• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not Roger Whittaker version, but this is more like the well-oiled Irish Chap who would give a rendering in the days of the old pub Johanna.

Thanks for that , David. I love Bach, but have only watched a few minutes of it and will save it for late one evening when I can watch it as an entire piece.

Maurice :cool:

Maurice, This is one for you. A concert recorded just over a week ago in St Thomas Church Leipzig. Recorded in complience with German social distancing rules

Enjoy, David

Thank you , David, nice old buildings, a nice organ and you can't beat JSB. However, I've been out all evening with some Norwegian friends , who've just finished their holiday and return to Bergen early in the morning, so I will best appreciate this tomorrow. Many thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Last edited:
I like English pastoral music - Ralph Vaughan Williams, Frederic Delius, and this one by George Butterworth, who sadly was killed in the trenches of the Somme at the age of only 31. Like many, his body was never recovered. An avid collector of folk tunes and folk dances - 450 of them - in his short life, it seems appropriate to quote the 'In Memoriam' written in 1916, a month after his death.......

So thou hast died for England! with thy 'boys'
Around thee. Sad and strange it seems to me
That thou should'st die this death, when peaceful joys,
Creative art, music and song, (for thee
Thy rightful heritage, and proper aim)
Were thine. Thy country called thee! Age to man,
And beast, a faithful friend, to kill and maim
Was alien to thy kindly nature's plan.
'Whom the gods love, die young.' It must have been
Inferno to thy gentle soul! Hell's noise,
Such frightful sounds, and sights, the world's ne'er seen!
But born aloft on Death's soft, sable wing,
Thou hearest, now, the Heavenly Voices sing.

The folk songs are all preserved, written in George's own hand, in the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library and are accessible online. But now the peaceful music, accompanied with genuine shots of the Shropshire countryside.

Good pictures there, Pedro, thanks. I would imagine the place is covered in the hordes of Genghis Knan today - at least it should be a bit cooler up there. Sadly my old pins won't allow be to do that sort of treking now, but you can't beat streams and waterfalls. That's one thing we can't find here in the summer - they just dry up.

Hi Maurice,

If you like the works of George Butterworth, I wonder if you are familiar with
'The banks of green willow', this was one of my mother's favourite tunes. I like
this too, -it is very relaxing to listen to.

Kind regards
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back