• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Rupert

I see what you mean now, I thought you meant one of the buildings in Great Brook St. Yes I agree with you the house opposite the end of Great Brook St was Vauxhall House.

Ashted Row and Great Brook St came to a very tight junction at that point. In fact just at the back of the PN photo would have been my 4th photo at the end of Ashted Row Dr Tighe's house.

Phil

Thanks Phill, the pictures are all great of course but I like to try and put it all together. Just behind that little arched gate would have been a curved drive way to the old Manor and on the right of the driveway would have been a bowling green. Promenades would have been there, stretching on down to your houses on Inkerman and Dollman and also to the left at the bottom Alma Crescent. All of this was to be the future of course and by then there would be nothing left of this at all. I believe that Erskine is on the right of the sketch and it must have forded the Rea and later before that point it was to go under the railway branch which would probably have cut the gardens in half because I seem to have read that the gardens went down to the Rea whose banks were heavily tree lined.

rupert and phil.. ive found a couple more pics of vauxhall road. would you like me to post them...hoping they have not be on here before..

lyn

Lyn

Brilliant photo's, two of them I have never seen before, and there are not many of Nechells I say that about. Have you any idea to their location. I would guess at the one being the corner of Erskine St. The other one other than being on the north side of the road I wouldn't like to say. It could be somewhere around where Vauxhall Gardens School is now.

I think they are a little before my time, or I was a little too young to remember. So I'll leave it to some one else to locate them.

Phil

quite right phil..pic 2 is on the corner of erskine st and the other just says vauxhall road.. both cira 1950...glad a couple of them are of interest to you....

lyn

Looking at the unidentified photo from vauxhall road and the c 1910 map (most of the street below), it seems as if the only place for the photographer was at the position of the red arrow looking down the alley towards New Terrace (at an angle). the corner of northumberland st can be seen in the foreground. I think the houses between where the alley ran were 102 and 104
Mike

If #2 is Erskine Street then I think you can just make out Spooner St. just past the light coloured car.
The houses on Vauxhall Grove had long front gardens and seemed to be from an earlier period. I think strongly that they were the ones that you can see the backs of on the Gardens sketch. Before the Erskine St houses were built. They still maintained their long front gardens on the 1910 map above. Any chance of seeing a bit more of the 1910 map up to the right Mikejee

great!

My pleasure Rupert. the upper part is on a diffferent sheet and shownn below. It is dated 1902-11, so is slightly earlier in parts to the lower part
mike

From the position of 205 (the Working Boys Home) on Mike's map it appears that the photo was taken from Great Brook St and not Ashted Row as I previously had thought. As I said it was a very narrow junction.

It appears that at one time the Working Boys Home shared space with the Public Assistance Board. Now as my mother existed on that as her sole income for a while, you would have thought I would remember that. Perhaps it was before our time in Nechells.

Rupert the General Federation of Trade Unions was a little further down Vauxhall Rd towards Erskine St at 185. These was obviously premises with a union background and probably housed the Union you mentioned.

Phil

Super. Vauxhall Grove looks like it might have been a swell place at one time. Would these houses have dissappeared by our time.

Hi Rupert

The road that the photo was taken from must have been Ashted Row as it was on a slightly offset T junction.The house itself would have been just above Newdegate St going to-wards Erskine St. I think one of its last uses during the 50's was A Working Boys Home. I suppose today it might be called a hostel or would it have been an institution of some sort?

Phil

phil i think the road it was taken from is gt brook st (now revesby walk) right by our old house

Please can anyone help me out with the location of Duddeston Row. My Grandparents , Joseph and Ellen Spencer lived at number 51 in 1901.It says that he was Bookbinder and she worked from home as a milk shopkeeper ? Was there a line of shops there ? Would love a map or a picture , please .

Thanks , Isobel

Hello Isobel

Duddeston Row is a name I have not heard for a long time. Has your family got an Italian background because Duddeston Row was at the heart of the Italian community in the times you mention.

It was situated between Masshouse Lane and Curzon St. See the centre of the map. If you walked to town from Nechells as I did many times, you would walk along Curzon St, Duddeston Row and down Park St to the lower end of the Bull Ring.

The photo is a bit later than 1901 but it gives some idea of the types of shops.

Phil

Attachments

• Birmingham Street Plan 1885 (1).jpg
    Birmingham Street Plan 1885 (1).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 18
  • Vauxhall Fox St off Duddeston Row 1949.jpg
    Vauxhall Fox St off Duddeston Row 1949.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 23
Back