• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good classical music on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's start with the rousing Triumphal March from Aida by Verdi:-

Next we have Khatia Buniatishvili playing Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
And finally, something a little calmer to end the evening, the Andante from the "Emperor" Piano Concerto by Beethoven

Maurice :cool:

A good mix there Maurice, thanks for posting them. The music threads are a bit quiet at the moment. It might be the Lockdown getting to us all...perhaps we should start a new Blues thread!

Last edited:
Well I have selection already prepared for tonight, Lynn, so we'll give it a break after tonight - I'm not short of other things to do :) - so hear goes with another operatic piece........
First, Va piensoro - The Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves from Verdi's Nabucco:-

Next, secondly, from my favourite Italian town, Lucca, the Intermezzo from Mascagni's Cavelleria Rusticana:-

And finally, the late Enni Moricone's music to the film Cinema Paradiso with Roy Tan & Rosemary Siemens. Enjoy:-

Maurice, that is the strangest thing....The Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves was the music we had at my father-in-laws funeral..his favourite piece...

Lynn,

In my humble opinion, Verdi was not in the top half dozen European composers, but he did write a few memorable tunes. But most people can associate a tune with a memorable event, even if it was a sad one. I would certainly be hard pressed to name just one favourite, and if I could name one today, you may get a different answer next week. The most memorable ones at the time are the ones I don't know the names of, the notorious "earworms" as they are called. Once I know the name and the recording & performer(s) they slowly move down my favourites ranking. No longer mysterious.

Then you get the ones that slowly grow on you - Cinema Paradiso was one such tune - and those are generally the melodies that are often the least complicated. But I'll give this thread a break for a week or two, or maybe more. Glad that you and others enjoyed some of my selections.

Thank you for all those that you've posted on here Maurice, some real gems amongst them. And at least i know the names now and not just the tunes!

What did anyone think of the Mozart concert on the box last night. Fantastic doesn’t half describe the orchestra and conductor, if it goes onto BBC Sounds or whatever watch/listen to it.

Last edited:
Glancing through the previous posts I haven't found any mention of our own Albert Ketelby, an English composer, conductor and pianist, best known for his short pieces of light orchestral music. Born in Aston in 1875 his works include 'In a Monastery Garden', 'In a Persian Market' and 'Bells Across the Meadows'. In this recording he is conducting his own orchestra:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back