle' as we kids called it. Dr Humphries lived alone ( apart from his housekeeper ) in a nice detached house in Brecon Road when that part of Handsworth was still respectable and 'upmarket' A very far cry from its current state

I went to Dr Majmudar in Wheeler Street, just past St Matthias's School. He had a big house in Handsworth Wood and a surgery there for the better claas of patient.

I am now in my fab 50's.

When i was in my 20's i was registered under a surgery in Gooch Street. My appointment was for a Dr Wand who turned out to be a VERY elderly doctor.

I never thought anything more of it until i told my gran [who grew up in the area and born 1890] that i had been seen by doctor Wand. " Oh young Dr Wand she replied" ??

So if that was mid 70's and gran was about 86 how old was Dr Wand? [He looked older than gran].

Anyone remember him?

A bit off topic but I've just posted a message lamenting the absence of any mention of Balsall Heath and then read yours. I used to live in Longmore Street which was close by. Don't remember a Dr. Wand but I worked for Dr. Deary who was Egyptian and had a surgery in Longmore Street and one in Mary Street.

:angel: Jill I have just posted an answer to your other post on the Balsall Heath Topic. We lived in Dymoke St.

Jacqueline, I also went to Dr Wand as a child from around 2-9 years of age when our end of Dymoke St was demolished. He was really smashing and treated me when I got bitten by a dog, as well as all those other childhood illnesses we seemed to get. His surgery at that time was situated in a whitewashed building on the corner of Conybere St and William Henry St. When you went in the door there was a large room with a little office where all the records were kept and the receptionist sat at a little hatch. There were rows and rows of brown chairs with little coloured cards on the back : Blue, Green, Red and yellow and you sat in the row that had your Dr's colour on it. When they were ready for the next paitent a coloured bulb would light up at the front of the room with the colour of your Dr and the Buzzer would go. Everyone sat in the order in which they had entered the reception, there was never any queue jumping unless it was an emergency, like when I'd had the dog bite.

I have some old pic's of the area and maps if you need them.

Chris :angel:

That makes sense as my gran ran a drapers [clothes shop] on Upper Highgate Street.

It just made me laugh when gran said "young Dr Wand". He looked soooo old.

ALF I STAKE MY LIFE ON IT , AND I THINK IT WAS EITHER DR MASSEY , OR A DR SMITH , AND IS SURGERY WAS AT THE THE TOP END OF WHITE HEAD ROAD AND POTTER,S HILL AND VICTORIA ROAD RAN ACROSS THE TOP , WE LIVED AT 47 VICTORIA RD , AND HIS SURGERY WAS PAINTED PINK WITH WOODEN SHUTTERS ON EACH SIDE OF THE WINDOWS IT LOOKED VERY POSH , OUR AUNTIE EDE WHO LIVED DOWN IN PARK RD DOWN BY THE VINE PUB ON THE LICHFIELD RD , USED TO GO THERE , THIS WAS EARLY SIXTY,S AND HE STARTED TO CHARGE A SMALL FEE TO VISTED HIM FOR A CONSULTATION, AT HIS SURGERY, I THINK IT WAS 5OP OR I.POUND EVERY VISIT PEOPLE COMPLAINED AND WENT ELSWHERE, HE MOVED ON . ASTONIAN.

It was Dr Massey with his rowing trophies from Oxford ,your life is not at stake, nice Doctor but only gave you the Brown stuff to cure all ills :2funny:

If you click on this site for the Millhouse pub in Marsh Hill on the corner of Ivyfield Road, you can see part of Dr. Solomon's house. I remember decades ago there were all kinds of stories about him. https://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/images/erdington/chMillHouse.JPG

Dr Massey came to live around the corner from us for a while. He was certainly a well loved Doctor. He had a surgery on Stockland Green if I remember. He wasn't our family doctor though.

Our doctor was Dr Targett in Farm St, what a grand old chap he was. When his son qualified, he joined the practice and his dad retired.

Hey Barrie, Doctor Target was our family doctor for years. My mom used to live in Little King St so she grew up with Dr Target as her family doctor. Do you remember his waiting room? The aspidestras and the big clock on the wall going 'tick, tick, tick' and nobody dared talk. And when you eventually got into his surgery he would be smoking a cigarette as usual and his moustache was nicotine stained, and he had one of those really old upright telephones as well. The difference between then and now is that he would come from Hockley to Aston for a house visit. How many doctors do house visits these days?

Frantic. We lived down the alley at the side of The Bridge Tavern in Hunters Rd, I too grew up knowing Dr Targett. He was a very kind man, if a little eccentric. He had a practice in Handsworth where the "posh" people lived, the money he got from them subsidised the practice in Hockley. When we were poorly (which was quite often living as we did over Hockley Brook) he would come out to see us, and when he left, he would look in Mom's purse to see how much she had got, and he took what he thought was fair! Yes indeed, a very kind man.

Jacqueline said:
I am now in my fab 50's.

When i was in my 20's i was registered under a surgery in Gooch Street. My appointment was for a Dr Wand who turned out to be a VERY elderly doctor.
ah!! so that's why our old surgery (in Gooch St.) is called The Wand Medical Centre.'
We left there about 3 years ago as it was always too busy.

Another doctor there in the late 70's was a Dr Jones. He was astonishing. His language was foul. Yet he was a brilliant doctor. I wonder if he was ever struck off for his swearing.

Anyone remember Dr Mcpartlin at Nechells in the early 70s,he was Irish and a lovely doc. :angel:

Doctor Gibson

Does anyone remember Doctor Gibson, his practice was in Upper Sutton Street, I lived with my family in Alum Rock, but we travelled to Aston to see him as he was such a lovely Doctor.

Back