• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

PHIL. Also I hope you had a nice Christmas, we just got back from North Wales today. I was answering an IM and could only find a reference on an old A to Z map but nothing in Kelly's 1904 which seemed a bit strange.

Phil. the photo reposted by Astoness, It was outside my Grandmothers house and the problem with the coat was I could never get the right button in the correct button hole and never knew until I found I had one button and no hole to put it in. I try to wear zip coats these days.
I

With regard to Brick Kiln lane, it is not mentioned in either the 1904 or 1908 Kellys. It does appear in the initial list of streets in the beginning of the 1912 volume, but is called Brick kiln street. It is not listed in the itemised street directory. It was probably not there in 1904 and 1908. The reason for not appearing in the main directory for 1912 and after may be because there was nothing with that address. The alan godfrey map dated 1913 for the area (but described on map as 1917 edition) shows one side completely taken up by the Perryian Pen Co, and the other side is entirely empty. On checking to when it changed to Lane, I found that it never appeared to have any properties listed in it, and was only listed in the main street directory from sometime about 1964 and 1969. It was then still named a street, and after 1969 it disappeared entirely.
mike

That's interesting, Rupert. I didn't look at the 1890 map, as I thought it was too early . As you can see , it looks as if between 1890 and 1913 or so, a strip of land about 1 house wide was formed to the south of the road, and some buildings must have been demolished. In fact, on looking at earlier kellys, the street is mentioned. In 1890 the following are listed:

Brickkiln
street, 30 Lancaster st.

8 Alley John, shopkeeper
White Horse, John Donnelly

35 Tabberer George, brush manufacturer

In fact brickkiln street is listed with some occupants from at least 1862 till 1896, and then disappears as previously described

mike

Whilst we're in this neck of the woods, has anyone got a photograph of the old Perry Pens building at 36 Lancaster Street please? I well remember it as at least eight of my relatives worked there, including both of my parents. I've got a number of line drawings and I think someone posted a picture of a bus which just caught the corner of the building in the background, but I haven't been able locate a photograph on the internet.

No doubt there is one amongst the Perry Archives in Manchester, but that is a little far for me to travel!

Regards,

Maurice

sospiri

I have been looking through my photo's, and as yet have failed to come up with a photo. If you can just put me right on the location of Perry Pens then I will continue looking.

Was the factory and premises located between where Halford's used to stand and the Turks Head public house. If you can confirm this, I will at least know I am on the right track.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for looking. If you look at mikejee's posting - number 1029 in this thread - it is shown as Perrylan Works on that map - the big shaded area in the upper half of the map. The side door through wich my late father despatched packing cases full of pen nibs many years ago was actually in Brick Kiln Street.

There are numerous line drawings on the internet which were actually used as decoration on the boxes of nibs, craft knives, staples and other items that they manufactured. I hope that helps.

Regards,

Maurice

HI PHIL
PERRYLAN WORKS WAS BETWEEN LAWSON ST ( TURKS HEAD) PUB ON CORNER & BRICK KILN ST, IT WAS SITED WHERE THE COUNTY COUNCIL
OFFICES ARE NOW, ( THE HALFORD COMPANY REBUILT THERE, AFTER
THE OLD HALFORDS WAS BURNT TO THE GROUND IN THE 50s ? )
LENCH ST WAS DIRECTLEY OPPERSITE BICK KILN ST ,
I HOPE THIS HELPS TERRY WARD

Hi phil,
the address given for the perryyan works was lancaster st
& gives three companys
perry & co
a sommerville & co
sir josiah mason
all steel pem manufactures on the same site?
As in the 1941 kellys dir i hope this helps alittle more , t ward

hi folks... taking a chance that this pic has not already been posted...

vauxhall road.

astoness.

Lyn

The subject of your photo is Vauxhall house, which stood at 205 Vauxhall Rd until the early sixties, When it disappeared along with many other fine and elegant Georgian and Victorian buildings.

Whilst I would never dispute that the slum buildings needed clearing, something should have been done to preserve those that didn't. Those that weren't demolished were just abandoned to fall down in their own time.

The photo's of houses that once stood in Nechells that I am posting, if renovated today could only enhance any area.

Phil

Photo's attached.

1. Another one of Vauxhall House.
2. Ashted House built in 1790
3. Nechells Manor Nr Chattaway St
4. Local Doctors House Ashted Row
5. Local Doctors House Ashted Row

Please run mouse over each photo for title.

Attachments

• 1 Vauxall Vauhall House Vauxhall Rd.jpg
    1 Vauxall Vauhall House Vauxhall Rd.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2 Nechells Ashted House  built 1790.jpg
    2 Nechells Ashted House built 1790.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 3 Nechells Nechells Manor House Chattaway St By Cook St.jpg
    3 Nechells Nechells Manor House Chattaway St By Cook St.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 4 Nechells Ashted Row Dr Tigh's House.jpg
    4 Nechells Ashted Row Dr Tigh's House.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 5 Nechells Ashted Row 1 (2).jpg
    5 Nechells Ashted Row 1 (2).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 20
Hi Rupert

The road that the photo was taken from must have been Ashted Row as it was on a slightly offset T junction.The house itself would have been just above Newdegate St going to-wards Erskine St. I think one of its last uses during the 50's was A Working Boys Home. I suppose today it might be called a hostel or would it have been an institution of some sort?

Phil

Phil, that house stood right at the end of Great Brook Street on the opposite side of Vauxhall Road. It was the location of the Aston Union offices 1890 and might have been the same building but am not sure. Look at the Phylis Nicklin photo of Great Brook Street and you will see what I mean.
In that location it would have been pretty much where the gate to the old Vauxhall gardens would have been in the early 19th century. I am posting some pictures that have been on here before for those who are interested if any to compare.

I believe Vaxhall house was located right where the gate (lower left) in the picture is and the road to the right of the picture is the early Erskine Street. The houses seen on the extreeme right would be the backs of the old houses on Vauxhall Grove and this picture would have been made before the houses fronting on Erskine Street were built. The left of the picture would have been where Newdegate street would be. In the distance would have been the Rea...possibly tree lined at this time. So I think the picture is as good as possible for a pencilled sketch and having nothing there high enough to see that view from. The Gardens gate was said to have been right at the end of Great Brook Street and the Nicklin picture is that spot at the junction with Vauxhall Road and if that picture went a little more to the right you would see Vauxhall house.

link to map https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10094&ox=4675&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=632&y=421

Possibly you guys know all of this though.

Nice pics, Phil. Ashted House and the Manor House were particularly imposing and well worth restoration. Nothing short of cultural vandalism to let them go.

phil....thank you for the great pics...and once again i agree with your sentiments 110% ..it really get me back up......as you know aston..hockley and newtown is my stamping ground but like so many of us i do not show a preferance when it comes to our history and heritage in any part of birmingham being so unnessesarily turned into a pile of rubble... only to be replaced by another pile of rubble....

lyn

Sospiri

Yes it is a shame, even more a cultural crime, with the smallest of effort those houses could have been saved. Especially those on Ashterd Row, the same road layout and building lines exist today. I'm sure people would be queuing up to purchase that type of house today. I'm not sure if we have any left in today's Birmingham. By the way, I'm still looking for Perry Pens for you.

Rupert

I knew Ashted Row and Great Brook St well. none of those photo's in my previous post were on Great Brook St. I remember them all except Nechells Manor, I cant claim I have any memory of that. The last photo with the title Ashted Row is actually the end house in a row in Ashted Row. Those row of houses backed on to Great Brook St and were of the same type and built at the same time as Ashted Row.

I walked past these houses every day on the way to school, funnily enough the thing I remember most is that opposite those houses with the Willis St road sign on the other side of the street someone kept a Baboon chained up in the back yard. we used to stop and peek through the gate when going to and from school.

Phil

Take a look at your photo of Vauxhall House and zoom in on the Phylis Nicklin photo. The buildings at the end of the street on Vauxhall Road are the same ones and even the poster is there and the lamp post. I believe I am correct and about the drawing too. If this is in fact the case then in the early 18th century we would be looking at the beautiful stand of trees that Pye mentions in his travel guide from that time, from where his horse drawn coach turned right and went on to Coleshill via Ward End.

Back