• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

hi topsyturvey, have u any names to go with the photo, i knew a lot of boys from gower street school about that year, also lots of cousins went there,
(lindev)

Hi lindev, from the backrow ? Kenny carter,roger foggarty,billy attenborough,brian simpson,david burgess,
middle ? Simon ward ,john donelly,keith baker,tony turvey,desmond boyle. It isn,t a very clear scan i will see if i can do another one. I will sort photos out as i have a couple

thank you Topsyturvey, yes i knew roger foggarty i believe he lived in wheeler street, if its the correct roger im thinking about, and brian simpson rings a bell but will have to think about that one, please put more photos on if you have them we love to see them,

hi topsy...great pic..please post some more if you have them as there are quiet a few members who went to gower st school...

lyn

My late father attended Gower street school and I have his leaving cerificate. He left in 1939 and the head teachers name was Sydney Matts

The teacher is Wally Eyton. He was instrumental in me having to leave Gower St and go to Harry Lucas. I dont wish to say what i thought about this bloke who was feared by most. Max

I will post some photos that have been previously posted before by me and others, probably Astoness. The first three are Gower Street Scool

Gowerst-2.jpg

Gowerst-1.jpg

gower-street-school-1931.jpg

I have an old photo showing the staging of the "Merchant of Venice", circa early 30's(a guess). The backside is posted "Played by The Gowerite Old Girls Club". Did such a group exist in Birmingham back then, where did this school exist and was it called Gower Girls School or something else. Any info would be appreciated

Saw this lovely picture on connecting Histories. It does say Gower St School Ladywood. Does anyone know if there was one in Ladywood?gower st ladywood 1890.jpg i only know of the one in Lozells.

went to gower st 1952_1957 mr matts was head and mr eyton was also art teacher other teachers mr edwards mr evans mr phillips lads i knew are john mosedale john clarke stanley evel amongst others my name is john mills

went to gower st 1952_1957 mr matts was head and mr eyton was also art teacher other teachers mr edwards mr evans mr phillips lads i knew are john mosedale john clarke stanley evel amongst others my name is john mills

I went there 1951-53, after which time I went to Moseley Art School. I remember Mr Matts, also Killer Dean. My brother Jack Astley was there from too, not sure of the year, but he was a couple of years older than me, and went to Summer Lane first. He fought the cock of the school at Gower St and put him in the school clinic....remember having to put the gloves on if you wanted to fight (on the roof)

Dave A

Hi Banjo

You can only edit your post, you can't delete it, so I have deleted it for you.

Hi Silhouette. I attended Gower St. 1952-1957 so did my elder brother Brian. We lived at 67 Gower St. I left (1942-1962) when I got Married. Mr Matts was the head 52-57 quite handy with his cane. The playground on the roof was to give the first years a chance of completing it. Without the head down the toilet. We also made a great gain each week by exchanging, our free dinner tickets for a few pence so we could have a chip dinner instead of the so called food served up there, and the so called teachers who forced the food down us. RAYB

Hi lindev, from the backrow ? Kenny carter,roger foggarty,billy attenborough,brian simpson,david burgess,
middle ? Simon ward ,john donelly,keith baker,tony turvey,desmond boyle. It isn,t a very clear scan i will see if i can do another one. I will sort photos out as i have a couple
I was at Gower Street School from 1961 to 1965 and I remember a lot of those names, unfortunately I'm not able to view your photo as my pc states there is an error.
I don't recall a Desmond Boyle but there was a Desmond Byles. My teachers I recall were :- 1B Mr. Woodward, 2A Mr. Staunton, 3A Mr. Edwards, 4B Mr. Ward.
Other Teachers I recall Mr. Cross (Science) Mr. Jones (Music) Mr. Eyton (History) Mr. Philips (5th. Year, Deputy Head I believe) Mr. Ball (Head)

hello jmildenhall and welcome to the forum...would you by any chance have lived in gerrard street or and new street..

lyn

Last edited:
hello jmildenhall and welcome to the forum...would you by any chance have lived in gerrard street or and new street..

lyn
I may have been Lyn, I'll have to Check it :) Would you happen to have lived in or near Furnace Lane at that time by any chance.
My guess is we are both correct, and Hi Lyn.

hi john no i lived in villa street but you surely must be the brother of georgina ?? who i know lived in gerrard st and new st...we were best friends at lozells girls school:)

lyn

Last edited:
hi john no i lived in villa street but you surely must be the brother of georgina ?? who i know lived in gerrard st and new st...we were best friends at lozells girls school:)

lyn
You got me Lyn. Hope you are still in contact with georgina, I'll mention you next time I see her. BTW we may have got off topic lol.

dont worry john a tad off topic is allowed..actually i was talking to george just the other day..hope you enjoy the forum john there is plenty to read about..oh my brother also went to gower st school but he would have started there round about the time you left..i may have one or two photos of new st but if you are interested i have posted quite a lot of gerrard st prior to demo under the gerrard st thread

lyn

hi john as far as i know gower st school did not change its name it just closed.... holte school was built in wheeler st round about the early 1970s.. it was a mixed school and when lozells girls school was demolished all the girls moved to holte as did the pupils of gower st when that closed...holte school did not last very long as it was demolished a few years back now and there is new housing on that ground

lyn

I may have been Lyn, I'll have to Check it :) Would you happen to have lived in or near Furnace Lane at that time by any chance.
My guess is we are both correct, and Hi Lyn.
I Have only just seen this message so I dont really know what you want to know but I grew up in furnace lane the centre part right on the highest point so if I can help you with anything let me know. Margaret

Back