• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good classical music on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I did give music lessons occasionally, Lynn, I was for many years a modern jazz pianist, who undertook ordinary commercial gigs as and when financially necessary, though I did have a classical background. I played professionally for about five & half years, but when children arrived I needed a bit more of a stable income so reverted to a day job and became semi-pro in music until I finally more or less gave it up in 1980.

Some more peaceful music that has been used in many films and on TV, it's generally known as Albinoni's Adagio in G minor, but was not actually written as you would expect in the 18th Century, but compiled from fragments of his music in the 20th Century by his biographer. Remo Giazotto. Used in the films Gallipoli, Roller Ball and Flashdance, most people will probably remember it from the TV series Butterflies with Wendy Craig and the late Geoffrey Palmer.

A whole work tonight and probably one of the most popular. Here's Georgian-French pianist Khatia Buniatishvili playing Grieg's Piano Concerto, and the second movement just oozes fjords! She's the better known of two sisters, both concert pianists.

Maurice :cool:

Here's a piece that rarely gets played these days along with some beautiful scenary. Its American composer, Ferde Grofé, got tempted away by the film studios for much of his life, and this is the one piece that seems to get recognised today - On the Trail from the Grand Canyon Suite, written in 1931.

Hi Lynn,

Yes, anyone suffering from travel sickness would do well to avoid the rider's shots! More later.

Just a short four minutes tonight of The Swan from Saint-Saens' Carnival of Animals.

Finally, this is another one like the Litolf Scherzo, in that it doesn't get played very often nowadays. It's Christian Sindings' Rustle of Spring and at least the pianist looks happy.

Now for some easy listening for a Sunday evening. First the Overture to Johann Strauss' operetta Die Fledermaus.

Now, if you remember the old black & white comedy The Ladykillers with Alec Guiness, Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom & Jack Warner, you might recall that it centres around a gang of robbers posing as a string quartet & practising in a room in an old lady's house. Of course they can't play and all the old lady hears is this music on a gramophone - Boccherini's
Minuet.

And finally, Strauss' Radetzsky March.

Now for some easy listening for a Sunday evening. First the Overture to Johann Strauss' operetta Die Fledermaus.

Now, if you remember the old black & white comedy The Ladykillers with Alec Guiness, Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom & Jack Warner, you might recall that it centres around a gang of robbers posing as a string quartet & practising in a room in an old lady's house. Of course they can't play and all the old lady hears is this music on a gramophone - Boccherini's
Minuet.

And finally, Strauss' Radetzsky March.

just been waching it our maurice. mrs lopsided:grinning:

Well, here are a few snippets from the original film and the minuet starts at around 3.50 - great film and I bet the U.S. remake was awful, though I've never seen it. You can't beat some of these Ealing studios films.

I was searching YouTube for a march that teachers used to march us into assembly with at College Road Junior School. Not surp[risingly is doesn't exist on there. But here's about the only piece that same composer was remembered for these days - Praeludium by the Finnish composer Armas (Edward) Järnefelt. Ironically the Jack Hylton Band made a record of this in 1933.

Here's one that you all know from Listen With Mother, but did you know the title? It's the Berceuse from the Dolly Suite by Gabriel Fauré played by the Labéque Sisters:-
And while we are playing lullabies, here is Chopin's Berceuse - the pianist is Jayson Gillham.

I had to put up the Fauré one as I'm in my second childhood, Pete. :)

Just been busy with yet another war memorial project in Bournemouth for the last few days & probably most of next week, so not a lot of time to stick stuff on here. We've also got the roofers in at the moment.

Just been busy with yet another war memorial project in Bournemouth for the last few days & probably most of next week, so not a lot of time to stick stuff on here. We've also got the roofers in at the moment.

Don't forget us for too long Maurice, we rely on you to give us a touch of class!!
Lynn.

STUFF! we dont put stick STUFF! on here our Maurice,its "valuable information":grinning:

OK, tonight's selection comes from Russian, German, and French composers in that order.
First comes Tchaikovsky's Andante from the String Quartet No. 1
- echoes of the Song of Volga Boatmen!
Next we have the well known Air on the G String by Bach
- or Hamlet Cigars if you prefer!
- Anastasiya Petryshak on violin at Milan, Basilica sant'Ambrogio, 2015
And finally Debussy's The Girl with the Flaxen Hair and at the piano is Eloïse Bella Kohn. That's it for tonight. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back