• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

hi sylvia..isnt it a great find of colins...like you i do hope someone map pop up and identify some of the pupils....

lyn

hi all..took these pics the other day..i think there was another part to the school which has long since gone...this is all that remains and includes the caretakers house...i do have concerns over what will happen to this....

lyn

Nice photos Lyn - did you know that there was (still is) a playground on the roof of the school building ? you can see the railings still there along the edge - my god ! what would the health and safety eedjits have to say about that nowadays i wonder !!!!! I mean, its almost as dangerous as playing conkers !! LOL My late older brother Tom went to Gower St and I vividly recall that my mom used to make him toast for his morning break and on the way to shop at the co-op she would push me in my pushchair via the school gate next to the caretakers house and he would come to the gate and I would hand him his toast - I was about 2 or 3 but the memory is VERY clear. I suppose these buildings will 'go west' just as everything else is going / has gone . . . . . . . ah well, thats progress ( or so the saying goes )

hi ya col...im going back there to see if i am allowed in to take some pics...would like to get on the roof as well...you know what they say...if you dont ask you dont get....once again nice memories of yours...

lyn

Hi I am looking for photos of Gower Street School in the 1950,s. I left there in 1953 Coronation year.
Eddie

EXTRACT FROM THE REPORTS OF THE ‘LOZELLS CHAPEL’ 1862

The experience of a year has proved the great desirableness of a day school for young children in our neighbourhood, in which the most approved methods of instruction should be adopted.

The numbers who have attended have obliged us to engage a fourth teacher. The school will now be under the superintendence of Miss Hescroff, who comes to us with the most satisfactory testimonials.

Long journeys to different parts of the country to see teachers who have been recommended to us, to examine their schools, and to make enquiries respecting them, have resulted in our engagement of Miss Hescroff, of whose thorough fitness for the post, and high qualifications as a teacher, we entertain the fullest confidence.

A library, containing a large number of books, suited to young children, has lately been supplied to the school.

The childrens’ payments this year have amounted to £145.0s.8d. The current expenses of the School have amounted to £158.15s.4d. This includes teachers’ salaries, coal, cleaning, ground rent, insurance etc. and is exclusive of all expense involved in school furniture, fittings, materials for teaching, such as books etc. The cost of the School for this year therefore exceeds its income by £13.14s.8d.

Instead of a whole holiday on Saturdays, the children will in future have a half-holiday on Wednesday and Saturday.

RAGGED SCHOOL

Some of our young friends have commenced a Ragged School in Inkermann Street, Aston New Town. It numbers at present about 60 scholars and six teachers.

The School is held on Sunday evenings, from 5.00 to 6.30, on Thursday evenings, from 8.00 to 9.00, and on Saturday evenings from 7.30 to 8.30

THE GOWER STREET DAY SCHOOLS 1867

For the first time since the establishment of these schools, the income last year was equal to the expenditure. This was due to the large number and regular attendance of the scholars, and a somewhat higher rate of payment of fees. All who can afford it should pay half a guinea a quarter for their children’s education, as it is not desirable that the schools should depend on private benevolence for any measure of their support; and that the instruction given there is worth that amount, parents are invited to come and see for themselves. The schools are open to visitors at all times. The morning is the best part of the day for seeing them.

The expenses of the schools last year were £161.17s.11d and the income was £162.0s.10 ½ d

Last edited by a moderator:
hi topsyturvey, have u any names to go with the photo, i knew a lot of boys from gower street school about that year, also lots of cousins went there,
(lindev)

Hi lindev, from the backrow ? Kenny carter,roger foggarty,billy attenborough,brian simpson,david burgess,
middle ? Simon ward ,john donelly,keith baker,tony turvey,desmond boyle. It isn,t a very clear scan i will see if i can do another one. I will sort photos out as i have a couple

thank you Topsyturvey, yes i knew roger foggarty i believe he lived in wheeler street, if its the correct roger im thinking about, and brian simpson rings a bell but will have to think about that one, please put more photos on if you have them we love to see them,

hi topsy...great pic..please post some more if you have them as there are quiet a few members who went to gower st school...

lyn

My late father attended Gower street school and I have his leaving cerificate. He left in 1939 and the head teachers name was Sydney Matts

The teacher is Wally Eyton. He was instrumental in me having to leave Gower St and go to Harry Lucas. I dont wish to say what i thought about this bloke who was feared by most. Max

I will post some photos that have been previously posted before by me and others, probably Astoness. The first three are Gower Street Scool

Gowerst-2.jpg

Gowerst-1.jpg

gower-street-school-1931.jpg

I have an old photo showing the staging of the "Merchant of Venice", circa early 30's(a guess). The backside is posted "Played by The Gowerite Old Girls Club". Did such a group exist in Birmingham back then, where did this school exist and was it called Gower Girls School or something else. Any info would be appreciated

Saw this lovely picture on connecting Histories. It does say Gower St School Ladywood. Does anyone know if there was one in Ladywood?gower st ladywood 1890.jpg i only know of the one in Lozells.

Back