• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the mention of Beatles tribute bands above I guess many of you have heard of The Rutles.

This group was a "cheap" version of the Beatles (as they came from Rutland) thought up by Eric Idle of Monty Python fame which originally appeared on the BBC TV show Rutland Weekend Television (that Eric Idle produced after Python stopped doing TV shows).

All The Rutles songs were brilliantly written by Neil Innes (of Bozno Dog Band fame, who sadly died recently) and he also did a lot of work with Eric Idle and the Pythons.

Some of the Rutles songs are so like Beatles songs you would think they are ARE Beatles songs (in fact the Beatles lawyers insisted a percentage of the money made from the sale of Rutles albums went to the Beatles as the songs are so similar).

Here is "I must be in love"

Here is "With a girl like you"

And "Hold My Hand"

And "Ouch"

Loads more by The Rutles on YouTube

Last edited:
2 of my favourites from the great cher and bono RIP BONO

Always makes me smile. My old workmate was in Cradley for a speedway meet and he went to a local pub and he said a couple got up and sang "I Got Yow Bab" so we used to sing it in the office to get through the day. Thanks for re
minding me.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Always makes me smile. My old workmate was in Cradley for a speedway meet and he went to a local pub and he said a couple got up and sang "I Got Yow Bab" so we used to sing it in the office to get through the day. Thanks for re
minding me.!
So we used to try and sing songs in Brummy accents. Got told off. Or any accent. Like Walk on By with a German one. Or Send in The Clow -ens in a Dublin accent.

Youtube seems to have perked up its available selection of music of the type I like to listen to, so here’s a suggestion played by my favourite British band:

That’s You, Baby
The Breakaway

Jack Hylton, 1928/9

See what you think!

Hi John,

A wonderful music era, - Maurice Winnick, Jack Payne, Paul Whiteman, the
list goes on, and my personal favourite, Debroy Somers.

Kind regards
Dave
Great sound quality.I like the banjo. A quickstep? Mum and dad would dance to that but she always said she had no toes left. I like the Railway prints. We stay in a B&B with a lot of them on display. I have a few of dad's 78's nothing to play them on. Mum used to sing In a Mountain Greenery, where god paints the scenery just two lonely people together. Two lines then the beat changed then back again. I can remember the end, " Bless our mountain greenery home!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete,

I wouldn't mind a fiver for every time I played that on commercial gigs. The Fortunes are still going, though not with the same personnel.

And this.............

Maurice :cool:
thanks our maurice. i like the fortunes and the fourmost.

Last edited:
WENT INTO MY LOCAL RECORD SHOP AND ASKED IF HE HAD ANYTHING BY "THE DOORS"

THE CHAP SAID "A BUCKET OF SAND AND A FIRE BLANKET":blush::blush:
Our friend advertised a box of stones. Headbanger turned up he thought she was selling Rolling Stones records. She was selling big pebbles.

Thanks for your comment Dave. Most folk think I'm a bit odd when I turn on the ignition and these are the sort of tracks that come out, but Gracie Fields had a wind up gramophone in her Bentley, so why not!
I love all music (not too much classical and certainly not opera) and can enjoy anything from 20s blues to something i heard the other day that has just been released. Music is so personal and appeals to us on lots of different levels. As long as you like it that’s all that matters!!
Lynn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back