• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Goodall's Confectioners & Tobacconist

windigo

proper brummie kid
I've posted this on another forum but thought someone here may be able to help?

Does anyone know whether these shops (or roads, come to that!) still exist please? My gt grandfather, Thomas Goodall, was born in 1856 in Birmingham. 

The census shows the following:

1861 lived with his parents (Thomas & Elizabeth Goodall) at Springfield Street, Lady Wood. Thomas Snr listed as "Confectioner";

1871 with parents at 13(6?) Bakers Shop, Icknield Street, Ladywood - Thomas Snr "Confectionery Shop" - Thomas Jnr  (age 14) listed as "Merchants ......" can't make the last 2 words out!

1881 - 60 Newhall Hill, Lady Wood - listed as "General Dealer in China & Hardware"

1891 - 6 Villa Cross - now listed as "Engine Maker Turner"

1901 - 6 & 8 Villa Cross - "Confection & Tobacconist" - "Own  Account ... At Home" .

I have names and dates and, luckily, some photos, but I'm trying to get an insight into what living conditions would have been like in those days.

Many thanks,

Wendy

Back