• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
lynn i was quite surprised that dad liked it so much and although he had a varied liking to a lot of different music his main passion was country and western...his collection was so vast it took up the one wall of the back room...from the old records..cds and tapes...everything was catalogued..he could put his hand on any song you asked :)

lyn

lynn i was quite surprised that dad liked it so much and although he had a varied liking to a lot of different music his main passion was country and western...his collection was so vast it took up the one wall of the back room...from the old records..cds and tapes...everything was catalogued..he could put his hand on any song you asked :)

lyn
Did you keep all your Dad's collection Lyn? My Dad wasn't as organised as that but I still have some of his tapes. He liked a wide range of music and one of his favourites was Catch the Wind by Donovan. I lost my Dad 33 years ago but I still can't listen to that song without getting upset.
Lynn

i have some lynn..the rest divided by the family when we lost dad in 2014 but i know exactly what you mean as there are many songs that remind me of dad when i hear them...me and mom had a running battle for years over our favourite singer ...she was mad on humperdink and i was barmy on tom jones...still am :D i did take mom a couple of time to see hump i on the other hand i have seen tom more times than ive had hot dinners since the age of 17 lol

lyn

You can put the whole of the Central Park Concert on for me - I never tire of listening to it.

Maurice :cool:

I have wide interests in music with several hundred LPs, audio cassettes and CDs so I have watched many YouTube music. For anyone interested in choral music, I can recommend the 800 year old Boys Choir (800 year old choir not the boys!) from St Thomas's church in our twin city of Leipzig. I have heard the choir live and also attended concerts by the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra but have never seen them together as they are on

Unfortunately I missed them when they were at Symphony Hall some years ago. J S Bach was the cantor at St Thomas's church for 26 years.

Thanks for that , David. I love Bach, but have only watched a few minutes of it and will save it for late one evening when I can watch it as an entire piece.

Maurice :cool:

Arf a mo’

Those of us who grew up in the 60s may recall Jack Jackson’s record programme that, iirc, came on after Saturday Club on the Light Prog. There was much more to JJ than that. He ran a pretty good band in the 30s, resident for several years at the Dorchester Hotel.

If you’re wondering about the top line, listen on.
You might notice that there is a gap between "O fer there" and "R fer mo". My old dad used to say "Silent P as in swimming".

And, next, look out for the Birmingham connection in the video.

Last edited:
about 2.20 into the video a birmingham co op society truck..lovely catchy tune

lyn

I’ve been trying to ration myself on the number of these I do, but this one just popped into my head, and as it’s less than three minutes in length I thought maybe you’d forgive another visit into the ‘30s.

Harry Roy, Minnie, and when she lost it!

It was, as I understand, regarded as very risqué in the 1930s.

I’ve been trying to ration myself on the number of these I do, but this one just popped into my head, and as it’s less than three minutes in length I thought maybe you’d forgive another visit into the ‘30s.

Harry Roy, Minnie, and when she lost it!

brilliant had me in stitches typical play on words concert hall song of its time :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back