• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

GPO Fordrough Lane Birmingham

sherry1

knowlegable brummie
lOOKING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS OF TRAINING SCHOOL INSIDE AND OUT AND ANY STORIES. MY DAD WORKED AT FORDROUGH LANE AND GARETTTS GREEN FOR 36 YEARS. HE RETIRED IN 1987.

I know this isnt the right thread, but I too would be interested in any pictures of Fordrough Lane, as I was born at No. 110 in 1949. Barry.

Heres some. 2 pictures of staff from 1945
post office building Fordrough Lane

Last edited:
Fantastic, thankyou so much.

My mother and Godmother also worked here but this would have been around 1956 onwards.

any further history gladly received.

If the building looks a bit like a prison, thats because it was originally a reformatory ! Perhaps you relations knew Bernard Charles.

I worked at the Post Office Factory , Garrison Lane in 1943. i attended the in house school at Fordrough Lane, it was very large factory and every thing used by the post office was either made or repaired there, the Norton House Approved School for boys was next door and was not on the factory site.

I worked at the Post Office supplies offices in Fordrough lane from1969 until they moved to Adderley Rd Saltley.My boss told me that the offices were once an approved school.

These photos are of my Dad at the Garrets Green GPO garage in the early 1950's My Dad Don Commander is the blonde in the middle of of the row kneeling and in the porch

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 15
Back