• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

19698victoriaduddestonmillrdsaltley.jpg

Another Duddeston Mill view...looking up towards the top..1969. I wonder where the little girl is now?
Not long after these pictures were taken,all this was cleared away.The folks living here probably ended up on some souless estate at the end of a bus-route.
May i ask if one of your readers has a colour photo of the Station Hotel,opposite Adderley Park station,
or the Rock pub,at the top of Alum Rock Rd?.
i am a life-long tea-totaller,not through any moral or religious motives i may add,but for the simple fact ..the stuff makes me ill!
But i have always been interested in old buildings,and pubs by their nature are one of the last links with our industrial past.

Hi Shedman

As has been already stated, another great photo, the Victoria on the corner of my road, a pub I used to frequent occasionally to look a the gaffers matchbox collection (well that's my story). I didn't get in there all that often as it was a long walk when the railway club was practically at the bottom of our terrace.

Will these two photo's of the Rock and the Station do?

Phil

AlumRockTheRockAlumRockRd.jpg
StationHotel.jpg

Hi Will
Many thanks but I have seen these photos . Why I wanted to see other photos is that I wanted to see a photo of Gus Taronis Scrap yard as we used to live right by it and also Nanny Roses sweetshop . We used to live at number 72 . So this photo os probably taken from our side of the road . I left there as a 7 year old and have very vague memories and just was interested to see if my memory is correct . Not to worry . many thanks Jean :) Keep the photos rolling BTW Its wonderful . Soon we shall have a totally faceless Birmingham so we must keep it alive in our hearts and memories .
Regards Jean x

Hi Jean

I'll take another look through my photos and see if I can find a photo of what you want, I remember Roses next door to the Newsagents opposite the side door of the Ashted Cinema. I remember it more as a grocers shop because that is where my mother used to get her weekly grocery and then some more during the week on tick until payday. That was before they opened the Supermarket on Alum Rock Rd.

I remember the scrap yard half way between Francis St and Heneage St on the same side. I didn't realise that it belonged to the Taroni's as they had another one in Francis St just down the street to us opposite the outdoor more or less.

Phil

Phil,
Thank you for the fast response,after my "appeal".The Station pub was a landmark to me for some years.
I went to Cherrywood Rd school,further on up the road.Going home to dinner every day meant walking past it four times daily.
As i was a keen train-spotter,the bridge was the scene of much excitement!
The old boy"Walter" (he was about 70)who acted as porter on the station was a terror to us lads.
The best description i can give of him..do you remember Henry Crunn in the Goon Show?
Thank you again,
ps.
Although not strictly on your patch, would you like any more Saltley pubs?

Hi Barbel 10

Yes there was a Prince of Wales corner of Gem St and a rising Sun on the corner of Old Cross St. I'll have a look to see if I have photos.

Phil

Many Thanks Phil :)
I was born in 1956 so I lived in Willis street until 1962/3 . My memories are very vague as you can imagine . My sister was a little older than me and whenever mum dressed her nice and clean she used to go play in Gus's yard and she used to come home black as the ace of spades ! His son was best friends with my uncle Cliff Mcdade and it was infact through Cliff that his son lost his thumb .
Nanny rose and her Black chow dog I remember that too . I also remember we had a brew house no bathroom only a tin bath and shared toilets with the yard . Once of our fav games was making a dustbin lid band and marching around in a line in the yard singing 'Hitlar has only got one ball !' Happy days
regards Jean

Yes Lyn

There was a pub on the corner of Heneage St and Windsor St called the Rising Sun, but it's not the same one. In this first photo you can see the Rising Sun on the corner of Old Cross St and you can just see the Gaiety Cinema a little further up the road. In the second photo on the corner of Duke St just past the Gaiety you can just make out The Prince of Wales.

Since posting these photos, I have been given a photo of The Prince of Wales on the corner of Duke St, so I am posting it here.

Phil

GostaGreenTheRisingSunOldCrossSt1950.jpg
GostaGreenColeshillSt1940s.jpg

GostaGreenPrinceofWalesColeshillSt2.jpg

Thanks Shedman for posting the photographs of Saltley also to Phil for the photograph of the Rock Pub. In 1943 I lived in Bridge Road at the top of Bowyer Road and I used to pass the Rock on my way to Leigh Road school, off Washwood Heath Road. During the War tanks travelled down Bowyer Road from the Morris Commercial factory, I remember that the road junctions where the tanks turned had to be strengthend with reinforced concrete because the surface was being churned up.
Changing the subject slightly, does any one remember The Coleseum,Saltley also The Rock and Grand cinemas.

Regards, Reg, "Roverman"

Hi Roverman

I'm sure if you were to browse through the cinema thread you would find many mentions of The Rock, The Carlton theatre which later reopened as the Coliseum and the Grand.

Phil

AlumRockRockAlumRockRd.jpg
SaltleySaltleyRdCarltonTheatre.jpg

AlumRockGrandAlumRock.jpg

Hi Phil of course iI remember The Rock but the other two escape me. Where were they located, maybe they had gone by the time I had broken out of the Ashted and had pennies in my pocket and could use the front door with a girl on my arm. Dek

Hi Phil,
Thanks for posting the photographs of the Coleseum, Rock and Grand cinemas, I remember well going to the childrens matiees pre war at the Coleseum, seeing Robin Hood Starring Errol Flynn at the Rock and Dangerous Moonlight At The Grand.
Regards Reg

Hi Roverman

I'm sure if you were to browse through the cinema thread you would find many mentions of The Rock, The Carlton theatre which later reopened as the Coliseum and the Grand.

Phil
Hi Phil, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the "Cinema" forum, have just spent two hours traveling down memory lane. Regards Reg
me

Hi Dek, The Coleseum was on the left as you turned right into Nechells Place off Saltley Viaduct almost opposite the old Saltley gasworks entrance, the Grand was in Alum Rock Road past the Highfield Road/Boyer Road junction. If you look at Google Street view and travel along Alum Rock Road towards The Pelham having passed Highfield Road you will see a Jet petrol Stn. on the left, I seem to remember it was about there.
Regards Reg

Thanks Reg Although I have no recollection of the Coleseum I now know the Grand opposite the Morris Commercial Club. Latter to become a Carpet sales shop I think it,s still there but hardly recognisable.Dek

Hi Dek

This is where the Coliseum stood before demolition, I don't remember it either. It was always the garage there as far back as I remember. It is still called the Carlton in this photo.

Phil

SaltleyCarltonTheatreNechellsPlace.jpg

Hi Dek

This is where the Coliseum stood before demolition, I don't remember it either. It was always the garage there as far back as I remember.

Phil

Phil,

I well remember visiting The Coliseum picture house when I was a kid.

But I particularly remember the service station in your picture that replaced it... The reason being that I was with my dad when he ran out of petrol at the top of Saltley Road, which was a long hill in those days.

Dad immediately knocked the car out of gear and rolled all the way down Saltley Road and - Oh, so nonchalantly ! - into the service station, and asked for a couple of gallons...!

Cheers

Jim
icon14.gif

Ernie,

I thought we had done this before, there was a C.C.Ward Scrap Dealers over the road at 126 Cato St who had yards on Great Francis St & Lord St. Perhaps it was something to do with them. At that close a proximity another Ward in the scrap game would be too much of a coincidence.

As for the garage at the bottom of Nechells Place I think it that after the Coliseum went it was always something to do with Ashted Coaches, later becoming Ashted Service Station.

Here is a better photo.

Phil

AshtedServiceStation.jpg

Hi Phil great photo.
would i be right in saying that's st Mathews in the foreground?
Grt lester st and my st ,Cromwell st across the road from that?
happy days.. Derek.

Phil. The picture of the garage in #2004 is where I got my very first motor. I think it was a Austin A30, and if I remember right, it cost £30.

Back