• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Got any lunch mate?

anthea

master brummie
Does anyone remember Bob's Cafe, corner of Argyle Street, Aston, opposite Booth's factory gates in the 1930's/40's where the poor kids would wait for the men coming out of the factory and would then ask the men "Got any lunch mate?". The kids would take the sandwiches home to be shared out. My husband would like to know if anyone remembers this - he was one of those kids. Some of the factory workers would bring food especially for the kids.

Anthea.

I remember Bob's Cafe in Argyle Street but in the 60's/70's opposite the main entrance to the Delta Metals site (ex Booths)where I worked. It closed mid to late 70's,Tom's Cafe on the corner of Argyle Street & Cuckoo Road stayed open I think till the 80's

Dave

Dave Ed, Thanks for that, brought us up-to-date regarding Bob's Cafe, but perhaps the kids had gone and maybe times were better when you worked around there in the 60's./70's.
Anthea.

When I was the advertising manager for Pepsi-Cola in the early 70's every Bob's cafe in brum was owned by the same man, A guy called Bob Norman.
He used to open a new cafe every couple of months, and
he would ring me up to provide him with a sign.
These signs were standard Pepsi-Cola fascias and double-sided projecting signs, they were personalised
with the name of the cafe or est., but were conditional
on the premises selling Pepsi products.
He used to ring me up and tell me to go to one of his cafes, he was never there, but there was always an envelope with £50 in it, was a heck of a lot of money then, but still cheaper than ordering 1,000 cans of pop
and having to replace a repeat order every month.
Needless to say he always got his sign. wink, wink.

My Dad who grew up in Whitehouse Street was one of those kids asking for the lunches. Anthea who is your husband
regards
Amanda

Hello Amanda, My husband lived in Argyle Terrace off Cuckoo Road and Long Acre in Aston. The Terrace was next to Austin's Coal Yard and next to Bob's Cafe. It was the men from Booth's factory who provided the 'lunch'. Is this the area your Dad was familiar with?
Regards, Anthea.

Last edited:
Back