• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
First heard Dave Brubeck when I went to Jersey with my wife to be in 1961.Came back home and bought 3 of hi LPs.Good Music

This has nothing to do with "Brum history" but is in regard to all the postings about music today, I arrived in the USA in March 1957 in Wallingford Connecticut USA. I kept a diary for a while. One of the reasons I moved to the USA, was to try my luck? in the music game, So my friend and I, of course, visited all the Jazz clubs we could. In my diary, I wrote in April 1957. We walked into BIRDLAND in New York and heard Gigi Gryce, Monk and Oscar Pettiford. But my point is, nothing beats the real thing in person. Another writing a few months later. Went to SanFrancisco to the Blackhawk Jazz club, got to meet MILES DAVIS, when we tried to introduce ourselves, as English Musicians, he said: "Yeh Man" turned away and walked off and smoked a fag, Guess how we felt after that, would you say shattered???? But he was fantastic as usual

Last edited:
Yes, music is subjective and everyone gets something different from their choice of musical styles. To some it is pleasing entertainment, and to others they want to delve into how it was created. Certain pieces of music have ways of reaching our inner emotions when we don't even know why. It's certainly here to be enjoyed, so, as John says, let's do just that.

Maurice

Maurice.Intriging piece on U tube.Lots of singers at an Airport in Sweden I think singing I Believe I can fly,Try it

Maurice.Intriguing piece on U tube. Lots of singers at an Airport in Sweden I think singing I Believe I can fly,Try it
This?

I'm no fan of the idea of 'flashmobs'. Music is a personal thing and shouldn't be inflicted on the unwilling. In the above video the passenger terminal is virtually brought to a standstill which must have delighted anyone running late. Fortunately it seems to be a fad that has had its moment.

Edifi,

I love those semi-impromptu bashes, quite often involving the local pro orchestra players or chorus. There's lots on there, but they are not very well indexed, and a lot of stuff disappears for no good reason. A few years ago I found a Brazilian amateur rendering of Luis Bonfa's Samba d'Orfeu, but whilst there are dozens of pro versions, none were as good as this one, but it seems to have been taken down.

Maurice

Spargone,

Perhaps an airport was not the ideal venue - most I have seen have been in outdoor squares and sometimes in retail centres, but you'll always manage to upset someone! I don't believe that any of these flashmobs events are done without the permission of the relevant authorities.

Maurice

Pedro,

I listened to four of their tracks because I wasn't familiar with the name. I have to say they are all rather repetitive eight-to-the-bar items and thats where I will very quickly get bored. Individually they are good musicians, but it is to me rather cold and lacking in feeling, except possibily anger. I'm not into slamming piano lids and that sort of thing.

Maurice

Pedro,

I listened to four of their tracks because I wasn't familiar with the name. I have to say they are all rather repetitive eight-to-the-bar items and thats where I will very quickly get bored. Individually they are good musicians, but it is to me rather cold and lacking in feeling, except possibily anger. I'm not into slamming piano lids and that sort of thing.

Maurice

I just came across these chaps in trying to find what “crossover” music was about, via YouTube. I noticed the one track had received 161 million hits! By the way there are from the Church of Later day Saints, I believe the Osmands were also?

161 million is even more hits than the bus location Thread!

Last edited:
Pedro,

Yes, the same religious origin, but you didn't tell us what you thought of it personally. The number of hits is very often "engineered" via links from other sites, and hits is what YouTube is all about .

Maurice

Pedro,

Yes, the same religious origin, but you didn't tell us what you thought of it personally. The number of hits is very often "engineered" via links from other sites, and hits is what YouTube is all about .

Maurice

Maurice, I know very little about music accept whether I like the sound. As for the Piano Guys, like others, I find that I might like one or two on the album. For about the last 20 years I have mainly listened to music from the Portuguese speaking countries, which brings me to the sad death yesterday of João Gilberto RIP.

Pedro,

I agree that Brazilian music is good and listen to it a lot myself. I noticed Gilberto's death too, but from a different source. Sadly they're all popping off, one by one, but aren't we all, but there is still some good stuff out there.

Maurice

As has been pointed out already, this is a history forum. This thread is titled " Good music to listen to on U-tube" there are 12 links which fulfill that criteria, with a few others which are genuine comments on them, from 35 posts

I'm not willing to let this thread die and I'm sure many of you will enjoy this. For a couple of years or so I have been trying to trace the name of a song that was regularly played on Cretan local radio, and then I came across it included in a Spanish flash mob on YouTube, but still no title. I've sent it to many both here and in the UK and no one could tell me what it was. Tonight I dug it out again, translated the blurb and found that it was performed by a Spanish music school, but still no title. In desperation I put the school's name into Google and that directed me to their Facebook page, but I had to join Facebook to get their email address. So I sent off an email on a Saturday night and had a lovely reply in English from Susana, the school's Director.

The song is from an Italian film of which the English title is Life is beautiful and the song is called Beautiful that way. Here it is in the film:-

and here's same singer duetting the song with Andrea Bocelli:-

It would be remiss of me not to include the School's version at 7:20 on their video. Incidentally, all the songs in their video are from the film:-

Maurice :cool:

Everyone has heard of Andrew Lloyd Webber of course, but few know that his father William Lloyd Webber was also a composer.

Sadly much of the music he wrote during his life was not played very much and he spent some of his life teaching music.

Here is a beautiful piece of music he wrote, Romance, at only 4 and a half minutes long.

It would not be out of place in a romantic Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.

So sad that he never got the recognition while he was alive.

This piece almost brings tears to my eyes, I want it played at my funeral !

You can read more about him here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back