• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very relaxing, Guilbert53, but he was not alone in having to resort to either teaching music or some other day job. Sadly, many of these composers resort to selling their music for a pittance to background music libraries. If they are lucky, it will be used as incidental music to a TV film, or better, a series and then suddenly the royalties will start to roll in if the public like it.

Maurice :cool:

• Appreciate
Reactions: ade
As we have a user here called Sospiri.................

We should put link to a lovely piece of music from Elgar......called Sospiri

Well thank you, Guilbert53, I seem to recollect that someone else posted a different version of this on another thread - maybe it was Dave89? But you're right, if is a lovely piece of music and Elgar did some terrific scoring for strings, probably because he was also a violinist and no mean one at that.

EDIT: Correction, is was the same version and it was posted by Pedrocut, but one again, thanks to you both!

I'm not willing to let this thread die and I'm sure many of you will enjoy this. For a couple of years or so I have been trying to trace the name of a song that was regularly played on Cretan local radio, and then I came across it included in a Spanish flash mob on YouTube, but still no title. I've sent it to many both here and in the UK and no one could tell me what it was. Tonight I dug it out again, translated the blurb and found that it was performed by a Spanish music school, but still no title. In desperation I put the school's name into Google and that directed me to their Facebook page, but I had to join Facebook to get their email address. So I sent off an email on a Saturday night and had a lovely reply in English from Susana, the school's Director.

The song is from an Italian film of which the English title is Life is beautiful and the song is called Beautiful that way. Here it is in the film:-

and here's same singer duetting the song with Andrea Bocelli:-

It would be remiss of me not to include the School's version at 7:20 on their video. Incidentally, all the songs in their video are from the film:-

There are a few Apps that you can get for mobiles and tablets that recognise music and give the title and band. The one that I have is called Shazam. After about 5 seconds it came up with...

La Vita È Bella, Nicola Piovani

Being a "Mod" in the sixties I adored The Who....

Went to see the Who live twice, but only after they were famous (once in their "Tommy" period)

One of the "perfect" lineups in any band, magical they came together the way they did.

Always loved this song, which seems so adult, even though they were between 19 and 21 at this stage.

And what a GREAT drummer Keith Moon was, drummed like no other drummer before or since

Last edited:
Dave,

Hiromi has always had a ridiculous technique and has been in various piano battles with Chick Coria and Herbie Hancock and come out well. The problem has always been that she lacks feeling in her music and I think that to some extent this is still true. As she is getting older, she's beginning to realise that jazz is not just a shooting contest and she can only get better.

This has always applied to young instrumental geniuses and Joey Alexander is another. In ten or more years time he will start to be worth listening to too.! :)

Nevertheless, she has an amazing technique and is accurate with it - I didn't spot any bum notes! :cool:

Maurice
Kind of like Charlie Parker lots of notes but? We spent a month plus in Japan and the music was in MY mind bland, pleasant to listen to but not foot stomping at all

I have too many passions/interests to squeeze into the hours - hence my site is slow progress! In another life I would have a website devoted to music or cycling. In a previous life I did own a High Street record shop [not many of them left now]. I still try to listen to about 25 CDs per week. So far, this week's playlist has included :

Lila Downs - "Una Sangre" [Mexican singer-songwriter]
Mélanie Pain - "My Name" [French indie-pop singer from Caen]
Diego & The Dissidents - "Contaminated Waters" [Bristol-based avante-garde]
Holton's Opulent Oog - "The Problem of Knowledge" [Folky Psychedelia]
Mariza ‎– "Fado Tradicional" [Portuguese Fado Singer]
Bambi Molesters - "As The Dark Wave Swells" [Croatian Surf-Guitar band]
Amber Arcades - "European Heartbreak" [Dutch singer Annelotte de Graaf and band]

My Father was a concert pianist. we always had a Bluthner grand piano in the front room, I grew up in a classical music family and was real opera buff, I have visited almost all off the famous opera houses Covent garden, LaScala Milan, Caracalla baths in Rome, it was a real treat, to see Aida. with real animals in the 1950 (I understand that they still have opera there). When I stated cycle racing in the late 1940s I use to hum opera as I raced, helped with my rhythm and concentration. I was never much of a improvising Sax player, played the charts. The reason I am in the USA is because I wanted to play in one of the big studio bands there. Never happened of course, competition was fierce, But no regrets still love the classics all of course jazz I still have a very large collection of jazz and opera records a few of my favorites in fact Coltrane's Favorite things top of my list. When I arrived in the USA we wen to the Blackhawk Jazz club in San francisco and even got to attempt to shake hands with Miles he said "Yeh Man" (He was smoking a fag!) and Trane was there also. happtimes39200143_1464978553602176_7144527571177177088_o.jpg

Last edited:
My Father was a concert pianist and we always had a Bluthner grand piano in the front room, I grew up in a classical music family and was real opera buff, I have visited almost all off the famous opera houses Covent garden, LaScala Milan, CalaCal? baths in Rome, was a real treat to see Aida with real animals in the 1950 I understand that they still have opera there. When I stated cycle racing in the late 1940s I use to hum opera as I raced, helped with my rhythm and concentration. I was never much of a improvising Sax player, played the charts. The reason in am in the USA is because I wanted to play in one of the big studio bands there. Never happened of course competition was fierce, But no regrets still love the classics
I wonder how many pianos are still in folks front rooms.:)

Funny about pianos, we have one in the front room, I use tinker around on it, but arthritis and poor sight now not possible, tried to get rid off the piano, no one wants it can't even give it away. Everything now, electronic compact small. You want a piano come get it it yours

Attachments

• IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    723.5 KB · Views: 5
Funny about pianos, we have one in the front room, I use tinker around on it, but arthritis and poor sight now not possible, tried to get rid off the piano, no one wants it can't even give it away. Everything now, electronic compact small. You want a piano come get it it yours
when i was in bham.there was a place called sparkies they collected them.... I tryd to move one once. and twang, something went,and it was not me bracers.:grinning:

Music is such a personal thing. I don`t like jazz unless you call `Stranger on the shore` ( Acker Bilk ) My fav classic is Pachelbel canon in D Major. John Denver for country/folk, & the one & only Elvis singing just about anything, such a handsome talented guy & all us youngsters were so jealous of him. Still play his music most days.
Like wine, art and how much water you put in your whiskey, someone said to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back