• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gordon Hall Working Boy's Home.

GER22VAN

master brummie
Could anyone post a photograph of Gordon Hall working boy's home please ? or any other information about it please.
High Street, Deritend.

This is from another post. (Replacement.)

Attachments

• Gordon%20Hall_high st deritend.jpg
    Gordon%20Hall_high st deritend.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone add to these posts? I think the last word on the board is SCHOOL, is there other information on this poor quality photograph ? Is there a Kelly's list for 1914 ? Could these photographs be dated ?
The Kelly's list I have posted is 1904, Thank you for any help.

i would agree that the last word on theboard looks like "School", but can't get it any clearer. As far as Kellys is concerned, below is the 1913 listing
mike

Gordon_boys_home_high_st_deritend_kellys_1913.jpg

Mike, Could I ask you if it has St John's Church and Pillar Box ? I was puzzled by the shop front not listed on Kelly's and a shoe maker's sign on the wall when I feel it was listed as the other side of St John's Church. It just seems a bit of a puzzle when I am saying it seems to fit as the Working Boy's Home.

Yes , but it calls it ST.JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH, then PILLAR BOX. the c 1910 map show pillar box in that position also, an buildings around it

St_johns_church_c_1910.jpg

List of residents of Gordon Hall Boys Home,Deritend 1911
William Butter age 48 (Superintendant) B'ham
Mary Ann Butter age 43(wife,married 19 years) Walsall
Inmates
William Shaw age 17 Printer (machinist) B'ham
Alfred Whitehouse age 17 Copper Stamper, B'ham
Weir Luke age 17 Brass Polisher,B'ham
Ernest Whitehouse age 13 at school,B'ham
John Henry Highfield age 14 Warehouse boy,Nottingham
Albert Edward Callahan aged 17 Brass Polisher,B'ham
Percy Crowson age 17 Electro Plate Stamper,Sutton,Staffs
Herbert Evans age 13 at school,B'ham
Richard Nicolas age 17 Warehouse Porter,B'ham
Arnold Pittaway age 17 Gas Fitter,B'ham
Ernest Albert Woodward age 14 Errand Boy,B'ham
Arthur Roberts age 16 Brass Worker,Camberwell,London
James Falconer aged 17 Leather Worker,Dublin,Ireland
Albert West age 13 at school,B'ham
Edward Goody age 17 Brass Polisher,B'ham
Arthur Clayton age 13 at school,B'ham
John Ball age 15 Brass Polisher,Camberwell,London
James Kine age 13 at school,B'ham
Henry Richard Wade age 17 porter in basket trade,B'ham
Frederick William Wells age 13 at school,B'ham
Alfred Henry Payne age 16 Brass Polisher,B'ham
Elliot Tuckwell age 15 Errand Boy,Swinbourne,Wilts
George Shakespeare age 12 at school,B'ham
Victor Riley age 14 Errand boy,Camberwell,London
Leonard J Goldsbury age 16 Basket Worker,B'ham
Albert William Mann age 14 out of work,B'ham
Albert Edward Bennett age 15 Errand Boy,B'ham
Frederick Wall(?) age 16 Milk trade Cradley Heath
14 rooms,and 30 persons on premises

Mike and Linda Thank you both for your replies. I can only imagine that some buildings had disappeared between the 1904 Kelly's listings and the 1913 Kelly's Listings in this area.

On my 1904 Kelly's I have 18 - 19 - 20 as Gordon Hall then at 23 Lees Albert, " COOPER" so I guess 21 and 22 is the large building marked NEW INN which had since disappeared before 1904.

The building of Albert Lees,cooper still, exists in Cannon hill Park (it hasn't caught fire yet has it?) as the far end of The Golden Lion., which, towards the end of its life in High St was split into different establshments. I have a picture from the forum which seems to have been lost on the forum , which shows the identity of the two buildings.
The Home appears between 1884 and 1888 . No 22 is listed as The Nelson from 1845- 1897, and I can find no record of it as The New Inn, so the sign must say Nelson Inn
Mike

According to Joseph McKenna the Nelson inn , sometimes The Nelsons Head or the Lord Nelson, was demolished 1890 for road widening
Mike

Mike You Are Great !! I can see your point . Thank you for putting me right as I only assumed it was NEW with part of that sign missing.
After what you have told me I think I may be taking a trip around Cannon Hill park this year.

Still can't find the earlier picture of the golden lion. It must have got lost in the revamp. Here it is again. You can see how the right of this picture is almost identical to the left of the other one
mike

golden_lion_deritend.jpg

Back