• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gopsal Street

K

Kandor

I swear I'm not making this up, my friend Derek used to live in Belmont Row and I remember him clearly showing me the address, Forty one and a half, Gopsal St.
I mean, where did THAT come from?
Anyone else remember it?

I think this was quite usual in times gone by? I was looking at an old book on Warwickshire in the library the other week which reffered to this practice, But I forget why the reference was made? I'll have a look next week when I'm back at work.... I do know that occasionaly a large property might be demolished and 3 or 4 new properties put in it's place, this then usually meant numbers and letters, but sometimes they used fractions.

I'm not very well educated at all Kandor :wink:

Kandor, how well do you remember Belmont Row? Do you remember the Civil Defence Depot?

Civil Defence

Hi Rod,

Yes I do remember the civil Defence place, it was just on the right hand side, halfway up.
It backed on to the canal, right opposite there is a Taxi business which still operates today.
In fact, from 'Malcom Microponents' (which has been there since the 60's)
You could compare photographs from the 50's right up to this present day..
Not much has changed....just ownerships..even the big offices at the top are still there, and just across the road is The Black Horse' now part of the University Drinking ring I should imagine...ahh the Pubs I loved around there,
The Black Horse, Pot 'o' Beer, The Union Mill, Sacks of Potatoes,
Crawled out of everyone of them in my time.

And NOT well educated Rod? lol...then how come you're the only guy who understood what it means? :wink:

Doesn't seem to be a recent Gopsal Street thread, but found this 16 years old one.

A modern photo taken today in 2020 of Gopsal Street. Now part of the Birmingham City University Eastside Campus.

To the left is The Joseph Priestley Building at 6 Cardigan Street. To the right is the Curzon Building. The University Locks student accommodation is to the end of the street.

Never heard of this street before even though frequently drank in the Pot o Beer. Thought thread title was a typo ! Viv.

First went down there with my old camera back in 2010 when it was all demolished wasteland. And only Moby Dicks was there (boarded up).

By 2018 it was restored and reopened as the Eagle & Ball for Birmingham City University Students Union. Corner of Penn Street.

There is still plots of land to be built on.

That’s a very nice renovation. Look at the work that’s gone into replacing the windows on the Gopsal Street side. Good to see this sort of attention to detail. Viv.

That’s a very nice renovation. Look at the work that’s gone into replacing the windows on the Gopsal Street side. Good to see this sort of attention to detail. Viv.
Just found this picture. The Eagle and Ball. I am so pleased. We had Christmas parties upstairs. All the children of the regulars were invited. Lived in Gopsal Street until I was seventeen. So many happy memories.
Kandor wasn’t making it up either when he said there was a house number 41 and a half. Think the Carvers lived there. Remember the civil defence too. We used to go and watch them practise!!

most annoying...i have checked all my folders and i dont have one photo of this street before demo...if anyone can help that would be great

lyn

Back