• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good classical music on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
We've got a jazz one, a pop one, but not this one, so I thought I would start one. My intention is to keep it listenable, so here goes with one of my favourite & tuneful symphonies, Dvorak's "New World". But I also wanted to showcase one of my favourite orcjhestras, that of the Gimnazija Kranj Symphony Orchestra of Slovenia. All of musicians are, or have been, members of the same college that holds an annual concert at Christmas time, including the conductor. Some are now professionals in European orchestras, but barring such things as pregnancies, endeavour to return each year for the concert. So here goes - Dvorak's "New World" Symphony:-

Maurice :)

“He'd made public comments months earlier that he felt the core of an American sound could be found in Native American communities and African-American spirituals, and it was these sensibilities he'd bring to his new composition.

His comments on his influences for the symphony caused a stir, and discussions by writers and critics about what could be expected continued until the day before the premiere. In an interview with Dvořák, published by The New York Daily Herald, he reiterated that he was influenced and inspired by Native American music and black spirituals when he composed the symphony to be performed the next night.”

Indeed, Pedro, he was just one of the many composers to use folk music as a basis for compositions. Ralph Vaughan Williams, Bartok, Smetana, George Butterworth, & Chopin are just a few of the others that did the same. But it wasn't until 1903 when Cecil Sharp started his vast collection aided by the aforementioned RVW, Butterworth, Percy Grainger, and a few others, that it really got underway in England. From that the English Folk Dance Society and the English Folk Song Society were formed, becoming the English Folk Dance & Song Society in 1912. After the death of Butterwork in WW1 and the death of Sharp in 1924, the work was carried on by Maud Karpeles, who also formed an International version of these societies. Nevertheless, only a few English counties were covered and there must be many songs and dances in other parts that are now lost forever.

Maurice :cool:

The interest for me is that Dvorak used the term “Native American” and “African-American spirituals.”

“His comments on his influences for the symphony caused a stir, and discussions by writers and critics about what could be expected continued until the day before the premiere.”

Pedro,

In an article published in the New York Herald on 15 December 1893, Dvořák further explained how Native American music influenced his symphony:

I have not actually used any of the [Native American] melodies. I have simply written original themes embodying the peculiarities of the Indian music, and, using these themes as subjects, have developed them with all the resources of modern rhythms, counterpoint, and orchestral colour.

All of the above copied from Wiki, but the bold italics are mine. According to that and unlike the other composers that I have mentioned, he hasn't actually used any Native American folk tunes, unlike Gershwin's Porgy & Bess which did. And when Cecil Sharp and Maud Karpeles went to America, it was initially in the belief that English workers, many of them miners, took English folk tunes to Pennysylvania & Virginia, and this was proved to be correct. But no effort was made to go south to collect Afro-American spirituals or folk tunes.

Some have even argued that one of Dvorak's themes came from Stephen Foster. I'm happy to discuss this in private, but I fear we will get our knuckles rapped very soon for diverging from the topic.

Here's change of tack using a Polish dance - Chopin's Polonaise in A flat major. This young lady was the winner of the 2020 Chopin Competition......

Lynn,

Our posts crossed and ironic that we should both pick Chopin. I could happily listen to it for hours.

Great minds think alike Maurice! My knowldege of classical music is a bit limited...I know what I like...but I'm looking forward to discovering more on this new thread, thanks for starting it!
Lynn.

Pete,

I well remember Limelight and Chaplin's music reminded me of another piece at that time and I still haven't made a connection. It may come to me eventually - a bit like other people's No.8 bus mystery!

I generally try to avoid Chinese pianists because while they are technically perfect, they lack emotion in their playing. But this one is the house pianist for Pianist Magazine and not too bad at all. Here we go with Golliwog's Cake Walk from the Children's Corner Suite by Claude Debussy.

Pete,

I well remember Limelight and Chaplin's music reminded me of another piece at that time and I still haven't made a connection. It may come to me eventually - a bit like other people's No.8 bus mystery!

I generally try to avoid Chinese pianists because while they are technically perfect, they lack emotion in their playing. But this one is the house pianist for Pianist Magazine and not too bad at all. Here we go with Golliwog's Cake Walk from the Children's Corner Suite by Claude Debussy.

Maurice, you said a naughty word so go to your room immediately & no supper for you tonight ! ( be careful, the pc brigade are everywhere ) o_O

Smudger,

"Another piece at that time" - Neville Chamberlain? Oliver?

"I still haven't made a connection" - our plumber last week?

"Golliwog's Cake Walk" - Claude Achille Debussy, or John son of James Robertson

"No.8 bus mystery" - oops! too late - and that was why the Bundy Clock was invented! :eek: :scream::cold_sweat::mask:

A.E. Housman wrote a poignant poem about a dead man and his live companion called "Is my team ploughing?". Many composers have set this to music, including George Butterworth and Ralph Vaughan Williams, but the latter cut out two verses. Housman responded "How would you like me to cut two bars out of one of your symphonies?" The Children's Corner Suite comprised six pieces, one of which was the above tune. Debussy might well have responded in a similar manner. Case closed! :)

What a great idea ! I look forward to hearing some more of my favourites, including "Finlandia" and "The Hebrides".

Here's short quiet one with a another Birmingham and a Midland connection. The Birmingham connection is that it is the CBSO conducted by Sir Simon Rattle. The Midland connections are many because it is the 13th Variation from Sir Edward Elgar's Enigma Variations written whilst he was living in Worcestershire. But who is this mysterious number 13? Some say it was Lady Mary Lygon of Madresfield Court on whom he had a bit of a quiet crush, & who had just sailed off to Australia, & who as Lady Mary Trefusis became the first Secretary of the English Folk Dance Society. Others say it was Helen Weaver, to whom Elgar was once engaged, but she broke it off and sailed off to New Zealand, never to be seen again, or at least not by Elgar! :( The painting by the way is "Golding Constable's Kitchen Garden", c. 1815, by John Constable. Enjoy the mystery.

Let's go vocal for a few minutes with Vilja from Franz Lehar's Merry Widow. This is a New York City Opera version.

Christmas is far from over, especially in this part of the world. So here is some seasonal delight from my favourite orchestra, this time with their chorus and soloists, the Gimnazija Kranj Symphony Orchestra of Slovenia. And amongst the interesting facts about these concerts is that concert hall seats 1,500 people and the tickets sell out within just three minutes of ticket sales opening. Enjoy...........

Thanks for that, Harry. I've listened to about ten minutes of it and will finish it off tomorrow. Again, a very pure choir of female voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back