• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Can't find saltley dock on any map I have, but the 1896 Kellys lists Fellows Morton & clayton at Fazely St and Park wharf, while the 1880 one lists Claytons at Adderley Road,Saltley. therefore i think it reasonable to assume that Saltley dock was at Park wharf , Adderley road , as seen on 1902 map. If I am wrong then i am sure a cnal expert will soon correct me
mike

Hi, Mike,

Your mention of the Clayton name in the Saltley Docks thread reminds me that I could do with your assistance regarding a Messrs Clayton & Sons, who had a business in New Street, Birmingham, in 1842. I wonder if you have any record of this establishment that would tell us what the business traded in...?

I'd be glad of any info...

Cheers,

Jim
icon14.gif

Phil i,ve had a few days to think and i have come up with a new idea i think the caption is correct the photo was taken in Heanage St the section between Willis St and Henry St before the parkway was built when you look at the airial phot it show a block of flat half way up parkway completed on i would say a section of Heanage St The two blocks of flats were built by Waites one after the other in those days when they had little plant the huts would have been take4n down and erected on new sites so they merely took them down the road the two photos would have been taken 12-18 months apart . what do you think. Dek

Dek

I can't make out where you mean, do you mean the block toward the centre of the photo ot the one at the bottom middle?

phil

Sorry Phil in the photo of the parkway being constructed half way up towards Ashsted Row that i believe is the one. Also when you enlarge the original photo you can just make out a building between the shop and the flats. when you look at the airial shot there is a row of buildings directly behind the flat. hope that helps. Dek

Dek on the original photo that shows the parkway being constructed what you can see behind the partly completed block is Kellett Rd flats and the tower block this is on Heneage St was built in the very late 50's I had a mate who lived on the 7th floor. So that was built at least 15 years or more before they built The Parkway.

I took a walk round the area on Google today and it frightened me, nearly everything I saw being put up in the 50's & 60's has now been replaced. Not only do we have to get used to the fact that everything we knew has gone, but we also have to get used to the fact that everything that replaced it has now gone as well.

If someone had said to me in the late 50's this is what the area you live in will look like in 50 years time I would never have believed them.

Phil

You are right Phil, that's what keeps throwing me , no visual reference anymore as we knew it, wonder how long this lot will last., surely they could not have had the full life out of the last lot.

john..the same thing is happening over in newtown... they are ripping the place apart and pulling down what was built to replace the so called slums and doing another rebuild...and i dare say in about another 50 or so years they will come down...by doing this i reckon it dont give much scope for history in the future as the buildings are not staying up long enough ....

lyn

John & Lyn

It just amazes me the buildings that were there in the first place had been there in excess of a 100 years some of them a while longer. I have no argument that most of those in Nechells needed clearing. Lyn I can't speak for Newtown as I never lived there.

But some of the old Georgian houses on Ashted Row and Great Brook St could have been saved. I worked on the flats that replaced Ashted Row when I was 18 and they are gone now.

I don't think anything they constructed in Nechells in the 60's is still standing only the 4 original tower blocks which I think are now listed. They certainly messed up big time with the Planning in the 60's.

Phil

totally agree with all you say phil... its a crying shame..now take for instance where i lived in villa st(demolished) just off nursery road..the houses that were on the one side of nursery road were wiped out and they were by no means slums....they rebuilt and now those are coming down....the roads that lead off nursery road on the other side ie..church st..angelsey..burbury..carpenters road were spared and the houses there are about 150 years old i would say...also the sally army building is still there and the union and gunmakers pubs and also a line of about 6 shops in nursery road are still there.. so i count myself very lucky that really there is still a lot left of my childhood down the old end and i go down quite often to have a look around and just walk the streets i used to play in...

ps i cant get over 4 tower blocks being listed...whatever next....and i am stearing away from the area now so i shall shut up..lol

lyn

phil..i forgot to say that lessons are still not being learnt are they....right im off now before i get hit with an off topic placard.....

lyn

Hi i am looking for a photo of Ashed Row, near a sauce factory, also a picture of New John Street, Aston, please, my friends family
had a factory there Sterenbergs Glass Factory,i wonder if anybody has any idea where i might find one

Do you mean Stevenbergs at nos 62& 63? That is how it is listed in kellys. it was next to the St andrews mission room , if that is any help in finging a photo.
mike

Do you mean Stevenbergs at nos 62& 63? That is how it is listed in kellys. it was next to the St andrews mission room , if that is any help in finging a photo.
mike
Thank you i will check with her,how do i find the list thank you

Hi Elizabeth

If you type Holbrook's into the search box I'm sure it will return lots of information on the sauce and vinegar factory at the junction of Dartmouth St & Lawley St on Ashted Row as that was it's name. In fact there is a wealth of information n this thread if you look back a bit.

In the meantime here are a couple of photos.

Phil

NechellsHolbrooksAshtedRow.jpg
NechellsAshtedRow-DartmouthSt.jpg

Kellys isn't on the web . The relevent area between elkington st and aston rd is below:
here isElkington st​
49 King Frederick, shopkpr
52 Hands Mrs. Fanny,shpkpr
57 Southern Mrs. Charlotte,
shopkeeper
62 & 63 Stevenberg Henry,
glass manufacturer​
ST. ANDREW'S MISSION
ROOM​
67 Day Brothers, hauliers
78 Rowlands Philip, baker​
88 New inn, Mrs.EmmaDrake

Kellys isn't on the web . The relevent area between elkington st and aston rd is below:
here isElkington st​
49 King Frederick, shopkpr
52 Hands Mrs. Fanny,shpkpr
57 Southern Mrs. Charlotte,
shopkeeper
62 & 63 Stevenberg Henry,
glass manufacturer​
ST. ANDREW'S MISSION
ROOM​
67 Day Brothers, hauliers
78 Rowlands Philip, baker​
88 New inn, Mrs.EmmaDrake
definitely Sterenberg, they were glass blowers,62, New John Street,Aston. what you think mike

It definitely says Stevenberg in the directory, both the street and name section, but it wouldn't surprise me that they put it in wrong. Sometimes I've seen a different spelling in the street and th ename section, and in this case an r written quickly could very easily look like a v. It is only mentioned in 0ne directory I have, in 1921. In 1915 it was Parsons 7 wood, glassmakers, and in 1932 it was something completely different.
Mike

Back