• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Google Chrome

carolina

master brummie
I have over the last week had 'unresponsive pages' kill or wait on my screen not only on the Forum but other places as well. Any ideas please how I can overcome this. Many thanks.

Try all the usual housekeeping, i.e. delete anything you don't need on computer, run disc cleanup, defrag files, check for viruses. This may help but the message really indicates computer is busy.

Broadband speed should be ok as we have just had it all updated in Stourport. I clicked on google how to find out what was wrong and it was telling me to (eventually) under advanced settings unclick use hardware acceleration when available. Then reset browser settings, but it then says it reverts to original, which means I lose pins etc.

Hi Carolina - I use Chrome mainly because it suits me but I have also got IE11 in my laptop and have both running at the moment as a test and I'm logged into the forum on both of them. If you get a problem with Chrome minimise it and run IE and see if you get the same problems. It is easy to export all your bookmarks from Chrome to IE and vice versa. If you do get the same problems with both browsers then something else is the problem. Have your problems started since your broadband was updated ?

It is also woth checking for conflicts in Crome. You can do this by entering chrome://conflicts into the address bar in chrome. It should say;

[h=1]Modules loaded into Google Chrome[/h]
This page lists all modules loaded into the main process and modules registered to load at a later point.
Modules (167) - No conflicts detected

Oldmohawk I already have IE11 installed (didnt realise until I videod the IE11 info). So I will go and try through that route and see if anything happens. Tony I will also try what you said as its good to know whats going on. Carol

All websites send cookies and 99.9% of the time I accept them with the required click on the 'accept' or 'agree' or 'got it' buttons but get slightly annoyed about all the necessary clicks.

I'm presently trying a Chrome Extension named 'I Don't Care About Cookies' ...

I like it so far and can switch it on and off.

tryd it once on a laptop. soon uninstalled it and put firefox.on never had any prob with that all the years i have used it.

Using Operas built in ad blocker and Ghostery means most things are only permitted by my choice. I have ISP mail addresses and the customary Microsoft one (msn.com) for Skype. A G Mail is solely for You Tube and a family member. My sensitive and important mail addresses are in Switzerland. The only one I get Spam with is GMail.

Last edited:
My main email is on my own domain, which has never gone down yet, but I have a reserve on Gmail and a dump email on Hotmail for when I am unsure of someone requesting my email address. I use Ad-Block on Firefox and not much gets past that.

Maurice

I use Gmail with two accounts and rarely get spam. I have the ISP email and the basic Microsoft Outlook email but rarely use them. I forward from all these email accounts to my iCloud email which is where I read emails. I never send from my iCloud email.

I use Chrome and Edge browsers with Ghostery on both of them.

Back