• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gone out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two prams of the type which have gone out of fashion show in the old photo and other items but it was 70 years ago ... :)
The little girl's pram is clearly modelled on a full-size pram, the adults looks like an in-between pram/push chair, the push chair, like most modern buggies, putting the child in a sitting position. (I suspect that the back of the larger pram can be swung down).
My sister had a high-quality toy push chair that might have been made by Pedigree or at least under licence to them. I got great pleasure by folding the hood and handle down and pretending it was a train. The pavements by us were in a 2/3/2 slab pattern, giving three crack lines along the length, dividing the pavement into four tracks, the outer 'slow' lines and the inner 'fast' lines. Simpler times when one had to use one's imagination!

I was allowed to go to the chip shop on my own with my toy pram and bring them back in the bottom compartment, wrapped in newspaper to keep hot. The newspaper wrapping went out of fashion because it's not hygenic but I can't imagine letting a child do that nowadays either!
rosie.

Looks like it might have been a classy pram when first bought ...but these days not fashionable for scrap collecting!
I saw a 'scrap man' today in his white van, not a bit like this 'scrap man' from the 1970's. Just thinking, 1970 seems like only yesterday to me !
index.php

Looks like it might have been a classy pram when first bought ...but these days not fashionable for scrap collecting!
oldMohawk, we watch Time Team just about every night, we have the entire series on Amazon Prime so the 70's in the scheme of things is yesterday :cool: . My son in law who was born in Texas and quite into history sent me something about a mine in Cheshire that was recently (I think) found quite complete that was 200 years old! The night before we had watched something on TT from 1,500 BC. These comments are not intended to detract from anything.

Nowadays the major supermarkets in Birmingham will 'sell' the budding scrap metal dealer a collecting trolley for only £1!
Meanwhile the established scrap metal dealers are subjected to ever more controls or are forced to move premises to make way for new developments.
I must say the free doorstep scrap metal collection service in Birmingham is excellent, often stuff removed within the hour and not even requiring a phone call!

Over here, we sometimes have what I would translate as rubbish exchange days. Households will clear out the bigger items that they no longer consider fashionable in their houses, and leave a pile accessible by the gate. People drive about with trailers picking up 'stuff' from the piles, obviously just what they have been looking for. At the end of the day, the official rubbish collection service comes round with suitable vehicles and clears up. Looking at some of the stuff, it would have already been well out of fashion when I was a nipper in Brum. The equivalent of the 'Burco' boiler, old rocking chairs, chairs and settees with flowery covers and knobbly wooden legs, very ornate wardrobes, corroded tin baths, commodes (as in English, not French).

Totally off topic. 3 days of 42 deg C forecast here from today.

Andrew.

Over here, we sometimes have what I would translate as rubbish exchange days. Households will clear out the bigger items that they no longer consider fashionable in their houses, and leave a pile accessible by the gate. People drive about with trailers picking up 'stuff' from the piles, obviously just what they have been looking for. At the end of the day, the official rubbish collection service comes round with suitable vehicles and clears up. Looking at some of the stuff, it would have already been well out of fashion when I was a nipper in Brum. The equivalent of the 'Burco' boiler, old rocking chairs, chairs and settees with flowery covers and knobbly wooden legs, very ornate wardrobes, corroded tin baths, commodes (as in English, not French).

Totally off topic. 3 days of 42 deg C forecast here from today.

Andrew.
Andrew, we have something similar, community garage sales where those in the same community sell their junk and flee markets where vendors sell the stuff they have picked up. Totally agree with your analysis, however we have a Neighbour that has a store called Classey Cat where all she sells is used consignment old furniture. I might add she does VERY well, even though I think it was outdated 40 to 50 years ago!

Over at 'Ghost Signs' mention has been made of 'Barbers Tea'. Has anyone else noticed how our traditional Barber's pole, (as in hair cutter), has been quietly changed over the years?

The story that I was told as a child was that barbers used to engage in the odd bit of surgery and their white and red pole represented clean and bloodied bandages. Look around now and for the most part the modern version is red, white and blue!

Who stole that bit of our history and why?

Over at 'Ghost Signs' mention has been made of 'Barbers Tea'. Has anyone else noticed how our traditional Barber's pole, (as in hair cutter), has been quietly changed over the years?

The story that I was told as a child was that barbers used to engage in the odd bit of surgery and their white and red pole represented clean and bloodied bandages. Look around now and for the most part the modern version is red, white and blue!

Who stole that bit of our history and why?
I have heard something like that!

The following link is interesting to read, and blames the Americans for bastardising the pole with blue stripes to make it look like the colours of their flag, though also says that blue is the colour of venous blood and red arterial blood

The pram in the pic went out of fashion many years ago ... who would want to push a pram with metal wheels when prams with solid rubber tyres became available. There are various reasons why things go out of fashion ... that's the way things are ... :)
I look at this pic and for some reason I get the impression that the only man in the pic is walking by hoping no one has seen him ....he looks furtive !
The wheels on that pram look like the wheels on the mystery cart in post #182 (can't repair link because target thread is locked)
vvv.jpeg

Does anyone remember the sets of blue, red, green and yellow vertical lights found in factories? I think they may have been some sort of semaphore system.

There were some in the old Science Museum on Newhall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back