• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Goode William Henry b.1865

Re: William Henry Goode b.1865

William Henry Goode - growing marrows!

WilliamGoode.jpg
You are right Steve that pic is of Henry at the bottom of the garden facing the house with creeper & a Lilac tree behind him, you can see above him the chimney, some of the roof and window of The New Inn pub which was behind the houses in Charles Edward Rd. Len.

Last edited:

Len, again, I believe this was taken towards the back of 1 Charles Edward Road. The child is unknown but there is every chance it is the daughter of the missing Henry Edward Coleman Goode.

unknownchilspossHECGoodesDAUGHTER.jpg
Do you think Henry & Fanny would have had the missing sons children to visit them when Henry Edward Coleman Goode and family were not even on the newspaper death annoucement. Len.

And how often do we see this......the same year, 1949

FannyGoode1949.jpg

WilliamGoode1949.jpg
I was still doing N/S in the Royal Artillery when Mrs.Goode died & had been demobbed 2 months when Mr.Goode died so i may have been at his funeral, but don`t recall it. Len.

Hi Steve, I think the little girl has the look of Henry Brown could she be one of Ellen & Henry`s children?. Len.

Last edited:

Hi Len,

I think you mean Henry Brown, my grandfather who married Ellen, although that wouldn't be possible as they only had one child, my father. Mabel never had children and was never married so that leaves just Henry Edward Coleman Goode.....the missing sibling to Ellen and Mabel.

When his death certificate turns up I'm hoping that it will shed some light on the whole thing.

Do you think Henry & Fanny would have had the missing sons children to visit them when Henry Edward Coleman Goode and family were not even on the newspaper death annoucement. Len.

The thing is Len that, and this will get confusing, my grandfather was called Henry Brown but always referred to as 'Harry' Brown.....a nickname if you like.

From that you can gather that the newspaper announcement could equally relate to either Henry Brown or Henry Goode. It's my belief that it was their son, Henry Goode who was referred to in the announcement as 'Harry', but I could be wrong.

Whether it was the 'norm' to call any Henry of the day 'Harry' is unknown to me but perhaps others on the forum could comment?

Steve

Steve, It is normal to use Harry for Henry even now. Len.

That's what I thought Len so you can see the confusion when you have two Henry's.

The death announcement could be referring to either of them but I'm sticking with my theory that it was from their son and not their son-in-law.
:rolleyes:

Steve, I did not read the the death annoucement properly missing Harry`s name in it must be the Son, i have asked my Sister Kathleen if she rembered a Son at No1, she said no, it is her 97th Birthday on Monday 20/09/2010. Len.

Steve, At Christmas time we would be invited round to No1, there would be homemade mince pies & Christmas Cake, wine, beer for those old enough and lemonade for the young ones, when it was time to leave we left through the front room which had many tables which i presume were antique, on them were stuffed birds and small animals covered by glass globes also busts of famous people, you had to be very careful that you did not knock any thing over this was the only time we used the front door, i think these items would have been very valuable. Len.

This is all so surreal Len. I made contact with a 'John Goode', a family member whose ancestors emigrated to Australia and am in regular contact with him. I've tried to get him on this forum but for whatever reason his computer freezes every time he tries. It's a real shame as I'd like at least one other family member to witness you recollections Len.
Are you okay with me summarizing these memories and including them on my family tree Len?

As for the antiques, like Henry Goode, they went missing.....maybe with him, but I've never seen anything that you've described and I'm sure that if Ellen had received them I would have seen them at Henry Brown's bungalow in Sheldon.....not the sort of thing that a young lad would potentially forget.

I still haven't yet received the death certificate for Henry Goode but I'll report anything when I do.

Love the memories Len ;)

Steve

This is all so surreal Len. I made contact with a 'John Goode', a family member whose ancestors emigrated to Australia and am in regular contact with him. I've tried to get him on this forum but for whatever reason his computer freezes every time he tries. It's a real shame as I'd like at least one other family member to witness you recollections Len.
Are you okay with me summarizing these memories and including them on my family tree Len?

As for the antiques, like Henry Goode, they went missing.....maybe with him, but I've never seen anything that you've described and I'm sure that if Ellen had received them I would have seen them at Henry Brown's bungalow in Sheldon.....not the sort of thing that a young lad would potentially forget.

I still haven't yet received the death certificate for Henry Goode but I'll report anything when I do.

Love the memories Len ;)

Steve
Hi Steve, Any of my memories you want to use in your family tree feel free to use, re the antiques i don`t know when Mabel aka May died but i would have thought she would inherited them, did she go and live with your G/Parents?, hope you don`t my asking but was No1 owned by Henry & Fanny (it seems wrong for me not to call them Mr & Mrs. Goode) or rented?. Len.

i don`t know when Mabel aka May died but i would have thought she would inherited them, did she go and live with your G/Parents?

Hi Len, May lived as a spinster on Mackadown Lane in Sheldon (opposite where Car Select is now) in a prefab bungalow until she died. As I mentioned before, May used to baby sit me when my parents went out and teach me how to play dominoes.... The prefabs have long since gone.

was No1 owned by Henry & Fanny (it seems wrong for me not to call them Mr & Mrs. Goode) or rented?.

It was William & Fanny Len, but I have no idea if it was rented or owned but with William building a large shed in the garden I think the chances are that it was owned.

Steve

Okay, I now have some definitive information gleaned from the death certificate of H E C Goode although I could do with some opinions from those with a sharp eye of the particular era of a wedding at St. Giles Church in Sheldon.

If one had to hazard a guess, would this wedding be in 1917 or 1949?

Image2-1.jpg

goodewedding1.jpg

Hi
Not being an expert but I would say rather more 1917 than 1949?

Suzanne

Hi stv1x, The man wearing the Top Hat with the Bride in the first pic is not the Bridegroom with his Bride after tying the knot in the 2nd pic in my opinion. Len.

Hi
Not being an expert but I would say rather more 1917 than 1949?

Suzanne
I agree with you Suzanne, 1949 we were still rationed and hard times carried on from WW2. Len.

Thanks everyone. That has now confirmed that the above picture is that of the previously missing Henry Edward Coleman Good and his new wife Ada Eaves. Henry was 30 years old at the time of this wedding. The gentleman in the top-hat could be William Goode but I'm more inclined to think that it's the father of the bride, a certain Thomas Eades. Ada died in 1975 at the good age of 98 years.

A question for you Len; Did you ever know a family with the surname of 'Weaver'?

Fanny Goode kept a diary full of names and dates and the Weaver family appears regularly in it although I have yet to come across this family thus far in my ancestry research.

Thanks Suzanne. I have found him but have yet to unravel why he was not involved with being an uncle to my father or indeed known or spoken about beyond his mid twenties. It's obvious now that he did retain a degree of contact with his parents, William and Fanny Goode, but contact with his two sisters, and in particular with my grandmother Ellen, was non existent. I'm under no illusion that I will ever discover the reasons but, and more importantly, I now have potentially living cousins that I would very much like to contact.

.....the search continues ;)

Thanks everyone. That has now confirmed that the above picture is that of the previously missing Henry Edward Coleman Good and his new wife Ada Eaves. Henry was 30 years old at the time of this wedding. The gentleman in the top-hat could be William Goode but I'm more inclined to think that it's the father of the bride, a certain Thomas Eades. Ada died in 1975 at the good age of 98 years.

A question for you Len; Did you ever know a family with the surname of 'Weaver'?

Fanny Goode kept a diary full of names and dates and the Weaver family appears regularly in it although I have yet to come across this family thus far in my ancestry research.
stv1x, The man wearing the Top Hat is not Henry Goode, to tall and not smartly dressed enough, will think about the Weaver family. Len.

stv1x, The man wearing the Top Hat is not Henry Goode, to tall and not smartly dressed enough, will think about the Weaver family. Len.

I agree Len. At first glance there does appear to be similarities with William Goode, though I'd not considered his attire having never been privileged to meet him. :)

Had the judgement call been that the photos were taken in 1949, and not 1917, then I'd have been inclined to think that it was William's son, Henry (Harry). As it is, with the wedding in 1917 then the gentleman in the first picture is more likely to be that of Thomas Eades the father of the bride, Ada Eades, and that the groom in the second photo is indeed Henry Edward Coleman Goode, aka Harry Goode.

Len, I can only imagine that your Father's pigeons didn't taste too good! :D

Image26a.jpg

Steve

Hi Steve, Taken in the garden of No3 circa 1949, the Anderson Shelter has been dug up and they are standing on the site. No 1 garden is behind them, L-R, my Mom Jessie Emma, sister in law Mary Copsey and Marys Aunt (a lovely Lady) who brought her up from the age 12 when Marys Mom died. Len.

Len, you are an asset to this site. :0214::0214:

For anyone in doubt, and I don't want to make you blush Len, having met you now personally, I can honestly say that, despite you having problems with your left and right :D , you ARE the history Guru of Birmingham!
:)

Good Morning Steve, There is new thread connected to Chas Ed Rd, Mr & Mrs.Neale, lived in No28, they owned the Fish & Chip shop round to the left from Charles Edward Rd on the Coventry Rd towards The Swan pub, your Grt/Grt/Grandparents may have bought Fish & Chips from them as they opened the shop in 1935, if you would like to see thread type in search "look up neale", i knew them well. Len.

Last edited:
Back