• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

gothic terrace clifton road

morris

master brummie
Does anyone have any photographs of Gothic Terrace in Clifton Road Aston . i was born there in 1942 at number 16 i would love to see any photos Thank You Reg Morris

will keep a look out for any pics for you reg...we have another member judy who i am sure would also like a pics of gothic terrace..

lyn

Hello Reg - Maybe one day we will get to see a picture of Gothic Terrace hopefully. Hope you're keeping well.

Judy

Thanks Aston Lad. Think it was you that posted this lovely photo on another thread recently, but I can't remember which one it was though. I did copy the photo in the hope that it showed the ladies of Gothic Terrace with, hopefully, a couple of mine in there. I can see one of the hubbies peeking through the window!

Judy

Yes I did....I think it was Courtyards etc, cannot fully remember myself now, ...I was sent this photo years ago and I am certain it is Gothic Terrace.....

Does anyone have any photographs of Gothic Terrace in Clifton Road Aston . i was born there in 1942 at number 16 i would love to see any photos Thank You Reg Morris
Morris,

I am so sorry I am so late to this thread. By a million to one coincidence my grandfather Thomas Ford was born at 16 Gothic Terrace in 1905. I don't know if you ever got a photo of it, I would love to see a copy if you did. His family were still there in 1911 but by 1921 they had moved to Park Lane Aston.

Malcolm Robinson

Sorry Malcome have had no replies to photos
Thank you anyway Morris. So amazing for me to think you were born and lived in the same house as my grandfather. If you get a bit of spare time and you don't mind, could you described what it was like, numbers of rooms, size that kind of thing. I would be very grateful. But please don't worry if you haven't time.

Malcolm

How interesting to connect with someone who lived in the same house! Hopefully, if you’re both able to exchange memories, it’ll bring back so much about the place. Viv.

Hello Reg - Maybe one day we will get to see a picture of Gothic Terrace hopefully. Hope you're keeping well.

Judy
Hello Judy,

I have only found this thread today and by a million to one chance. I have noticed searching through it that your ancestors lived in number 17 Gothic Terrace, my grandfather Thomas Ford was born in number 16 Gothic Terrace in 1905 and was living next to your ancestors in 1911.

Malcolm

Hello Malcolm. Wonderful that your grandfather, Thomas Ford, was living next door to my grandparents, Thomas and Rose Hanson in 1911 when they were living in No.17! What a small world! Your grandfather would probably have played with my auntie and uncle who would have been 7 and 5 years old in 1911. By 1912 my Grandparents had moved to 2 Gothic Terrace and my mother was born in that house, so Thomas would more than likely have known her too. My grandparents and their children lived at No.2 until moving around 1924.

My family had lived in 25 Court (Gothic Terrace) from 1881 - my 2 x Gt.Grandmother at No.2. Another relative in 1901 at No.5. My Grandparents lived firstly in 1881 at No.10, moving to No.7 where they lived until they died, and the house was then lived in until about 1940 by my mother's auntie and uncle. So, my family lived in Gothic Terrace for around 60 years! Phew! Did Thomas tell you anything about his time there?

Judy

Morris,

I am so sorry I am so late to this thread. By a million to one coincidence my grandfather Thomas Ford was born at 16 Gothic Terrace in 1905. I don't know if you ever got a photo of it, I would love to see a copy if you did. His family were still there in 1911 but by 1921 they had moved to Park Lane Aston.

Malcolm Robinson
Hi Malcome I was born there at 16 in 1942.My mother was Jessie Morris ,maiden name Bullock. My fathers name was Reginald like myself I had a older sister Violet and younger brother Billy.
My moms brother Joe Bullock and his wife Madge and 2
Children Tony and Frankie, lived I think at number10.
Another of my Auties lived next door to us.
I was only 6 when I left there ,so my memories are not to good.
I think the house were 2 bedrooms and a living room with an old fashioned cast iron fire place ovens on both side. I think they were called ranges. They looked like ones you see in Black Country museum.we used to boil our kettles on it and do toast on a fork made from old steel coat hangers.when you went in front doors stairs was right in front of you. Too the left of stairs with a small kitchen just big enough to get a gas stove and Belfast brick sink in it.
The house had a very small garden, It had no back garden. Our toilet was an outside toilet at top of terrace. There was2 off them and they were communal toilets for all the terrace to share.
To get into terrace you had to go up steps. Top of steps houses were on either side.Each had small front gardens with a small garden gate. Some had air shelters in them.
Some of family’s I remember was Wishtons and Williams. That’s all I can remember, I will send photos if I manage to get any. Regards Reg Morris

Hi Malcome I was born there at 16 in 1942.My mother was Jessie Morris ,maiden name Bullock. My fathers name was Reginald like myself I had a older sister Violet and younger brother Billy.
My moms brother Joe Bullock and his wife Madge and 2
Children Tony and Frankie, lived I think at number10.
Another of my Auties lived next door to us.
I was only 6 when I left there ,so my memories are not to good.
I think the house were 2 bedrooms and a living room with an old fashioned cast iron fire place ovens on both side. I think they were called ranges. They looked like ones you see in Black Country museum.we used to boil our kettles on it and do toast on a fork made from old steel coat hangers.when you went in front doors stairs was right in front of you. Too the left of stairs with a small kitchen just big enough to get a gas stove and Belfast brick sink in it.
The house had a very small garden, It had no back garden. Our toilet was an outside toilet at top of terrace. There was2 off them and they were communal toilets for all the terrace to share.
To get into terrace you had to go up steps. Top of steps houses were on either side.Each had small front gardens with a small garden gate. Some had air shelters in them.
Some of family’s I remember was Wishtons and Williams. That’s all I can remember, I will send photos if I manage to get any. Regards Reg Morris
Morris,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share these memories with me. It is great to get a feel for what the house was like and how the families lived. My grandfather Thomas Ford lived there with his parents Charles and Emily and his two sisters Helena & Alice. I know there were there in 1911 but as I said before by 1921 they had moved to 27 Park Lane Aston. I don't know the exact date. Sadly my grandfather died very young (54) I was only about 5/6 so I don't really know much about his life.

Again, thank you so much for your time and patience and if I come across any photos I will forward them to you.

Malcolm

Hello Malcolm. Wonderful that your grandfather, Thomas Ford, was living next door to my grandparents, Thomas and Rose Hanson in 1911 when they were living in No.17! What a small world! Your grandfather would probably have played with my auntie and uncle who would have been 7 and 5 years old in 1911. By 1912 my Grandparents had moved to 2 Gothic Terrace and my mother was born in that house, so Thomas would more than likely have known her too. My grandparents and their children lived at No.2 until moving around 1924.

My family had lived in 25 Court (Gothic Terrace) from 1881 - my 2 x Gt.Grandmother at No.2. Another relative in 1901 at No.5. My Grandparents lived firstly in 1881 at No.10, moving to No.7 where they lived until they died, and the house was then lived in until about 1940 by my mother's auntie and uncle. So, my family lived in Gothic Terrace for around 60 years! Phew! Did Thomas tell you anything about his time there?

Judy
Judy,

Sorry for the delay in replying I was out all day yesterday. It is truly a remarkable coincidence. In 1911, my grandfather Thomas (5) was living at number 16 with his parents Charles & Emily and his sister Helena (4). I see that your aunt and uncle Thomas and Rose were virtually the same age so they must have played together, it would be a miracle if they hadn't.

You obviously have strong family connections to Gothic Terrace. I knew it was in Clifton Road but didn't know where until I saw your exchange with Mike who posted the map of Court 25 and a little later someone had posted a map of the terrace showing the house numbers.

I hope my family weren't such bad neighbours they forced your grandparents to move out in 1912!! I know my grandfather and family moved out sometime between 1911 and 1921 but I don't know exactly when. I'm afraid Thomas died very young (54) and I was only about 5/6 myself so I hadn't really talked much about his life with him as I was so young. If only..!

All I know is that they were quite poor and his father Charles had fought in the Boer War and was in the reserve for 12 years after that. He was due for his final discharge on 15th September 1914 but the outbreak of WW1 on 4th August 1914 meant he got called up and sent to Belgium. He did survive and I did meet him although I was only about 3 and can't really remember it.

If I get any photos of Gothic Terrace I will make sure I send you a copy. Thank you for getting in touch, I appreciate your time.

Malcolm

Morris,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share these memories with me. It is great to get a feel for what the house was like and how the families lived. My grandfather Thomas Ford lived there with his parents Charles and Emily and his two sisters Helena & Alice. I know there were there in 1911 but as I said before by 1921 they had moved to 27 Park Lane Aston. I don't know the exact date. Sadly my grandfather died very young (54) I was only about 5/6 so I don't really know much about his life.

Again, thank you so much for your time and patience and if I come across any photos I will forward them to you.

Malcolm
Hi Malcome I spoke to my elder sister yesterday.. she said each side of houses had 2 outside toilets. She also told. me we had an air aid shelter at bottom of garden,Also at the bottom of our garden was a shared brew house. The entrance to it was from outside our garden. She also said there were no steps when you entered terrace as I thought there was. She said the entrance to terrace. Had a brick wall either side of entrance with a brick archway in middle. I am learning as I go along. I remember we had gas lighting in house, you had to ignite mantle to get them to work .All best Reg

Hi Malcome I spoke to my elder sister yesterday.. she said each side of houses had 2 outside toilets. She also told. me we had an air aid shelter at bottom of garden,Also at the bottom of our garden was a shared brew house. The entrance to it was from outside our garden. She also said there were no steps when you entered terrace as I thought there was. She said the entrance to terrace. Had a brick wall either side of entrance with a brick archway in middle. I am learning as I go along. I remember we had gas lighting in house, you had to ignite mantle to get them to work .All best Reg
Reg,

Sorry I have been calling you Morris! Old age and stupidity I think, apologies. And thank you for the information from your sister. It's really nice to get a picture of life in the terrace. Where was the nearest school because I assume my grandfather would have gone to the nearest one?

Thanks again,

Malcolm

Reg,

Sorry I have been calling you Morris! Old age and stupidity I think, apologies. And thank you for the information from your sister. It's really nice to get a picture of life in the terrace. Where was the nearest school because I assume my grandfather would have gone to the nearest one?

Thanks again,

Malcolm
Upper Thomas School was the one I went to. I was only in area till I was 6. There was quite a few other. Schools in area. Upper Thomas school was in sreet at end of Clifton Road where Gothic Terrace was.. where do you live now

Upper Thomas School was the one I went to. I was only in area till I was 6. There was quite a few other. Schools in area. Upper Thomas school was in sreet at end of Clifton Road where Gothic Terrace was.. where do you live now
Thank you Reg, I would assume he would have gone to that school too if it is the nearest one. I was born in Birmingham near Garretts Green Technical College, then moved to Stechford, then when I was 35 I moved down to Portsmouth with my job and have been here since. Up until 2020 I visited about every 5/6 weeks to see my dad but unfortuanately he died of COVID in 2020.

Malcolm

Back