• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love all music (not too much classical and certainly not opera) and can enjoy anything from 20s blues to something i heard the other day that has just been released. Music is so personal and appeals to us on lots of different levels. As long as you like it that’s all that matters!!
Lynn.
and me i turn up the volume and rip off the knob.

John,

Re: your post #219, we went to a funeral here of a Brit and stood a good few yards back from the graveside. The hearse drew up and he was interred, and then as we were all getting ready to go, the driver flung open the doors of the hearse and out blasted Gracie Fields singing "Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye". :)

Maurice :cool:

Thanks Pete,

in fact, I am no great lover of “Our Gracie”, but the story about the car was appealing, until I checked it out.

The Bentley, a 1947 Mark VI with an unique two door fixed head coupé body by Freestone and Webb and fitted with a cocktail cabinet and the wind up gramophone was actually owned by a Lancashire textile magnate and the use by Gracie has not been proved. What is worse is that it’s not even a particularly pretty design.

1593871446915.jpeg

This is it, with acknowledgement to Bernard King for the use of his front cover.

Heigh-ho.

Last edited:
love the fortunes....great sounds :) ...this one just sprang to mind had the song in my head but could not think who sang it..in the end i gave up and used google....not very good quality but typical 60s

s
Thanks Pete,

in fact, I am no great lover of “Our Gracie”, but the story about the car was appealing, until I checked it out.

The Bentley, a 1947 Mark VI with a unique two door fixed head coupé body by Freestone and Webb and fitted with a cocktail cabinet and the wind up gramophone was actually owned by a Lancashire textile magnate and the use by Gracie has not been proved. What is worse is that it’s not even a particularly pretty design.

View attachment 146407

This is it, with acknowledgement to Bernard King for the use of his front cover.

Heigh-ho.
she had a rolls as well.

love the fortunes....great sounds :) ...this one just sprang to mind had the song in my head but could not think who sang it..in the end i gave up and used google....not very good quality but typical 60s

kites loverly lyn thanks

Last edited:
this one just sprang to mind had the song in my head but could not think who sang it..in the end i gave up and used google....not very good quality but typical 60s

A better quality version of Kites by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound with a lovely video.

Well I never knew that, originally recorded by the "Rooftop Singers"

Last edited:
Couple of Beatles "B" sides (beautiful ballads written by John) to show what a great band they were.

Song - "This Boy", the "B" side of "I Want to Hold Your Hand"

Song - Yes It Is, the "B" side of "Ticket To Ride"

and me i turn up the volume and rip off the knob.
I would like to get my own back with a wind up gramaphone in the car against the boom boom basses that park outside throbbing away. It vibrates my nervous system and the house windows and we have a long frontage.My mate used to open his patio doors at lunch time so one wall was all open, and blast Maria Callas to the neighbours.

Each is entitled to his own, but it should be kept as his own, and not forcibly shared with other folks.

BTW - I loved “I got yow Bab” best laugh I’ve had for ages, especially the “Bab”, couldn’t be any more Brummy if it tried.

Maybe it’s about time for another British dance band from the 30s, and I’m sure if you don’t like them somebody will tell me to cease and desist. At least the one advantage of a 10” 78 is that it can’t have wasted more than about 3 1/2 minutes of your life.

It’s good ol’ Billy Cotton, but those who recall the gloopy outfit of the 50s/60s tv band shows may be surprised at the way this 1933 recording belts along. Sam Browne on the vocals, apparently, and at least a degree and a half better than Alan Breeze, the band’s longtime vocalist. As for his female vocalists, least said....

Last edited:
Still having to Shield here in Scotland, but should be allowed to get out at the end of July, according to Nicola Sturgeon. Really looking forward to that. Thanks Pete, and keep up with the good music vids. Cheers, Barry.

Still having to Shield here in Scotland, but should be allowed to get out at the end of July, according to Nicola Sturgeon. Really looking forward to that. Thanks Pete, and keep up with the good music vids. Cheers, Barry.
thank you barry,

and me i had a phone call today. telling me although wales is open. I must stay local till august.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back