• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
This version of Body and Soul by Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse, which I think I prefer, was released after her death. At that time it also made Tony Bennett to oldest person to appear in the American charts.

Each to his own, I have to say I thought that Tony Bennett was struggling a bit, but then again, it's a matter of personal taste and I had listened to both before I posted the 1930 version. There are, of course, many different recordings of this one stretching over many years. You can't keep a good song down.

Well you have to allow for the fact that there was something like 80 years between those two recordings and styles and arrangements have changed such a lot in that time. I agree, John, that Tony Bennett is not at his best on that, and although now in his nineties, the album he did a year or so ago with Diana Krall and others was better, and more sympathetic to his style. But it didn't include that particular song.

I much prefer the versions of Body & Soul in the immediate era done by such as Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Lena Horne and others, and I admit to never having been a fan of Winehouse. Every time she enters the song, she sounds as if she wants to change key although it is well within her range. Having just listened to a lot of versions of this song, I came out in favour of the earlier Sarah Vaughan version below:-

But one of my favourite female vocalists is British, Norma Winstone, who many probably haven't heard of, but she's a favourite of many musicians and her intonation is always spot on. Here she is doing The Heather on the Hill from Brigadoon.

Maurice :cool:

Thanks for posting those Bazz...I’ve never heard of the band but will look them up now!!
Lynn.
Hello Lynn. I bought the first record on the day of release, because they were appearing at our firms night out at the social club. So i just bought it off them. They made some really good music. Especially the "B" side of this one, the words are great. Hope you enjoy listening to them now. Barry.

Hello Lynn. I bought the first record on the day of release, because they were appearing at our firms night out at the social club. So i just bought it off them. They made some really good music. Especially the "B" side of this one, the words are great. Hope you enjoy listening to them now. Barry.

Thanks Bazz, I love discovering new (old!) music! Apparently one of the members was Steve Gibbons from Harborne!!
Sounds like your firm had some good nights out!!

Lynn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back