• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GPs in Gerrard Street

silhouette53

master brummie
Anyone remember the surgery in Gerrard Street on the corner of Guildford Street? Dr D Humphries and Dr Mott. I used to dread going for any of the routine innoculations.'The Needle' as we kids called it. Dr Humphries lived alone ( apart from his housekeeper ) in a nice detached house in Brecon Road when that part of Handsworth was still respectable and 'upmarket' A very far cry from its current state

Michael_Ingram

master brummie
I went to Dr Majmudar in Wheeler Street, just past St Matthias's School. He had a big house in Handsworth Wood and a surgery there for the better claas of patient.

barrie

master brummie
Our doctor was Dr Targett in Farm St, what a grand old chap he was. When his son qualified, he joined the practice and his dad retired.

F

Frantic

Hey Barrie, Doctor Target was our family doctor for years. My mom used to live in Little King St so she grew up with Dr Target as her family doctor. Do you remember his waiting room? The aspidestras and the big clock on the wall going 'tick, tick, tick' and nobody dared talk. And when you eventually got into his surgery he would be smoking a cigarette as usual and his moustache was nicotine stained, and he had one of those really old upright telephones as well. The difference between then and now is that he would come from Hockley to Aston for a house visit. How many doctors do house visits these days?

barrie

master brummie
Frantic. We lived down the alley at the side of The Bridge Tavern in Hunters Rd, I too grew up knowing Dr Targett. He was a very kind man, if a little eccentric. He had a practice in Handsworth where the "posh" people lived, the money he got from them subsidised the practice in Hockley. When we were poorly (which was quite often living as we did over Hockley Brook) he would come out to see us, and when he left, he would look in Mom's purse to see how much she had got, and he took what he thought was fair! Yes indeed, a very kind man.

DaveG

master brummie
I do indeed remember Dr D Humpheries on Gerrard St. In fact, that is who my mom named me after. He looked after our family for countless years covering the whole range of kids illnesses with, I recall, the occassional house call which is very much a thing of the past.

Our old Dr was Dr Hamilton in the 50s. It was on Summer Lane . There used to be a family who lived above the Surgery.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just going back to dr targets corner of farm st/villa st i am still on the look out for a photo of that corner...ive got a pic of the other 3 corners but as yet not that one...i remember the surgery well..

lyn

bramwell

master brummie
On the diagonal corner to Dr Targets, there was a Distpensary and Dr Riechenfeld came there during the war. It was said that he escaped from Austria.with his family. I think we paid 4 Pence a month . he was an excellent Dr. My dad had Dr Hamilton. and he was very good..

Jean.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
On the diagonal corner to Dr Targets, there was a Distpensary and Dr Riechenfeld came there during the war. It was said that he escaped from Austria.with his family. I think we paid 4 Pence a month . he was an excellent Dr. My dad had Dr Hamilton. and he was very good..

Jean.

hi jean as i said i do remember dr targetts on the corner..my gt nan lived just a couple of doors up from it at 32 villa st..im sure it had a maroon coloured big glass window like you could not see in and the word surgery on it in big letters...

lyn

Linda bella

proper brummie kid
Our old Dr was Dr Hamilton in the 50s. It was on Summer Lane . There used to be a family who lived above the Surgery.
Thanks yes that makes sense,my mom and nan lived that way.their name was Hill.When they moved he still was,remember the sugery.not the family above.

Linda bella

proper brummie kid
Hi 170, in between the girls school and the annex.Our backed onto houses in CLifford street . Ours were demolished but the other side was not.another place we hung out was the Methodist church.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Hi 170, in between the girls school and the annex.Our backed onto houses in CLifford street . Ours were demolished but the other side was not.another place we hung out was the Methodist church.

hi linda yes i know where you mean there are still a few houses still standing on the other side and of course the church is still there on the corner...if you have any photos of around there would love to see them..

lyn