• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gower Street

dottieau

master brummie
Hi would anybody have a picture of Gower Street Aston Manor and could you tell where it was please the address I have is of a back to back house but I would imagine it has been demolished by now. The family were living there in 1915. Thank you.

Hi dottieau,

The only record of a Gower Street I can find around 1915 is in Lozells and it runs from William St to Berners St.

There is a Gowan St in Saltley, and a Gower Rd in Quinton. I will look to see if I have a photo, and if I have one I will post it.

Phil

I have an old map which lists Gower Street in a square bounded by Soho Road, Villa Road, Burbery Street and Nursery Road, but I'm blowed if I can find it!

Its now called Gower Walk and The Holte School has replaced Gower St school

Aah, now I can compare to my old map. and it's one square across! A 1909 typo! (Think I'd get my money back if I complain?).
Here you are, as mike-g rightly says, it's by Holte School but ran through to Berners Street originally.

Thank you all for kindly answering my request your answers are very helpful. Its good to see the area they lived in. Thanks again.

Gower_Street_Newtown_-_12-7-1967.jpg hi dottie here are some pics of gower st...

just to update a previous post..holte school that was built on where gower st stood has now been demolished and another rebuild is is progress..i believe its to be an old peoples village..

lyn

Gower_Street_Newtown_-_12-7-1967.jpg

Last edited:
Gower_Street_No_24-52_from_Guildford_Street_Newtown_-_11-3-1968.jpg last one..numbers 24 to 52..all the above photos are dated 1968

lyn

Gower_Street_No_24-52_from_Guildford_Street_Newtown_-_11-3-1968.jpg

Last edited:
wonder if admin could please move this thread to the neighbours and streets section please...

thank you....

What amazing pictures Lyn thank you for posting them its great to get an idea of the place that family lived in when they were young.

hi dottie im so pleased that you picked up on this thread as i noticed that your request was first made in 2008...glad they are of some use to you...

lyn..x

Hi Lyn I have traveled along way since then Gower Street was the first address I had when I started to trace my Birth family. So you will see how any information was giving me parts to a picture. So thanks again for your great pictures.

hi dottie yes you have travelled a long way since your family was at gower st...so pleased i could help in some way to show you the street where they lived..those pics were taken in the 60s but i would say that not much had changed since 1915..if i come accross anymore i will of course post them for you..

lyn.x

when time permits could this thread be moved to the neighbours and streets section please..

thank you

lyn

RAY B
I lived in gower street at number 67. We called Aston Manor the Aston Manor vinegar brewery. It was at the far end of Gower Street by the school,near Furnace Lane.
Lets take a journy along gower street: from the top Bernner street, the outdoor across by Grimsbies coach company on the other side of bernner street were 4 or 5 terrace houses used as a light enginering works.
Across on the corner of gower st. was a shop/cafe,just down on the left was 67 where the Beckett`s lived, over the road lived the Meeks.
Going down you come to willson st. on the left across the road was Johnson`s sweet shop and the other corner was a door spaning willson st and gower st. we called the old lady who lived there "old mother Rielly" Going down willson st towards the lozells road was the Hall family local bookies,you had to go up the back entry to put your bet on or collect your winnings, my best mate Phillip Harris lived down here. Contiue along and on the corner was "the bell inn" The "lozells inn" was over the road on the lozells rd
Back to gower street we are now heading for wheeler street straight over but mind the trafic this is the main bus rout into Birmingham town.
Lets carry on till we reach gower st.second remodern school. What a place straight in front the older boys classrooms, but lets go left to the first years classes walk down to the end and here we are. Why railings around the top? they were there to give the first years some where safe to have their play time (if not you will end up with your head down the toilet) away from the bullies. There was one more building not known about much, this was the old science block inbtween the police station and church, we met new teacher Mr Long there, boy did we give him a rought time. But back again to gower street turn left over the road the cafe and furnace lane, at the end of the road out to the Orient picture house, we were they every Saturday morning for the matione films shows, coming out slaping your side pretending to ride your horse.

RAY B
I lived in gower street at number 67. We called Aston Manor the Aston Manor vinegar brewery. It was at the far end of Gower Street by the school,near Furnace Lane.
Lets take a journy along gower street: from the top Bernner street, the outdoor across by Grimsbies coach company on the other side of bernner street were 4 or 5 terrace houses used as a light enginering works.
Across on the corner of gower st. was a shop/cafe,just down on the left was 67 where the Beckett`s lived, over the road lived the Meeks.
Going down you come to willson st. on the left across the road was Johnson`s sweet shop and the other corner was a door spaning willson st and gower st. we called the old lady who lived there "old mother Rielly" Going down willson st towards the lozells road was the Hall family local bookies,you had to go up the back entry to put your bet on or collect your winnings, my best mate Phillip Harris lived down here. Contiue along and on the corner was "the bell inn" The "lozells inn" was over the road on the lozells rd
Back to gower street we are now heading for wheeler street straight over but mind the trafic this is the main bus rout into Birmingham town.
Lets carry on till we reach gower st.second remodern school. What a place straight in front the older boys classrooms, but lets go left to the first years classes walk down to the end and here we are. Why railings around the top? they were there to give the first years some where safe to have their play time (if not you will end up with your head down the toilet) away from the bullies. There was one more building not known about much, this was the old science block inbtween the police station and church, we met new teacher Mr Long there, boy did we give him a rought time. But back again to gower street turn left over the road the cafe and furnace lane, at the end of the road out to the Orient picture house, we were they every Saturday morning for the matione films shows, coming out slaping your side pretending to ride your horse.
Hi Ray just came across your thread and it gave me many memories of the time I lived in Gower street during the 1950,s and 60,s.
My family originally lived at 17 Gower street and we moved up to across the road to live face in you next door to the Meeks in 1958.
I went to Lozells street primary school and was in the same class as your brother Brian, and an old friend of mine, Spud Taylor, lived just below you in a back house.
I don`t know if you remember me but I assume Brian will, my name is Bob Plant and I have a sister Carol and a brother John.

Hi Ray just came across your thread and it gave me many memories of the time I lived in Gower street during the 1950,s and 60,s.
My family originally lived at 17 Gower street and we moved up to across the road to live face in you next door to the Meeks in 1958.
I went to Lozells street primary school and was in the same class as your brother Brian, and an old friend of mine, Spud Taylor, lived just below you in a back house.
I don`t know if you remember me but I assume Brian will, my name is Bob Plant and I have a sister Carol and a brother John.
Hi BOB1 my memory deserts me at present, but the only Beckett/Smiths left from 67 are Sheila Crow living in Bornville, Brian living in AlumRock, John living in Derby & Myself living in Rowley Regis. Would like to hear more of your memories please e-mail me on [email protected].

RAY B
Hi. Three generations of the Burton's lived at No. 84, from the mid to late1800's until the late 50's with their Aunt Rose. Rose continued in the house until imminent demolition in the early 70's.

Last edited:
Both are Gower Street Second Re-modern School. The one on the Lozells Road was the block that had the first years play ground on the roof in the other block was for the science class. there also was on the other side of the Lozells road by the Church a local police station, behind it was the old Gower Street science rooms. I was there the year Mr Long first came to the school. He took the second years? may have wrong year. But remember Staging a sit down in the school yard after coming back from compulsory gym exercise on a very hot day and not being allowed a cold drink of water. ps we won.

Three photos of Gower Street Infants from 1933 and 1934 with my middle sister (born 1927) on the left (with dark hair) and an older one, unknown date with my eldest sister on the left (born 1923)

Attachments

• Schooldance-2.jpg
    Schooldance-2.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Schooldance-1[1].jpg
    Schooldance-1[1].jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Doris-School.jpg
    Doris-School.jpg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back