• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

There is no mystery here. The whole area was reconstructed at the end of th 60s. Street were recreated, new ones built although they did seem to do this using the sewage, electricity and gas layout without changing it too much. New street names were created, eg Guildford Drive, and I assume Clifford Walk. I have a map of the area from 1871, there is the small school which became Gower Street infants but there doesn't yet seem to be Gower Street boys school. I am sorry I can't upload it as the resolution is too low. If I find a better copy later I will upload it.
As I said 'boys school'. In the 40s and 50s and before the war older boys went to Gower Street, older girls went to Lozells Street. Attached is a photo of Gower Street and the corner of Guildford Street (the mysterious Clifford Walk bit). Notice the name of the street is Gower Street.
View attachment 155274
I see Furnace Lane ,
We called this part of the three gulley’s , started at Porchester street , crossed Clifford street and one other , hence
“ three gulleys “
Albert Clayton

photo from above showing gower st school circled also shows the other part of the school corner of lozells road and guildford st date 1950...thanks to OM for this

lyn

View attachment 157013
What a great photo. If it's from 1950 it looks like the apex roofs had been removed between then and 1958 when I was there. This photo of Guilford St taken from Lozells Rd end shows the corner of the school as I remember it.
Guilford St  with school copy.jpg

hi bango bit confused...i believe the photo you posted is taken from guildford st looking towards lozells road showing the newer part of gower st school which is still there and the caretakers house next to it..the house was demolished a few years ago..

lyn

its a pity the caretakers house had to be demolished...street view 2008

hi bango bit confused...i believe the photo you posted is taken from guildford st looking towards lozells road showing the newer part of gower st school which is still there and the caretakers house next to it..the house was demolished a few years ago..

lyn
Hi Lyn, yes, this photo was taken in Guilford St. But taken from where the blue dot is facing Gower St. The houses outlined in green are the houses in the photo. Sorry I haven't got a contemporary map. Barry

Guilford St Gower St School copy.jpg

oops my error then barry for years since i found that photo ive always assumed it was showing gower st top of lozells road..seems to have a flat roof which that one does...thanks for the correction

lyn

oops my error then barry for years since i found that photo ive always assumed it was showing gower st top of lozells road..seems to have a flat roof which that one does...thanks for the correction

lyn
It's an easy mistake Lyn, it took me ages to figure that one out before I put it on the interactive map. So many schools and I didn't know any of them.

It was taken in 1967
Hi Banjo

This photo was taken the year I started going to the school. As far as I remember the roof was always flat. But clearly Lyn's picture of Gower Street from above shows the apex roofing.
Thank you for pointing that out.

It's not just the roof that went; the street name changed to Clifford Walk too.

There is certainly a lack of photos of this building around, compared to the main one (that's where the Headmaster's office was) which still stands today, and even less pictures of the third crafts building on Lozells Road.

lyn
Lyn, it's the only photo that I've come across showing that part of the school. There must be a photo somewhere that shows all of that building. It's encouraging that there are photos on the Forum of the three corners of Gower St & Guilford St but not that elusive 4th corner showing the School.

Gower Street corner with Guilford St 1.jpgGower Street corner with Guilford St 2.jpgGower St corner with Guilford St 3.jpg

Lyn, it's the only photo that I've come across showing that part of the school. There must be a photo somewhere that shows all of that building. It's encouraging that there are photos on the Forum of the three corners of Gower St & Guilford St but not that elusive 4th corner showing the School.

View attachment 157093View attachment 157094View attachment 157095
yes barry but they are out there somewhere...just added it to my ever growing list of photos to search for when i can get an appointment for the libary archives which looking at their website will not be anytime soon...i will be showing that photo to a friend of mine who lived in guildford st next door to gower st school so his house will be showing

lyn

yes dave in fact there was another part next to the church on lozells road

lyn
I did know that one, it was where we had our science classes. I am still puzzled as to what Banjo is referring to when he said the elusive view showing the school.
Dave A

I did know that one, it was where we had our science classes. I am still puzzled as to what Banjo is referring to when he said the elusive view showing the school.
Dave A
dave banjo is talking about trying to find a decent ground level photo of the original gower st school corner of gower st and guildford st...if you go to post 93 there is an overhead shot of it which is circled and if you look further up you can also see the part of the school which you posted a photo of corner of guildford and lozells road..post 95 shows a not very good photo of the original school but we are searching for a better one...

lyn

Back