• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GPO

rowan

Born a Brummie
Hi Postie,

I wonder if you have a photograph of Telephone House in Newhall Street please.

I worked there straight from school in 1955, and I enjoyed ever minute there.

I made many "Telephone" friends all over the country.

Ah............memories :)

Found this one. O0 1937 trunk test desks

Attachments

• City Newhall St Telephone House.jpg
    City Newhall St Telephone House.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 3
  • Bernd-work001[1].jpg
    Bernd-work001[1].jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Postie, I remember it well.

I see that the stools are still in favour today, used as computor chairs. :)

Rowan: Where you still at the exchange in Newhall Street when it had a gas explosion in the basement.  Guess it was about 1960.
I recall the telephonists still manned the exchange, after the explosion, even though the rest of the building was evacuated due to the possiblity of a second one occurring, due to the continued gas leak.  Brave ladies.
One fatality.  I believe this was the caretaker who had lit his stove to brew his tea.
Will.   

Hi Will,

No I wasn't there then, I had left to get married and was a Mother of one in 1960.

hi i worked at telephone house from 1969 to 1975 when i left to have my daughter, it was very strict but us girls always managed a laugh! i remember being evacuated when we had bomb scares and going under the post office tower, what a sight that must have been all of us crossing over the road.

Back