• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gosta green

W

Woodman

I have read several threads recently about Gosta Green, the old college behind the Fire Station, and the TV studios. In 1959/60 I was a new probationer working from Steelhouse Lane Police Station. I visited the TV studio several times and saw the Percy Thrower programme being broadcast. I dont think they had recording at the time. It was interesting to see how basic the set was, half a timber greenhouse, no glass of course, and a long blue back sheet, because, as I was told, it showed up well in black and white. They also stored stage furniture there, and honestly I wouldnt have given it house room, but I was assured its condition wouldnt show up onTV. What was an experience for me, an immigrant from London, was to go to the sixth floor restaurant in the College of Commerce to get a cup of coffee at about 6.30 on Monday morning, and then to watch the smoke haze slowly grow over the City from all the furnaces starting up. The cloud lingered all week until the Saturday evening. I had also worked at the old Stampings Alliance in Argyle Street, Nechells in about 1957, so I also knew what it was like at ground level. You could feel those drop hammers hit the bottom up in Erdington.

I got some shots today of the former Delicia Cinema and The Sacks of Potatoes (while on my lunch break from work)

The former cinema is behind hoardings

Aston University - Former Delicia Cinema by ell brown, on Flickr

Aston University - Former Delicia Cinema by ell brown, on Flickr

And here is The Sacks of Potatoes for you guys.

Aston University - The Sacks of Potatoes, Gosta Green by ell brown, on Flickr

Aston University - The Sacks of Potatoes, Gosta Green by ell brown, on Flickr

Also took a shot of the two of them together

Aston University - Former Delicia Cinema and The Sacks of Potatoes by ell brown, on Flickr

Lovely pictures. Brings back memories. Thanks for taking the time.

No problem. While it was cold, the sky was clear, and I've been meaning to get shots of these on my lunch break for a while.

Not to many people in front of them.

Hello lovely people,
In the Mail yesterday was a photograph of Gosta Green. I wonder, and hoping that someone can help me get my bearings????

I remember the cinema, Legge Street, Aston Road and I think there was an Aston Street but cannot be sure.

I presume it is the angle that the picture was taken from which has confused me but I cannot remember the triangular part with the trams at all.

Also of course I remember the fountain where I was glad to have a drink many a time. { digressing for a sec. just remembered a drinking thing that was a lions head??? }

Hope you are all fit and well and not burned to a frazzle.

Betty.

Hello Betty, I was also confused and wondered if the photograph was more towards Lancaster Place before the fire station was built. Gosta Green had a slope going down towards the little rec. ground if I remember correctly.

Betty, I suspect the Gosta Green you remember was much further back than the photo in Yesterdays Mail, that was taken before the fire headquarters was built and is now known as Lancaster Circus, There are two photos here. One from the Mail yesterday and an older one that shows the Gosta Green that most of us remember.

Attachments

• Gosta Green.jpg
    Gosta Green.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Gosta Green The Old Peacock.jpg
    Gosta Green The Old Peacock.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 146
My family on both sides originated in that vicinity:pride:They lived in Aston Rd, Digby St, Gem St , Greaves Place, Duke Street, Lawrence St.

Hello lovely people,
In the Mail yesterday was a photograph of Gosta Green. I wonder, and hoping that someone can help me get my bearings????

I remember the cinema, Legge Street, Aston Road and I think there was an Aston Street but cannot be sure.

I presume it is the angle that the picture was taken from which has confused me but I cannot remember the triangular part with the trams at all.

Also of course I remember the fountain where I was glad to have a drink many a time. { digressing for a sec. just remembered a drinking thing that was a lions head??? }

Hope you are all fit and well and not burned to a frazzle.

Betty.
The fountain survived and is in a slightly different location, well it was there last time i looked but you never know with Brum:05.18-flustered: It doesn't function as a fountain though.
Bottom of this page..
https://www.photobydjnorton.com/CityCentreOutsideIRR.html

Hello again, Many thanks for your help. I now have one or two bells ringing. Would I be right in presuming the road to the left is Corporation Street ??? and the one to the right Aston Road, ???.
I now remember the fire station, I was always afraid to pass it , my brother told me than when the alarm went off the huge doors flew open and an engine flew out of the door and if you were in the way they ran over you. I used to run past there dodging from post to post. Thanks for the photos Phil.Most explanetary when you have such good evidence.
Hello Brumgum, I was born in Digby Street, Many, many years ago.!!!!!!!

Thank you Ellbrown for the link to Aston University.
I was wondering where Woodcock street was because I do remember the baths.
Betty.

Hello again, Many thanks for your help. I now have one or two bells ringing. Would I be right in presuming the road to the left is Corporation Street ??? and the one to the right Aston Road, ???.
I now remember the fire station, I was always afraid to pass it , my brother told me than when the alarm went off the huge doors flew open and an engine flew out of the door and if you were in the way they ran over you. I used to run past there dodging from post to post. Thanks for the photos Phil.Most explanetary when you have such good evidence.
Hello Brumgum, I was born in Digby Street, Many, many years ago.!!!!!!!
Almost right Betty, It's Aston Street and becomes Aston Road at the fountain. My father was also born in Digby Street in 1927.

Hello Brumgum, I am feeling rather nervous !!!!! i.e. is my past catching up with me??????
I was born 1929!!!!!!

Betty.
My Dad moved to River Street and then Lawrence Street, my mother lived on Aston Rd a few doors down from the Delicia. My Nan married the Greengrocer in Aston Rd named Jim Ashton, just down from the fountain. Mom and dad used to visit Kyrle Hall. I also had a great uncle that had a greengrocers at Gosta Green.

A few more pics.

First the Gosta Green (or Eastern) Library in 1910. This was at the junction of Legge Street and Aston Road and was built in 1866.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374507849.351978.jpg

Next the Market Hall on Gosta Green in 1963. It was built in 1837, probably demolished soon after the photo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374507952.478156.jpg

Finally the Kyrle Hall on Sheepcote Street was built in 1892/3. The Kyrle Society aimed to bring natural and artistic beauty into the lives of B'ham people. It was re-built in 1936 and demolished in 1968. Such a pity, the loss of an Arts and Crafts style building.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374508401.774281.jpg

Pictures from Roy Thornton's Lost Buildings Of Birmingham.

Viv.

Thank you Ellbrown for the link to Aston University.
I was wondering where Woodcock street was because I do remember the baths.
Betty.

No problem Betty. The Woodcock Sports Centre has recently been extended. And is now known as the Sir Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre.

There is a gym now where the swimming pool used to be (various exercise machines).

The fountain survived and is in a slightly different location, well it was there last time i looked but you never know with Brum:05.18-flustered: It doesn't function as a fountain though.
Bottom of this page..
https://www.photobydjnorton.com/CityCentreOutsideIRR.html

Not sure if the fountain is still there as Aston University keep building new buildings in the area (not been near that part in ages). I usually stick to Aston Street, and the paths near Lakeside.

Many thanks for the photo's and information. I remember going to a large hall and singing ` Onward Christian Soldiers ` I wonder if that was Kyrle Hall.

This sort of thing is very good for the brain is it not ??? I find I am thinking of things that I had no knowledge of until I asked for your help. Also I can now see the fascination of the Forum.

Wii continue racking my brain to see what else I can find. Although I still cannot remember Brumgum`s Dad. In fact I cannot remember any other people except Mrs. Marlow & Mrs. Gregg who were in the cellar with us when the bomb dropped.

Betty

I could be wrong and stand corrected if so, but I think your second photo might have been A.B.Row Viv.

You're absolutely right Rupert. The market hall was on an island bounded by A.B. Row, Belmont Row and Prospect Row. Viv.

Many thanks for the photo's and information. I remember going to a large hall and singing ` Onward Christian Soldiers ` I wonder if that was Kyrle Hall.

This sort of thing is very good for the brain is it not ??? I find I am thinking of things that I had no knowledge of until I asked for your help. Also I can now see the fascination of the Forum.

Wii continue racking my brain to see what else I can find. Although I still cannot remember Brumgum`s Dad. In fact I cannot remember any other people except Mrs. Marlow & Mrs. Gregg who were in the cellar with us when the bomb dropped.

Betty
Was that the bomb that hit the food factory with all the exploding tins of food in Holte Street. My Nan's main concern when the bomb dropped was her piano and the fact that all her pegs had gone off the line:sorrow:. Anyone know what the name of the food factory was that got bombed in Holte Street:05.18-flustered:?.

the only food company listed in Holte St in 1940 (which was not there in 1943) was Samuel King & Son, wholesale grocers

Next the Market Hall on Gosta Green in 1963. It was built in 1837, probably demolished soon after the photo.

T
his was not on Gosta Green but was on AB Row same area though the building lasted some time maybe 70s J Saville Gordon later moved to the corner of Vauxhall Rd opposite the White Tower pub

I attended Gosta Green Technical Collage around 1959/60 when one day it became a university! Whilst there I can just about recall visiting, I think, Gosta green cinema which was converted into a BBC studio to show Percy Thrower and his latest gardening techniques, complete with green house.

Back