• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely, but I do like the advantages of having lived through times of comparative prosperity and just missing WW2. My dad and his generation lived through the depression and the war, my lot all received the advantages gained by the passage of time, and very few of the downside consequences.
I suppose we all look back with rose tinted glasses. I think we've gained a lot in recent times but lost a lot too. At least we can come on here and reminisce, and speaking for myself, find out about a lot of things we didn't know!

Internet only, and they generally play pre 1935 music, and adverts. They are based in Fort Worth, Texas, so the time checks are a bit iffy.

What really appals me is the number of times I know the words of the tunes they play!

Last edited:
John,

Not much on the internet about Van Phillips and I must admit that he is a new name to me. I'll have a look at the Alan Dell video tomorrow. Like you, I don't go much on the vocalist, but the band is OK for the time. Cheers.

Maurice :cool:

T’aint a video, Maurice, steam radio at its best, BBC Radio 2 19.30 hrs each Monday, back in the 70s.

Phillips seemed to have settled in Blighty, and worked until the 50s at least, doing incidental music for BBC Radio plays.

That vocalist always seemed to sound like his dentures were loose!

John,

Words I rarely listen to and never remember. If I can't, due to old age, remember the title of a piece of music, if I've ever played it, I can always remember the key and write down the melody line. I can just about remember the first verse of the national anthem, but not Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem, and when given homework to learn a couple of stanzas of Shakespeare, I could sit with the page in front of me all night and had forgotten it again by morning! That's probably why I failed English Literature two years running - just no interest in the books we had been set. The previous year they had 20th century poetry - I was happier with T.S,. Eliot and Edith Sitwell - Jane, Jane tall as a crane, and all that!

Maurice :cool:

Give me a day or two!

Finally this evening, if I may I shall break the rules about good music to listen to - this is really awful.

Bertini and his Blackpool Tower orchestra, v. Donald Peers!

Well, I did warn you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back